Brewer Fanatic

6/27/07 Astros (Williams) @ Brewers (Suppan): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

I'll take 3 runs over 6 innings from Suppan anytime - he wasn't signed to all of a sudden dominate games, he's not that type of pitcher. If the Crew got a big hit in some of their own innings, they'd be up 5 or 6-3 right now.

Wake up, bats!

-----------------------

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Soup seems to be channeling Bill Wegman. I always remember Wegman for giving up a lead as soon as it was given to him.

There are many pitchers like this. This is why I don't agree with Sabrematricians that say pitchers W-L is pretty useless. Some pitchers just know how to hold on to a lead. If you only score one run, the pitcher will shut them out. If you score 6, he may give up 4 or 5. If you have a lot of the latter, the ERA etc. won't look very good, but wins are what matters. I am not saying W-L is the be-all, end-all, but it is more important than many give it credit for.

Anyone else starting to question Suppan. I know he is just on a bad stretch right now, but he has only pitched out of the 6th inning in 5 of his 16 starts. In 2 of those 5 starts, he has given up 4 or more runs.

Suppan: 8-7, 4.91 ERA, 87 ERA+, 1.49 WHIP, 48 K's

Vargas: 6-1, 4.29 ERA, 92 ERA+, 1.50 WHIP, 69 K's

Bush: 5-6, 5.12 ERA, 82 ERA+, 1.332 WHIP, 68 K's

Most fans think either Bush or Vargas should be going to the pen when Cap comes back. If you look at these three, there really isnt much difference. While I know Soup isnt going to the pen, its kind of frightening knowing that he is the one making 11 million per year.

Suppan: 8-7, 4.91 ERA, 87 ERA+, 1.49 WHIP, 48 K's

Vargas: 6-1, 4.29 ERA, 92 ERA+, 1.50 WHIP, 69 K's

Bush: 5-6, 5.12 ERA, 82 ERA+, 1.332 WHIP, 68 K's

I wonder how many people think Bush or Vargas will be making $11 million one day?

If he was putting up the line he did today every time out, then i would say he is earning his contract. To me, his outing today was okay, but not great. Maybe my standards are higher than average, but i doubt it. Soup has been struggling for well over a month.

Archived