Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost IV Offered the Opportunity to Coach

Mass Haas

Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I had pretty strong opinions about him which I've kept to myself. I will say I think it's generous of the Brewers to make the offer.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I had pretty strong opinions about him which I've kept to myself. I will say I think it's generous of the Brewers to make the offer.

How strongly can you feel about a guy in the lower levels who's never going to make a big league team? Just because he's Yost's son?

Last year for sure and even the year before that it was pretty clear that Yost IV was not getting prospect treatment. You need utility/bench guys in the minors just like in the majors, so I don't see any particular harm. Now if he had spent 6 years getting starter ABs and blocking other players I could see a reason for concern.

I have no problems with Ned, I'm one his few supporters left around here. I just didn't like signing his kid who's not very talented. I had no problem with Hart, I thought that was a classy move given all that had happened to the young man. I just don't like the gravy training... regardless if he's a nice guy or not. I would rather the Brewers hire the best man for the job, and if IV is the best man than so be it. I highly doubt that's the case, which is why I said it was a pretty generous offer.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I remember reading scouting reports about Yost when he was still in college and when he played in the Northwoods League one summer about how he didn't really have the talent to succeed at the pro level, but was very much a coaching prospect much like his father. And from the story as it reads above, it doesn't sound as though the Brewers are handing him a coaching job, but they're holding him in extended spring training to groom him as a potential minor league coach/instructor. And what's the harm starting at the rookie level? He's an easy target because he's the Manager's son, but really, how do we know that he's not worthy of such a job?

And as TC noted, every coach has to start somewhere.

The year he played in Wausau, he was a man among boys...big, tall, and muscular; and every throw to 2B between innings was right on the bag. Hard to believe he topped out in high A after looking like an unstoppable force among college kids.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tom Haudricourt of the J-S:

Ned Yost said his son, Ned IV, had decided to take a coaching job in the farm system. The younger Yost had played three years in the system and was not guaranteed a roster spot at Class AA Huntsville, so he was offered a position as a hitting coach. He is scheduled to report to extended spring training this weekend to begin work.

Archived