Brewer Fanatic

4/23/07 Brewers (Vargas) @ Cubs (Zambrano): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This win is so awesome I'm declaring tomorrow my official "Ned Yost Amnesty Day". I will not question, discuss or speak ill of Ned tomorrow.

I will even change my signature for the day.

If they win tomorrow I might extend it to Amnesty Week.

Awesome team win by the Brewers.

47 pages? Are you kidding me? Great job bf.net nation.

Wow, I am proud of these guys tonight. Chipping away at a 4 run lead to win at Wrigley. Beautiful.

I've gotta give my props to Ned Yost today. He had some tough decisions to make, but I was especially impressed by his handling of the pitchers. IMO you don't see enough visits to the mound by the manager. If a guy isn't focused or not following the gameplan, the manager should get out there and set the guy straight, and that's what Ned did...Twice. In the first to Vargas, and later to Villaneuva. After each visit, the difference was incredible.

Call me crazy, I don't know what it is so far, but Ned has a fire in his eyes that I am really liking right now.

player of the game...

I gotta go with Prince and Villy, but I want to say Jenkins.

I can't believe how many posts for this game...this is unfortunately my first one of the night.

Go Crew....Gotta give Yost some major love!!

Weather might not be super horrible. Current forecast for tommorow night.

A few showers in the evening becoming steady overnight. Low 48F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

If Soup and get into end of season form, he should be able to eat up some inning.

Great game- total heartbreaker for the Cubbies. :)

Did anybody notice that the Brewers were allowed three mound visits to Villanueva without being forced to pull him? I counted the visit by Yost in the 8th, Maddux in the 9th, and Maddux again in the 11th. Am I wrong, or did the Brewers just get the benefit of Pinella not knowing the rules, and the umpire getting caught up in the tense nature of the game and not forcing the issue?

I've got to catch the final bus here in about 10 minutes. If that game would still be going on, I'd sleep in the library. Sorry if I'm overposting, but I'm so psyched over this win. Prince and Carlos. Right this moment they're my favorite people in the world.

Quote:
Did anybody notice that the Brewers were allowed three mound visits to Villanueva without being forced to pull him? I counted the visit by Yost in the 8th, Maddux in the 9th, and Maddux again in the 11th. Am I wrong, or did the Brewers just get the benefit of Pinella not knowing the rules, and the umpire getting caught up in the tense nature of the game and not forcing the issue?

Lou Piniella knew the rules. There was no infraction. Here is the MLB Rule on mound visits and pitcher replacements:

A professional league shall adopt the following rule pertaining to the visit of the manager or coach to the pitcher:

(a) This rule limits the number of trips a manager or coach may make to any one pitcher in any one inning;

(b) A second trip to the same pitcher in the same inning will cause this pitcher?s automatic removal;

© The manager or coach is prohibited from making a second visit to the mound while the same batter is at bat, but

(d) if a pinch-hitter is substituted for this batter, the manager or coach may make a second visit to the mound, but must remove the pitcher.

A manager or coach is considered to have concluded his visit to the mound when he leaves the 18-foot circle surrounding the pitcher?s rubber.

Archived