Brewer Fanatic

4/23/07 Brewers (Vargas) @ Cubs (Zambrano): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MillerParkSouth...they'll probably be reshowing the game tomorrow at noon or 1, if you know anyone that lives up here you could try to get them to record it for you...I'd offer but I'm at school and my computer DVR thing is at home.

Good luck.

Oh my everlovin' god, what a game! My heart has only just slowed down to marathon runner, thanks to the relaxing qualities of a 50 page IGT!

Winning ballclubs win these games. It's way too early to start anointing anyone, but this win should be used to motivate us every time the Crew goes behind this year. Wow...

I'm so incredibly happy after this win that it feels inappropriate to mention anything negative, but I've been asked, as a fan of Yost, to explain why I like his style. Here's why.

The talking to he gave Villy to get him back on track was managing his players. Everything else is just rolling dice and playing percentages...

GO BREWERS!!!

This is the type of game that gets me thinking this year really will be different...other years this was the type of game the team packed it in early...hopefully a sign of good things to come.

I'm out tho, early class tomorrow, lets get another one tomorrow!

My final thoughts from tonight's (last night's?) game:

Maddux and Yost must be incredible motivational speakers. Each time they went out to the mound, it served its purpose and killed any rally the Cubs started. Yost may or may not get credit for it, but he pushed all the right buttons tonight.

Jenkins is an incredible defensive outfielder. He's also helping this team much more by shortening his stroke and looking for the opposite field single as opposed to swinging for the fences each at bat.

Bill Hall will be solid in CF by the All-Star break. He's looking more and more comfortable out there each day, even if he doesn't make every play. It was the right call to move him to the outfield and get both him and Hardy on the field at the same time.

As good as Braun is looking in Nashville, it's best to leave him there right now and not try to fix what's not broken.

All I could think of while Prince's GW HR was in the air was "I took him deep, Daddy".

Most importantly....beating the Cubs is fun. Let's do it again tomorrow!

I can't believe there have been 10+ pages on this thread since the game ended. Are you guys just fooling me and re-watching the cheese sandwich game?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I love this team. These guys never, never quit. As much as I have railed on him, Yost did a great job managing tonight. I want to know what he said to Villanueva after the 4 pitch walk, but he was a different pitcher after that. Talk about some major huevos though, Villanueva made some great pitches in tough situations, against guys who have worn out Brewer pitching before.

Good team effort, though. Hardy with a homer and stellar defense, TG2 with an RBI, Counsell, Jenks, the pen, and of course Prince. I really, really like what's brewin.

Quote:
This is the type of game that gets me thinking this year really will be different...other years this was the type of game the team packed it in early...

+1. This was definitely not a "Same Old Brewers" type of game.

Quote:
I want to know what he said to Villanueva after the 4 pitch walk

From JS Online . . . .

"I said, 'Look, this is your game to win or lose, so you might as well stand out here, get on the attack, get after these guys and win a ball game,'"Yost said."'If you can hold them, we'll score you a run.'

"I said, 'Look, this is your game to win or lose, so you might as well stand out here, get on the attack, get after these guys and win a ball game,'"Yost said."'If you can hold them, we'll score you a run.'

That is the mark of a great Manager. After tonight, I'm done criticizing Yost for a good long while.

Wow. I just back from the game/finished reading this monster in game thread, which took upwards of 50 minutes. I don't know what to really add what has already been said. I'm just lucky to say that I was in the bleachers for that game, probably the best baseball game I've been to in my life. It shows how awesome brewerfan.net is in that right after the game, I didn't talk to my friends about Fielder or Villy, but how excited I was to read the brewerfan.net IGT. Once again, wow.

Awesome game. Just got back myself. Stayed about an hour after the game to get some player autographs and send forth my congratulations.

Tidbits:

-Sheets and CoCo left thru the fan gates. Got both of them. Sheets walked right out onto the streets and hailed a cab relatively quickly. CoCo met this very attractive blonde woman and as he signed I said "good to get you some rest today huh?" and he said "Yeah, I needed it." He actually stopped to sign for about 10 of us and was a real cool cat.

-Capuano stopped by us before heading onto the bus and shot the breeze for a good 5 mins. He was talking about Pats football (being a MA guy) and talked a little about today's game and heckled some Cubs fans.

-T Gwynn signed and as he was signing Prince was too. Unfortunately couldn't get Prince because he moved down the line to sign but I got in my congrats for the 2 bombs and he seemed pretty upbeat and friendly.

-Bill "taking it to the opposite field" Schroeder was kind enough to stop by. Didn't really bother getting him to sign, but he said "Cubs fans should be used to being in last."

-Uecker was the second from last to get on the bus and he didn't stop to sign but he waved to us and gave a little nod.

-Geoff Jenkins (who's notoriously hard to get to sign, I heard) stopped when a kid called out "USC!" Estrada was about to get on the bus, but he came over when I yelled "Hey, we're Brewers fans!"

It was an awesome game to see and I was so thrilled to hear the stunned silence as the game ended. I made my presence felt and sure saw my share of Brewers' jerseys and hats. I will be back out there on Wednesday to try and bring my record to 3-0 on the year!

BTW: Turnbow = nasty today. Unhittable.

GO BREW CREW!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/SeriesFinale75/jenks423.jpg

http://overcaffeinated.net/images/caovoador.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/SeriesFinale75/Uecker.gif

(Thanks AJAY!)

Not to beat a dead horse here on page 50, but all I can say is awesome. I just got back from the game, and couldn't help smiling a bit during the "Let's Go Brewers" chants that could be heard around the stadium in the 12th. Perhaps I am just a bit caught up in the moment, but it seemed like Brewer nation was out at Wrigley tonight, fans becoming more vocal, and certainly after the game there were high fives to go around for anyone wearing Brewers gear. I think I might have to call in for work tomorrow since I'll be hoarse anyways but it was without question one of the top five baseball games I have ever attended in my life.

Excuse this post if its a bit too rah-rah; its late and that win was incredible.

Archived