Brewer Fanatic

Claudio Vargas released

homer

Other teams wanted to do what the Brewers wanted with Vargas - have him spend a portion of the year at AAA. Since he has no options left, there weren't any takers.

With all due respect, what are you talking about? How do you know that teams wanted to have Vargas at AAA?

And quite frankly, if they did, why would they even want to acquire him?

Can't we finally end the debate and just say that teams weren't interested in Claudio Vargas at that price...I mean it's pretty damn obvious.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all due respect, what are you talking about? How do you know that teams wanted to have Vargas at AAA?

That's been discussed in this thread.

And quite frankly, if they did, why would they even want to acquire him?

Because teams always want & need more SP depth. You really can never have enough.

Can't we finally end the debate and just say that teams weren't interested in Claudio Vargas at that price...I mean it's pretty damn obvious.

I wouldn't, because it's not all that accurate.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I really like this move after seeing they will pocket the $3MM. Obviously, Vargas showed last year that he was unable to help this club, and his low innings really hurt the team. He wasn't in the top 6 (Bush is 6th when Yo returns) and maybe not even top 7 (Narveson).

If 2 pitchers down for the Crew, did they really want to use use Vargas in a pinch? No. Either some minor leaguer will emerge (Narveson) or they will trade for a playoff run, in which case they would want to upgrade anyways. Chances are, someone is going to want to dump salary, in which case they can use Vargas' $3M and get something out of it they can use.

It reminds me of my recent experiences in trying to buy a new house. We looked at a number and finally were ready to make an offer but the house had sold. We found another house 3 doors down over looking the same park and with the same sq. footage, upgrades, etc. and made an offer. The second seller would not come down on price even when confronted with the the neighbor's house selling for 5% lower than seller #2's price, so we walked we'll find another house. They are the ones who have to sell, we don't have to buy.

What does this have to do with Vargas? I think it points out that we as fans tend to overvalue our home team's players.

I am sure there is a market for Vargas but apparently the price is somewhere less than $3.6MM/year and/or whatever the Brewers thought they could get for him.

Give it up guys jez. 126 replies on Vargas being released. If he was so valuable he would've been claimed by another club. And unless you guys have proof that Vargas/Cappy/Bush etc had decent worth during the off-season before Spring prove it.

It's very possible that Melvin got offered very very very minimal in what would have been the return for trading either of those three, so he said "you know what screw it, I'm better off taking them to ST and playing it out, then trading them for pennies on the dollar". And you know what that seems very very plausable and realistic of what he may have thought in the process. It's just not even worth it to make the trade.

Sure again you can look back now and say at this point he shouldve taken it even if it was pennies on the dollar.. considering Cappy is hurt, and Vargas is now released, but thats the game of baseball. You can't predict/tell the future what will happen, you can't predict Wes Helms falling down in the tunnel at RFK stadium, you can't predict Sheets having an atrocious season or a Cy Young season. It's all about opinion attempting at juding talent and ATTEMPTING to predict things, but it doesn't always work out 100% of the time, and if it did, everyteam would be a 100+ win team hypothetically.. The Brewers at the end of the season may wish that the FA Corey Patterson had been with them (say he ends with .320BA/28HR/47SB line..).. along with all the other major league teams in baseball who wish they would've signed him, when he was spraling for a job with every potentially every club..

Teams want and need starting pitching depth, sure, but not at that price TLB. I'm not sure what leg you really have to stand on in your argument. The Brewers just released that valuable depth that they supposedly wanted and needed. Why? One reason is they couldn't trade him to another team who supposedly wants and needs him. Why? Because he makes too much money for what he is. If he had any trade value he would have been traded. Simple as that.

It's about time.

Those were close to my exact thoughts. After watching Claudio pitch last year, I came to the conclusion that he is a reliever pretending to be a starter.

I don't consider this a loss of depth because I never really viewed him as depth. Good riddance, but good luck to Claudio.

I absolutely LOVE this move. Vargas has always had a high ERA and doesn't go deep into games enough. He is slow on the mound and is prone to long innings. He nibbles a lot and gets into high pitch counts. This doesn't exactly help keep our defense sharp. I like that we save money too. And I love that it guarantees Villanueva a spot because he deserves one.

If someone had to be released, I think Vargas is the best choice. There is a reason he has bounced around so much the last few years. I was actually surprised he wasn't released after last year.

Could not be happier.

Sheets

Suppan

Villy

Bush

Parra

After Yo gets back

Release McClung

Sheets

Suppan

Gallardo

Villy

Bush

Parra long

And if Sheets or someone go down, its not like we can't trade for a arm at the deadline. And for everyone to say Varges is a solid number 5 starter, well we have a better number 5 on our team in Parra. This is great news.

Actually, if we are still playing in October, the answer is probably that one of those 3 starters is probably not on the team yet, and won't be until sometime in July.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Okay, I'm done being angry. Kinda. Vargas would've been the perfect long relief guy for the Crew--eventually that will bite them in the butt. Seth? Give me a break. Walk, walk, Home run! Get used to it. The baseball season is long and injuries will happen. And again I think they'll regret not having him around to spot start.

Dumping salary--okay, I can accept that if they've got a plan. Are they going to sign one of the young guys to buy out some arby? Is there a plan?

But what really bugs me is, does Melvin know pitching? I'm convinced he doesn't. Not in Texas and not in Milwaukee. He should've known that the Brewer starters were adequate for a .500 club, but not for a true contender. He attacked the bullpen problem admirably, but the jury is still out--we'll see. I think it'll work, but it could also implode.

But he did absolutely nothing for the starters. i know I might be the only one who sees our starters as adequate but not much more, but I smell dissapointment coming on. thank god we're in the NL Central. Can you imagine the Crew in any other division. We'd be an also ran for sure. Okay ignore that, I'm ready to bite the head off another chicken.

Maybe Kaplar could pitch?

Teams want and need starting pitching depth, sure, but not at that price TLB. I'm not sure what leg you really have to stand on in your argument.

My argument is that it wasn't the $3 mil., like you seem to be saying - instead, the lack of minor-league options. That'd make any amount of salary the Brewers were or weren't willing to eat irrelevant. I'm fairly certain Vargas will be starting for an MLB team this season.

Give it up guys jez. 126 replies on Vargas being released.

Try this: don't read the thread.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Suddenly that Doug Davis trade last year doesn't seem as good.

There's nothing sudden about it. Ennder may appear to say that Davis and Vargas are the same guy, but I think most everyone else would agree that the Brewers came out behind in the deal...releasing Vargas doesn't really change the analysis much, though it does eliminate any further chances of him saving the deal.

Should have paid Sharpie the dough...

*sigh*

Now the only hope is that Mota does well enough to be traded at the break for some prospects.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Give it up guys jez. 126 replies on Vargas being released.

There was an 8 page thread when Russell Branyan signed a minor league deal. So we obsess a little.....big deal.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Likely true - does that have any bearing on Vargas aside from being one spot he may not have a chance to get?

No, just saying that it's not uncommon for guys who suck at pitching to pitch in the big leagues once in a while.

Watch the Cubs sign him and he'll throw a no-hitter against the Brewers sometime this season.

And I'm only half kidding. Losing the depth stinks, but the Brewers could probably find someone of equal caliber elsewhere...the only downside is that the Brewers will likely have to give up something of value in a trade if they don't decide to go the waivers route.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Watch the Cubs sign him and he'll throw a no-hitter against the Brewers sometime this season.

He could throw about six no-hit innings, but his pitch count would be in the thousands. A no-hitter maybe, but with about 30 walks.

Archived