Brewer Fanatic

Shaving my head - help needed

brwrsfan

I can't find anyone that actually knows how to do this, but I'm guessing someone that reads this board can help me out. I've been shaving my head (with an electric razor) for the last 2-3 years. I always shave it with a "zero" level, which basically means there is no guard on the razor and it gets cut down to 1/8 of an inch, maybe shorter.

I've decided that I want to try the "completely bald" look. I've seen on TV shows where people put shaving cream on heads and use a razor to shave it, but this just doesn't seem to be the best tactic. Has anyone ever gone with the Mr. Clean look? And if so, how did you go about it? Is there a specific brand/model of razor I should use? It doesn't seem like the one I use on my face (Mach 3 Turbo) would really work all that well, as it doesn't really bend and my head is pretty round. Where do I go about getting these products?

Thanks for the help.

My GF was pretty upset when I did it initially...mainly because I didn't tell, I just did it. Though we were just starting to date at the time. She actually likes the shaved head look now, so that's cool. I have off of work next week, so I really want to try it then in case it just looks silly!

I went from small pony-tail length hair to completely bald from about age 20-22. Then I went back to the longer hair again for another year and now I'm back to just shaving with no guard on a normal hair trimmer. I loved the completely bald look but it was more of a pain (not hurting but in time involved) to do it. To get the best look, you basically have to shave it everyday and that can take some time. At first, I had someone else shave it but then I got the hang of it and was able to do it myself. It really only took about 10-15 minutes. I ended up usually doing it only once a week. I guess it really wouldn't take that long if you did it on a daily basis since there wouldn't be as much to take off. When I was doing it once a week, it took longer.

Anyway, I used my Mach3 Turbo, the same razor I used for my face, and shaving cream. I used the cream and not the gel, I've never been a big fan of gel. Basically shave the same way you would your face. I would start at the top of my head and work toward my face, with the grain. Then I'd start in the same spot at the top of my head and work toward my neck, with the grain. Then I'd go back against the grain until everything was smooth. The point where the grain changes (the top/back of the head) is the most difficult to get around but it's not too bad. There might be a little bit of irritation but it should subside after a shaving or two. One thing I will point out is to be aware of the changings you might not be able to see. When I starting growing my hair out again, my hairline was noticably thinner and receding. But I like the bald look so it's not that big of a deal.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I remember some commercial with Michael Jordan in it from like 8 years ago, in which Jordan said to shave your head from front to back. That's all I've got.

EDIT:? Actually, in this one he goes from top to front:

I haven't Bic'ed my head since college, but I always started with shaving cream. I typically started with the top of my head, then the sides and worked with the grain. Then I did the back with the grain next. I would then rinse off any excess cream and go against the grain using water. The back is essentially by touch, though it helps to have someone check on it once you are all finished to get the inevitable scraps you missed. The Mach 3 works great, so don't worry about getting another razor, just make sure you use a fresh blade, as you'll dull the thing by the end of it. Also, just remember to go slow. You have a lot more grooves and bumps on your head and you will get nicked up quite a bit no matter what, but you still want to try and minimize it as much as you can. Expect the whole process to take at least a half hour, if not an hour.

Nowadays I just use my clippers and shave my head as I don't like spending the time to Bic it nor do I like spending the money on new razors.

Most of the time I use clippers, but sometimes I use a razor blade.

I start with the clippers first, then go to the razor. After a once over where you still feel a little stubble, I run warm to hot water over my head and try to get everything as smooth as possible. Some of the stubble is residue that has already been cut. The water seems to work well.

I have come to grips with the fact that the Mr Clean look only lasts for a few hours before the stubble comes back anyway. So I don't lose any sleep if it isn't perfect.

I haven't Bic'ed my head since college, but I always started with shaving cream.

Must . . . make . . . .mental image . . . .go . . .away!!!

Well I suppose college is the place for that sort of experimenting.

Oh wait, you're talking about your DOME aren't you. Whew.

All I have to say is BE CAREFUL!

I shaved my head to avoid the embarrassment of having pink hair for the first badger home game of my sophomore year (we weren't wearing hats). the night before second game, i took off a quarter (yes, the coin) sized piece of skin from the top of my head while I was in the shower doing it. It bled so badly for about 2 hours, I almost went to the ER (thank god Meriter was a block away).

