Brewer Fanatic

Starting Rotation Announced

brewjihad

Nothing unexpected, however, following Ned's comments about having a veteran pitch the home opener I thought Bush and Villy would be flipped. Parra is in the 5 slot so he doesn't have to pitch as much, as was expected.

1. RHP Ben Sheets

2. RHP Jeff Suppan

3. RHP Dave Bush

4. RHP Carlos Villanueva

5. LHP Manny Parra

The blog says the 4 starter is Vargas, and that isn't right. I expect it to be changed soon.

EDIT: They fixed it now. Villanueva is listed as the fourth starter.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/03/25/rotation-is-lined-up.aspx

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to spring training this year but what exactly has Dave Bush done to earn a starting spot?
Seeing our other options are Chris Narveson, Seth McClung or Zack Jackson...the answer is "more than enough".

I know I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to spring training this year but what exactly has Dave Bush done to earn a starting spot?

Who else would you suggest? He's won 12 games each of the last two years and has an ERA of around 5.00. Not exactly a terrific number for a number three in the rotation, but not terrible either, and other than swapping him and Villanueva, there aren't too many other options for now. He's reliable too, making 30+ starts both of the last two years. I don't see why he wouldn't have a starting spot.

If you count Parra, Bush, Vargas, CV, Sheets, Suppan as our six viable options, then this is easily the best five out of those six.

What will be very interesting is what happens when Yo gets back. I have been dreaming of a Sheets/Gallardo/Parra/Villanueva/Suppan rotation, but realize that is probably far fetched.

We're going with our top five starters available though, I think that is what most people wanted.

From a Brewers.com story just posted a little while ago:

Manager Ned Yost announced his rotation as "95 percent" set, though he said left-hander Chris Narveson drew some votes during a Tuesday morning meeting of club officials, and that an injury over the final four Spring Training games could change things. Villanueva's selection as the No. 4 starter was of particular interest, since his debut will come in the sold-out, April 4 Miller Park opener against the Giants.
Narveson drew votes... I don't know what to say. I guess that means they have confidence in him as a possible fill-in, which is good, but that also means that there are some crazy people voting at these meetings.

I tell ya I like Villy and Parra as a number 4 and 5 pitcher, but Bush and Suppan are ugly as 3 and 2. It's kinda like yelling uncle that first series.

Where they are placed in the rotation isn't that relevant, what is more relevant is how talented/productive the rotation is as a whole. The reason they are placing Parra fifth is to skip him on occasion to limit innings.

It's kinda like yelling uncle that first series.

Well, they'll be facing Lilly and Dempster against the Cubs. The Bush vs. Dempster advantage would go to us.

How sweet will it be to have a series of Villy, Parra and Sheets?

I tell ya I like Villy and Parra as a number 4 and 5 pitcher, but Bush and Suppan are ugly as 3 and 2. It's kinda like yelling uncle that first series.

Villy obviously placed in the 4th spot so that he starts the home opener. Obviously these things change over time. If they followed the Cubs series up with another couple road games, I gotta believe it would go Sheets, Suppan, Villy, Bush, Parra. With the way the weather is around the Midwest these days, that order is going to last about 2 days before things get juggled around. Heck, we may be lucky if they get a single game in at Wrigley.

Think the Giants will regret the "Wayne Franklin for Carlos Villanueva" deal when we face them in the 4th game of the season?

Compared to that rape job when they traded Liriano, Nathan, and Bonsor for a decent catcher, the Villanueva trade has to look like a not so bad trade.

Think the Giants will regret the "Wayne Franklin for Carlos Villanueva" deal when we face them in the 4th game of the season?

Compared to that rape job when they traded Liriano, Nathan, and Bonsor for a decent catcher, the Villanueva trade has to look like a not so bad trade.

The difference there was Pierzynski looked like an .300 hitting catcher, Wayne Franklin looked like Wayne Franklin

Ooh...way, that one still has to be very uncomfortable for Sabean.

AJAY wrote:

(I am so relieved all this stupid talk of sending him down is finally over)

1. I wouldn't call it stupid

2. It is only over untill Gallardo comes back.

Not a guarantee. The options, when Yo gets back are:

Bush to long relief, McClung released

Parra to AAA

Parra to long relief, McClung released

Villanueva to AAA

They said Villanueva will only be a starter and will never be in the pen again. Personally, of all those options, I would take either Bush to LR and McClung released or Parra to long relief and McClung released. My ideal rotation is Sheets/Gallardo/Suppan/Villanueva/Parra, but I know they want to limit his innings.

So.....

Who gets bumped from the rotation when Yo comes back?

1. Bush gets sent to the pen

2. Villy gets sent to the pen

3. Parra gets sent to AAA

4. Villy gets sent to AAA

Obviously Bush could get sent down to AAA or Parra could get moved to the pen, but I think these moves are very unlikely. I hope its #1, but won't be hugely disappointed if its #2 (no 3 or 4 please!).

I think Villy's value in the pen isn't as great as it was last year. Our bullpen is much improved, and has a few guys that can go multiple innings. Maybe Bush is traded at some point?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

They have said they only view Villanueva as a starter. My guess as the two most likely scenarios are Parra to AAA or Parra to LR and McClung released, but I hope I'm wrong, because I really want Parra in the rotation. The one positive for people hoping for that is that Parra is a lefty.

The real question is, how many starts can we realistically skip for Parra to limit his innings.

Archived