Brewer Fanatic

Claudio Vargas released

homer

Look, the fact is they still have 6 major league starters and Villanueva and Parra belong in Milwaukee, not Nashville.

There will be guys coming available all over baseball this week that they can sign to bolster the Nashville rotation and restore some lost starter depth. But as I've said all along the team with the best starting pitchers usually wins, not the one with the most starting pitchers.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a surprise, I thought they would have been able to get a return similar to what the Brewers recieved for Jose Cappellan. Surprise but not the end of the world.

I just hope that the Brewers try and sign John Patterson to a minor league deal, maybe even offer him a deal with an out in it if he isn't on the big league club by June15th. Patterson would be a much better insurance policy than Naverson and Jackson

This is a surprise, I thought they would have been able to get a return similar to what the Brewers recieved for Jose Cappellan. Surprise but not the end of the world.

I just hope that the Brewers try and sign John Patterson to a minor league deal, maybe even offer him a deal with an out in it if he isn't on the big league club by June15th. Patterson would be a much better insurance policy than Naverson and Jackson

I highly doubt Patterson is any shape to offer anything this year. Maybe August at the earliest.

Vargas had a big drag on the relief as he couldn't go deep. But wow.. depth drying up. Sheets _HAS_ to stay Healthy this year now.

Sheets has to stay healthy every year.

Neither of the guys, Vargas or Capuano, are adequate replacements for Sheets. Teams that lose their ace don't have backup aces waiting their turn, they have 5th starter types at best and that's just what the Brewers had.

Wanting Villanueva in the rotation has nothing to do with releasing Vargas.

How does it not? With Vargas on the team it looked like CV would be in Nashville. Now with Vargas gone it appears that Villy is in the Milwaukee rotation. That's a pretty direct impact in my eyes.

According to what Yost said, it appears the Brewers could have sent him to triple A, but decided to just let him go. I was surprised he was cut and that they didn't send him to the minors as insurance. Right now they have 6 starters, so they should be okay if one of their starters go down, but if a second starter were to get hurt or perform badly enough to have to be taken out of the starting rotation, then Vargas might have been a good insurance option.

We'll see if they end up picking someone off of waivers as insurance. They could have also just really liked what they saw out of Narveson and decided that there wasn't much of a difference between the two, so they could save some money by just letting Vargas go. At least, I'm assuming they are saving some money by cutting him now instead of later.

Wanting Villanueva in the rotation has nothing to do with releasing Vargas.

How does it not? With Vargas on the team it looked like CV would be in Nashville. Now with Vargas gone it appears that Villy is in the Milwaukee rotation. That's a pretty direct impact in my eyes.

How many times must the name McClung be brought up? Can't wait until Suppan is scheduled to start and the Chicago game gets delayed 3 hours and McClung gets to take the mound.

"Here in spring training there are three pitchers who earned the right to pitch in our starting rotation who weren't in our rotation last year. Those are Manny Parra, Carlos Villanueva and Yovani Gallardo."

"I called a number of ball clubs over the past 7-10 days, and I had trouble garnering any interest ... the past two days he was on waivers, anyone could have claimed him for $20,000."

-DM

Does this mean we get to see Villy start the home opener? That would be great.

Cutting Vargas outright is a strange move but I think the impact it will have is very small. Melvin seems to be taking the "classy" road by saying that CV is a big leaguer and deserves to get a shot in the bigs with another club.

I guess I'll buy it.

How many times must the name McClung be brought up? Can't wait until Suppan is scheduled to start and the Chicago game gets delayed 3 hours and McClung gets to take the mound.

If you think McClung was the main factor, than that's your opinion and that's fine. I just don't think it was ever McClung vs. Villy in the Brewers eyes. If they didn't want to put Vargas in Nashville at his salary, I'm guessing they may not have wanted him as the long guy in the pen. I'm not saying that McClung > Vargas. I'm saying it's quite possible that McClung had nothing to do with this. Has anyone heard anything regarding the salary impact?

So, what happens when Gallardo returns? Parra to AAA I'm assuming.

So in about three weeks, we're looking at:

Rotation:

Sheets

Gallardo

Suppan

Villanueva

Bush

Bullpen:

McClung

Shouse

Riske

Mota

Torres

Turnbow

Gagne

That leaves us with one rotation replacement capable guy (Parra). If we have more than one rotation injury we're going to be filling it with absolute junk (likely someone worse than Vargas). That is the only reason I think we should have kept Vargas in the bullpen and not kept McClung. However, I am happy that Villy is in the rotation to start the year. There are thinks to like and dislike about this.

Are we not still on tap to pay his $3 million salary even after waiving him? if so, what was the point in waiving him? the post by rickie weeks jr above makes it sound as if vargus already went through waivers and went unclaimed and no club is going to pick up that $3 million slary, and can now sign him for the minimum leaving the brewers responsible for paying his actual salary.

have the waiver rules changes anY? or are we still on tap to pay him his entire salary even though waiving him? if so , this was not our smartest financial move ever made.

Well just got home and here is some very interesting Brewers news. So we released the pitching rain delay. Not sure this will be a big deal guys. Vargas was very average IMO. This is one of the reasons he has been shuffled around a number of times. He hasn't impressed anyone in the past to the point they'd keep him and didn't impress Doug enough to the point he wanted to waste 3M on a guy who wasn't going to be in the rotation or even in Milwaukee. I've always relied on the credo 'In Doug We Trust'. Still have no reason not too. The Brewers will be fine and will find someone if needed. One other thing I've noticed that really makes me grind my teeth. Everyone just assumes Sheets will be injured this year. Can we stop that? Until Benny actually has an injury that isn't a freak one how can we fairly assume he'll be injured?

So, if another would have claimed him off waivers then they would have had to pay the $3.6 million, right? If so that would be why no one claimed him. Now he becomes a free agent and will be signed for $1.5-2 million.

Boy that trade with Arizona didn't have a lot of legs did it?

Archived