I like center to the front, back and sides.

Must . . . make . . . .mental image . . . .go . . .away!!!

Well I suppose college is the place for that sort of experimenting.

Well the first time I was still in High School. I was an early bloomer.

Most of the time I use clippers, but sometimes I use a razor blade.

I start with the clippers first, then go to the razor. After a once over where you still feel a little stubble, I run warm to hot water over my head and try to get everything as smooth as possible. Some of the stubble is residue that has already been cut. The water seems to work well.

I have come to grips with the fact that the Mr Clean look only lasts for a few hours before the stubble comes back anyway. So I don't lose any sleep if it isn't perfect.

I've been shaving my head for years ever since i did it while drunk, now i'd need to be paid to grow back hair. It feels refreshing in summer and it's nice never having to bother with my hair in certain weather situations.

As for how to shave it, i agree with weirdos. First i quick buzz it with my beard trimmer so the stubble on my head is very short. Then i simply use either shaving cream or soap after first wetting my head with hot water, both work fine. I've never bought a different razor for my head than what i used on my face, hell, i have even shaved my head with my daughters leg shaving razor.

The first few times i razored it, i got a few minor cuts. The key is to go slow he few few times so you get a feel for when you're going with the grain. I honestly couldn't explain which way that is for each spot on your head because now i just do it instinctively after so many times shaving it. The hardest spots IMO to get are around the ears the first few times you try it, in fact that's were i cut myself a few times. Once i think i'm done, i take a wash cloth to rinse my head and get any cut hair off. Then i both look in the mirror and feel around for any spots i missed. Once you get used to shaving your head, it goes quick, not much longer than shaving your face. Takes me 5-7 minutes max to shave the noggin.

I almost went to the ER (thank god Meriter was a block away).

I guess living a block away from Meriter was good for something. (BuckyTuba and I used to be neighbors - not that either of us knew it at the time.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

First I prop the lawnmower up onto concrete blocks. . .

Actually I've been doing the Wilbon for the past 6 years. I use a Wahl trimmer with no guard and down to zero, just like you, and then I lather up with shaving gel (Neutrogena works fine), and use a Mach 3 Turbo (with the lube strips, NOT the buzzing one).

I start at the front, and "comb" back right over the top, back to the back of my neck. My head is more rounded than pointy, and a pointy headed guy might want to start a little off center. Anyway, you just do it enough times to develop your own technique. Make sure you get the part on the back of your head up near the ears. That's usually good for a few stragglers.

You'd think that you'd hack yourself up a lot, but I seldom do. When you get a bleeder, though, it goes for quite awhile, so be careful.

So, all you people shaving your heads? Are you partially bald anyways or would you normally have a full, healthy, head of hair? As someone who is follically challenged, I have to say, I don't understand that behavior at all.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have lost a good portion of my hair by the nature of having all that masculine testoterone pumping through my body. Don't worry ladies, I'll protect you. . .

I shave every three weeks or so, so at shaving time, I am clipping hair, not stubble.

I neglected to advise brwrsfan earlier what every shaver knows, and that is to use a moisturizing lotion with sunscreen afterward. That's a painful sunburn.

And it's also a good time of the year to shave your head, as your face shouldn't been especially tan. If you wait until summer, you may have a few days when you have mismatched color.

Well Patrick, i shave my head for a few reasons

In my early 20's a first noticed some hair failing out. Given i think most balding guys look stupid when they try combing over strands of hair over a bald spot and/or i think guys look funny with no hair on their head except the sides, i told myself i'd never ever have one of those looks on my head.

Plus, once i shaved my head, i loved it. I not only like the look of it, i find it feels clean and refreshing, especially in summer. Now if i go a few days without shaving my head, i feel kinda grimy and scrubby like if i don't shave my face for a few days. The other big plus side is never having to worry about what my hair is doing if it rains out, is windy, or really muggy. I get out of the shower, shake my head, and my "hair" is fixed for the day.

The only downsides are in summer and winter. In winter if i forget my hat, it can be quite chilly not having any hair on the head. As for the summer, i love heat and baking in the sun. The first really hot sunny day of summer often brings with it a sunburnt scalp, but after the first burn, i'm fine the rest of summer.

Archived