Brewer Fanatic

number of spots to be open on 40-man roster by next week

djoctagone

the 40-man roster is currently full.

by next week, it's possible to expect any or all of the following:

1. either mike rivera or eric munson is outrighted from the 40-man roster, opening up one spot.

2. chris capuano is placed on or transferred to the 60-day disabled list, opening up one spot.

3. seth mcclung doesn't make the team and is outrighted from the 40-man roster, opening up one spot.

4. abraham nunez is added to the 40-man roster, much like joe dillon was last year, but reports to nashville.

one roster spot is opened up for sure when a catching decision is made, and another spot can easily be opened up with capuano's status.

any other likely scenarios? if you were doug melvin and gord ash, what would you do with the open spots?

I would keep the loser in the catching battle on the 40 man if possible. Kendall is likely to be terrible so it would be nice to not have to keep trotting him out there all year if he puts up an OPS in the .500s.

I would keep the loser in the catching battle on the 40 man if possible.

i don't know how that's possible without said loser also making the 25-man roster, as both players are out of minor league options. if said player is to remain in the organization, he will have to be outrighted and not claimed by another team.

Just as a heads-up, the Padres acquired Royals OF Justin Huber for a PTBNL.

No big deal, except that I'm pretty sure Huber doesn't have any options remaining, and neither does another Pads OF candidate, Paul McAnulty. That means that if the Padres go with 12 pitchers, they won't have room on the 25-man for at least one player that has no options... and once Edmonds returns, there's another 25-man spot that needs to be open. I doubt Huber was brought in to precede releasing McAnulty, since Paul bats lefty & Huber is a righty.

Just wondering, since if they don't keep Callix Crabbe on their 25-man roster, he has to be returned to Milwaukee, correct?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just wondering, since if they don't keep Callix Crabbe on their 25-man roster, he has to be returned to Milwaukee, correct?

Yea, and I'm really excited about the prospect of Carbbe coming back to the Brewers. He'll likely end up in SD after the Brewers receives a bag of balls for him, but I just don't get why we wouldn't want him back. He could step right into Counsells spot next year, and you save 3 million dollars.

crabbe would already have been outrighted by the padres if he were offered back to the brewers . . . meaning he wouldn't have to take up a spot on the brewers' 40-man roster.

final rosters aren't due until Sunday, so it could happen that late.

crabbe would already have been outrighted by the padres if he were offered back to the brewers . . . meaning he wouldn't have to take up a spot on the brewers' 40-man roster.

Yea, but if they send him down at any point in the season, he's then offered back, correct?

That's what I was referring to in my post when TwoLiveBrew asked about the 25 man, I believe he was asking about the Padres.

richie gardner makes it 39.

while i hope it takes multiple pitching injuries to force us to bring up chris narveson, it's nice to know a roster spot is open for him if the need arises. (note i didn't suggest that it would take the collapse of a young pitcher to force us to bring up narveson.)

same could be said for abraham nunez if craig counsell or another infielder were to go down with a short term injury.

After 30+ years of following baseball you would think I would know this, but can someone please explain the significance of the 40 man roster to me?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

You must be on the 40 man roster in order to play in the Majors. After 3 pro seasons, players must either be placed on the 40-man roster or be subject to the Rule 5 trade. Any year a player is on the 40 man roster and plays in the minors an option is used, and each player only has 3 options. Long story short, players that were drafted before 2004 that are not on the 40 man roster can be taken by another team.

That's how I understand it. There are more rules, but basically anyone on the 40 man roster is safe to the Brewers. The other players who were drafted before 2004 are put on the waiver line.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived