Brewer Fanatic

Report: Brewers mull offers to Braun, Fielder -> Latest: Offers made, decision to be made soon

AJAY
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another nice thing if Braun signs is that the Brewers look better and better in the court of public opinion when it comes to Fielder. Fielder will have nothing to complain about since the Brewers are showing they are willing to sign their young guys to higher contracts. If Fielder's agent isn't willing to come to the table and talk, that's Prince's problem, not Mark Attanasio's.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Nice 2500th post! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree with your sentiments in this most recent post, which are vastly different from the one preceding it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think we need to lock up Braun. He is amazing and will be for a long time. Fielder I think is risky considering weight and issues. And also we do have Matt LaPorta coming. If signing Fielder means losing Yovani or Corey Hart or Sheets if hes healthy than I think it could be best to let him walk.

I've been an advocate of signing Prince long-term for a long time now, but I think we may have missed our window. I think the key is to do it while there's still one or two pre-arby years remaining to keep the contract much cheaper. This does add a lot of risk to the team, so it should only be done with superstar players. I'm now moving to the camp that feels Prince will go year-to-year- I still hope he'll sign to give us an extra year or two of him, but I'm beginning to doubt it.

Therefore, I'd love to see Braun signed long-term, but only if it buys out 1-2 years of free agency. I don't see any reason to do it otherwise. Working in the Brewers' favor is that Braun has seemed almost giddy at the thought of signing a Tulo-type deal, so I think it's pretty likely that it will be done.

Another likely suspect is Corey Hart, who I believe has the same agent as Young. At this point, he won't get near the monster numbes of Fielder or Braun, but if we wait until he's a 30-30 guy, he'll demand a lot. He may not be a superstar, so I wouldn't look at a 6-7 year deal like they'll likely do with Braun, but he seems to have enough "tools" (speed, base-running ability, plate discipline, power, defense) that he's not likely to be a bust if we sign him to a 4 year deal.

Weeks...maybe, but while he's definitely shown signs, he's never quite lived up to his potential. He could blossom and be great, but he may have too much risk to sign long-term. Hardy has a replacement-in-waiting sitting in AA in Escobar, so I don't see him getting signed long-term.

I'd say the next big signings would then be Yovanni (for sure) and probably Parra.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 weeks later...
Mark should just offer Prince part ownership of the Brewers.

I don't think they can do that for active players anymore. I could be wrong tho.

Thought I heard back before A-Rod re-signed that he would consider signing with the Cubs if he got part ownership. I can't remember if MLB squashed this or not.

Edit: Resigned...Re-signed...I hate myself for doing that

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Check this out from the writeup iluvlamp linked:

"You hate to fill out a depth chart with the idea that a top prospect will come up and shine, but it is likely that Ryan Braun will move back to third in a couple years to make room for Matt LaPorta. The Brewers are very high on Corey Hart and have options in center, so moving Braun back to third and keeping LaPorta in his natural position seems likely. Nevertheless, getting a deal done now should help in negotiations with Prince Fielder."

Someone already chimed in & corrected the guy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I caught that, too. Why on earth would we move Braun back to 3rd? If they move Hart to CF, as he seems to be implying, then there are two corner outfield spots, which could very easily be taken up by Braun and LaPorta. Plus, there's no guarantee that Prince will be around all that long, so LaPorta may actually be at 1B, leaving another opening in the outfield.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived