Brewer Fanatic

Claudio Vargas released

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Heard a rumor Vargas was released today. Anyone confirm?

Edit: clarified subject

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goodbye starting pitcher depth.

Hello starting pitcher quality!

Boy, I spent the last half hour moaning how ridiculous it was for Villanueva not to be in rotation. I take it back.

I think I posted about a week ago one solution was to release either Vargas or Capuano (if they could not be traded). Let's hope Vargas gets claimed and they can save his entire salary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Sorry I don't have a link since it was something that was brought to my attention from a friend of a friend, but look for more details later today from the Brewers. "

That's how I found out. Maybe our friends have the same friends.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This is a bad move. We lose a starter and now we realease one. 6 MLB quality starters isn't enough to get through a season, especially when one will be on a strict innings count. I didn't want Vargas anywhere near the starting rotation unless we had several injuries, but I also didn't want him off the team completley. Well, since Cappy went down anyway.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This is a bad move. We lose a starter and now we realease one. 6 MLB quality starters isn't enough to get through a season, especially when one will be on a strict innings count. I didn't want Vargas anywhere near the starting rotation unless we had several injuries, but I also didn't want him off the team completley. Well, since Cappy went down anyway.

The only thing I get out of this is they are counting on Narveson. Which seems awfully risky to me.

Maybe they had to clear some money for Prince & Braun's long term contracts!

Parra or Villanueva will still end up in AAA when Gallardo comes back. But assuming the usual Ben Sheets DL trip, we certainly have lost a lot of depth.

I wonder if the Brewers maybe think Narveson can replace Vargas with similar results for a lot less money. (Or maybe Zack Jackson)

I still think we owe Vargas. Unless I am mistaken all MLB contracts are guaranteed. This does nothing, but kill our SP depth. I would rather rely on Vargas, who I think is pretty bad and a bulpen killer/nibbler, than a minor leaguer who has never pitched in the majors or a minor leaguer who had short starts every time out in the majors(Jackson).

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived