Brewer Fanatic

Gamers, I need a recommendation

DSFastball55

I need help deciding what my next video game purchase will be. I've never been a big gamer, but just recently I bought a higher-end PC and thought I'd try out a couple games. I beat Call of Duty 4 on Veteran, and beat Portal as well. These games both came highly recommended to me and I loved both, but now a I need a new recommendation. I prefer non-multiplayer games, I just prefer doing missions and/or puzzles. Thanks!

If you're into roleplaying games then buy Oblivion and the expansion packs, but play them in order... that's a good 150+ hours of gaming.

I've always been down with Civilization, I just played my 40th game of that last night. It's a turned based game of global domination. Civ IV is pretty cheap and there are expansion packs for it as well. Once you get good you can finish a game in about 3 hours, but Civ IV is definately something that you generally save and them come back to later, I've had games that last 8-9 hours in the past.

If you like shooters, Halflife 2 was fantastic, and should be pretty cheap, I believe there are expansions for that as well, but I ruined my original disc and did not play past the original.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Why only recommendations from the gamers? What about the gritty battlers? The fighters?

I have nothing to add here other than the fact that this was a perfect reply. Nice work Ry...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

If you're into roleplaying games then buy Oblivion and the expansion packs, but play them in order... that's a good 150+ hours of gaming.

I've always been down with Civilization, I just played my 40th game of that last night. It's a turned based game of global domination. Civ IV is pretty cheap and there are expansion packs for it as well. Once you get good you can finish a game in about 3 hours, but Civ IV is definately something that you generally save and them come back to later, I've had games that last 8-9 hours in the past.

If you like shooters, Halflife 2 was fantastic, and should be pretty cheap, I believe there are expansions for that as well, but I ruined my original disc and did not play past the original.

Agreed. I wasn't a big fan of Hellgate London(FPS), but i heard it got decent reviews.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

sbrylski016.... He's alright for a stat geek....

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gears of War would probably be pretty fun if you like shooters. It might be kind of short though.

The time you'll spend playing Civilization isn't measured in hours, days, or weeks. It's measured in decades.

Once you purchase Civ IV, get ready for a lot of this: "Just one more turn!" (Like twelve times a night)

If you've already beaten Portal....chances are you already have Team Fortress 2. (I play it on PS3, since my PC's not nearly good enough to really game on.) I'm not big on FPS's personally, but I really enjoyed this one.

No offense to anyone, but I want nothing to do with games like Civilization or World of Warcraft. My one absolute requirement in a game is that there is an end. I think I actually prefer shorter games, like Portal. I had that beat in only maybe four hours or so. Yeah I've been debating whether or not to try Team Fortress or Half-Life 2, I think I'm leaning toward Half-Life 2. What do you guys know about Bioshock? That looks kind of interesting.

No offense to anyone, but I want nothing to do with games like Civilization or World of Warcraft. My one absolute requirement in a game is that there is an end. I think I actually prefer shorter games, like Portal. I had that beat in only maybe four hours or so. Yeah I've been debating whether or not to try Team Fortress or Half-Life 2, I think I'm leaning toward Half-Life 2. What do you guys know about Bioshock? That looks kind of interesting.

Civ and WoW are different. Civ is a game with a beginning and end, you can play just once if you really want, solo or online. (I only play solo.) But every game is going to be totally different, with different ways to win. So don't count it out just because you can play it more than once. You can adjust the game speed too, if you want to play a 2-3 hour game or a week long game.

Once you purchase Civ IV, get ready for a lot of this: "Just one more turn!" (Like twelve times a night)

If you only say that 12 times a night you aren't really a civ player.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Civ has an end. It can be played with multiple characters with their own unique abilities and you can adjust the victory conditions, terrain, world size, and multiple other aspects to make each new game it's own. It also has senarios to play out like the revolutionary war that ahve their own set of conditions. You can even chose to play a completely peaceful game which is more like a sim city type game for a change of pace. If you want all out war you can do that. Overall if you want one game that will challenge you Civ is it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Can't believe that I forgot to mention Season 1 of Sam & Max.

Haven't played it myself yet, but I have fond memories of Sam & Max Hit the Road.

The new season is available on GameTap, but you can buy the previous season in stores. (The game releases as episodic content, meaning a new 'episode' comes out every few weeks / months. This is something the gaming industry has expressed a good deal of interest in, but the Sam & Max development team is the only software developer that I know of that actually seems able to do it.)

endaround[/b]]This is the PC though. There is no rent. Bioshock can be found for $20 though
I appologize for not being clearer in my previous post. Bioshock is a very entertaining game. However it is very short with little or no replay value. It is not worth the $60 it was originally released for. If you can pick it up at a discounted price or borrow it from a friend it is definitely worth playing.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just got done playing Bioshock on the Xbox 360 yesterday. I have to rank it up there with one of the best games I've played. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to play games (only 1 or 2 hours a week, if I'm lucky) so I don't want games to be extremely difficult...I'd rather just enjoy the story and the gameplay. I am very thorough in games, so at the rate of 1 or two hours a week it took me a couple of months to finish on the medium difficulty (which wasn't very difficult). I'd imagine you could finish it in a weekend or so, but it's one of those games that you don't want to rush through. I'd highly recommend it.

Archived