Brewer Fanatic

Charter to add FSN WI HD on/around August 20, 2008

Loopee

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No kidding - good ol' Charter, bringing you all the newest services 5 years after every other cable/satellite provider.

To those in Madison/Charter territory, get away from Charter as soon as possible. I have Comcast now (different market) and it's just night & day - and Comcast isn't exactly revered by customers, either. Go with DISH or DirecTV. Charter is a joke.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm in the Milwaukee area and curently have Time Warner. We were looking into getting DISH once our 12 monthes is up and the rates increase. Can someone give me any imput on DISH? I have heard that a couple times when fellow fans have tried to watch a Brewer game they were treated to a Minnesota Wild hockey game or a Twins home game. I would rather not buy a package specifically for the games that aren't carried by FSN on DISH.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Charter promises much, does little. They still contact me about reupping with them months after I dumped them for satellite. They say they'll give me whatever I want, and cheap, too. I ask them for BTN and NFLN. Silence.

Well, them planning on adding it at least is a step in the right direction. They're finally adding Discovery Network HD in our area, which is literally years after I think virtually every other service had it.

Really, it wouldn't be that big a deal to me if FSN's analog feed wasn't so poor in both terms of audio and video quality.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Really, it wouldn't be that big a deal to me if FSN's analog feed wasn't so poor in both terms of audio and video quality.
I agree wholeheartedly. For whatever reason, when I watch Brewer games on the big-screen, the players have the Visual Fidelity of an Atari game. Not all channels are like that.

When they're on ESPN HD, it is fantastic, I really hope this comes sooner rather than later.

My advice to all my fellow schleps that are stuck with Charter is to call, email, chat and whatever else you can do to encourage them to add it as soon as possible. I have been doing it every so often but I plan on emailing or calling every day from now until the channel is added.

• 2 months later...
Well I took the plunge into HD Television finally today. Got a 32" Samsung HD Flatpanel, bought it from Sears got the sweet 18 months no interest deal on the Sears card. Wanted to get a 37" but wouldn't fit into the great entertainment center we already have and we don't want to get rid of it. They had to order the TV since they had no more in stock and I will be picking it up Thursday and Saturday plan on upgrading my Charter cable to the HD box. Now I just hope and pray that they do finally add FSN-WI HD. Has anyone heard anymore on if they will have it before this season ends?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Once you watch games in HD it's hard to watch in SD. Tonight's Channel 41 broadcast was incredibly bad. Sunday Ticket on DirecTV is fantastic. Hell every sport in HD is fantastic.

Yup, that is what I have heard and from the little I have seen at friends houses my fiancee and I couldn't resist anymore and we had to buy an HD TV finally. Now I just hope that Charter finally man's up and adds FSN.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Yesterday I received a card in the mail from Charter that was asking for what HD channels I'd like to see added to their HD lineup. They listed about 12 different channels including FSN HD and I was supposed to enter the 3 that I'd most like them to add. Of course I put FSN HD as my #1, but I wrote a comment on the card that they should add all of the channels. I'm thinking that they are just going to add the top 3 vote-getters. This way they can say "we are constantly adding more and more HD channels" even though there is no reason they can't add all of them.

If they weren't the cheapest option that includes all of my local HD channels for me I'd go another route. I'm up in the Stevens Point/Plover area and Charter is the only provider that has all of the local networks in HD (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX...the local FOX station doesn't even broadcast their HD channel over the air, only via Charter).

There are two problems that Charter is facing, they are about $20 billion in debt and their system is almost maxed out. In order to add channels they have to shuffle the service to get them to fit in. As to the debt, this may be one of the reasons that the BTN may be hard for them to add, they are in no position to take on any financial risks. Even if they add the BTN dont hold your breath that you will get the HD channel or the over flow channels.

Eventually every channel will be in HD and all providers will have all the channels in HD. But for now DirecTV has far more HD than any cable system. I get about 95 HD channels, many of them sports. I'm glad that FioS and other technology starting to break through.

Cable has had no competition for so long that they never gave a crap about their customers. That's why I dumped Time Warner a few years ago. Now they are very late to HD.

Eventually every channel will be in HD and all providers will have all the channels in HD. But for now DirecTV has far more HD than any cable system. I get about 95 HD channels, many of them sports. I'm glad that FioS and other technology starting to break through.

Cable has had no competition for so long that they never gave a crap about their customers. That's why I dumped Time Warner a few years ago. Now they are very late to HD.

In Stevens Point/Plover we can get cable from another company, Solarus, starting a few months ago. They do have the Big Ten Network, the NFL Network, and FSN all in HD, but they do not have all of our local network HD channels (no FOX HD). Plus, they are more expensive than Charter and they make you sign up for a two-year contract. I was hoping that when they came in that they would put pressure on Charter, but they aren't really doing anything to do that.

I agree, the competition sometimes needs to do a better job of advertising the alternatives. Many people stick with cable just because that's all they know. I realize not everyone can get a satellite dish due to their location or because they don't have a house but for those that do have them it's fantastic. Time Warner Cable was a nightmare in many ways, I can't believe I waited so long to get DirecTV. It's been 8 years now and I never regretted switching. The 90+ HD channels are just gravy.

Okay so a question for those of you with HD specifically Charter. I got my TV today, tomorrow I'm going to go the the local Charter office and get an HD box and have them add the channels to my package. Do I need to buy a special HD cable to connect it? Or does Charter provide one?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Okay so a question for those of you with HD specifically Charter. I got my TV today, tomorrow I'm going to go the the local Charter office and get an HD box and have them add the channels to my package. Do I need to buy a special HD cable to connect it? Or does Charter provide one?

As long as you are getting the HD package, the HD cables should come with the HD box provided. They did for me, anyway.

Make sure you're hooked up with cables that actually deliver HD: that would likely mean HDMI or component (3 cables) video.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived