Brewer Fanatic

Melvin to be on 1250 AM in a few minutes

danzig6767

Did Melvin just tip off who is going to be the backup catcher? He said they have a good idea about who is going to be the back up, but didn't say who. Then, when Cliff asked about Kendall hitting 9th he said, "With Rivera, you can't do that." Or something very similar. Did Doug just give it away?
Follow me on Twitter

I caught that too, he didn't say with Munson.

Also sidenoted, for everyone who believe Ned Yost makes all the game decisions ever made and should be blamed for everything because he rules with an iron fist, decisions LIKE batting the catcher 9th come from a collective goup decision making process.

The commitment to the young pitchers in the rotation clearly works in Rivera's favor as the backup. He's caught these guys in the minors when they were successful. They obviously have a nice connection. That in my mind overides whatever edge Munson would give with the bat.

decisions LIKE batting the catcher 9th come from a collective goup decision making process.

But most people here like that idea, and recognize that Ned isn't the only brain at work.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Which is why I said "decisions LIKE" implying that there are many, many, decisions that people here rip him only for that are made by others in the organization. It's probably the lone thing that drives me nuts about things like talk radio. People think he is like the Stalin of baseball, and should be blamed 100% for every bad decision that gets made.

Check out some of the comments on Haudricort's blog. Half the people blame Yost for getting rid of Vargas and keeping McClung. The other half think it was great for Melvin to stand up to Yost and his desire to keep Vargas.

I'm not saying that there's a Mensa convention or anything going on over there, but still, give Yost a little credit for being part of the decision-making team.

How many games did Rivera catch Yo and Parra?

I can't be sure, but I'm guessing he caught Manny's perfect game at AAA last year. Unless he had that day off. He's obviously caught them more than Munson, of course. Regardless, he's about 31 now and if he's going to get a chance, now is the time.

I'm pretty sure they have already said whoever is not kept will be released. AAA is not an option for either catcher.

They have no catching depth without Captain Lou. Rivera is unlikely to draw any interest again and Munson not much more. They'll send somebody down.

They have no catching depth without Captain Lou. Rivera is unlikely to draw any interest again and Munson not much more. They'll send somebody down.
I believe whomever they would try to send down would have to accept. Rivera and Munson are both decent back-ups at the MLB level.

They are very good 3rd catchers to have in AAA in case of an emergency. I can't imagine either of them accepting backing up Rottino in AAA over other opportunities. (I am sure at least one club would take them as a starter in AAA)

Check out some of the comments on Haudricort's blog. Half the people blame Yost for getting rid of Vargas and keeping McClung. The other half think it was great for Melvin to stand up to Yost and his desire to keep Vargas.
Yeah I was saying to somebody just the other day that the hiring of Simmons was bad for Yost. If Yost gets better all the credit will go to Simmons and if he doesn't it will be because he didn't listen to Simmons.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The only problem Yost has is in the middle of a game decision. Something tells me DM has very little input on who to PH or which reliever to use.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived