Brewer Fanatic

De La Rosa

Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in independant baseball shortly. Although I'm sure some major league organization will sign him for there AAA team. Lots of talent here but not the mental makeup to succeed at the major league level. Kind of reminds me of Jeffress except without the drugs.

Kind of reminds me of Jeffress except without the drugs.

I don't think that's fair to Jeffress. He has never pitched above single A. I don't really think his problems are on the diamond like JDLR's are. All indications are that Jeffress will be a good pitcher if he can handle the drug issue.

I think comparing him to Jeffress is fair. Jeffress's drug issue shows a large mental lapse. Maybe it's not the same type of lapse as De La Rosa's but what's the difference? Either you got it or you don't and neither of them seem to have it. They have the raw talent but don't know how to use it and put it together.

Gopher74, I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone else is to theirs.

Never even suggested you weren't. I did call into question riping a guy and essentially calling him an idiot because he cant' throw strikes. I'd imagine there have been quite a few pitchers with good velocity and movement on their pitches who can't always throw it where they want it.

What I saw when he was a The Royals are not stocked with exceptional pitching, yet they let him go for nothing.

Yea? I'd never argue that they were.

And the issue is neither talent nor "stuff." That seems pretty clear, then, where the issue lies.

Simple control's not an option? The only other option is that he's stupid? Hmmm...

Again, you don't have to agree with me. That's just how I see it.

Yea, got it. Again, I'll just stick with control. The kid's 26 years old. I just look at it like he's had control issues like hundreds of other pitchers with talent have had. Namely left handers. But since I don't know him, and don't know a thing about him other than his numbers, I don't have an option beyond the simple fact that he doesn't have control.

Well, to close this can of worms i've unwittingly opened, Jorge cleared waivers, and will be traded imminently to Colorado, where I have little doubt his career will implode upon itself in the thin air. Hopefully i'm wrong, but I have significant doubts. I still say he's a better option than McClung, but mine, as has been displayed, is just one amongst many. Go Crew!

Control as a main physical/pitching issue? No doubt, Gopher74, but not the only one.

The guy's only pitched several years in the minors with good success. By this point it should be obvious what he needed to do to be successful in tough situations. The fact that after years of training he'd lose his focus, composure, whatever, and not do what made him successful all along, what got him out of trouble, what stopped the bleeding, so to speak, doesn't speak well at all to his mental makeup. It wasn't just that he couldn't throw strikes. He couldn't get guys out. That's hardly just a control issue.

My comment about "50 cent head" was intended merely as a figure of speech meaning "hasn't shown the mental makeup to be a major league pitcher." I'm not qualified to attest to anyone's IQ, nor would I violate data privacy if I were in a position to know anything about it anyway.

I'd imagine there have been quite a few pitchers with good velocity and movement on their pitches who can't always throw it where they want it.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/2006/04/02/s5ergou2.jpg

Mongo like nice fan with good hair!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived