Brewer Fanatic

Report: Brewers mull offers to Braun, Fielder -> Latest: Offers made, decision to be made soon

AJAY

5 years $90 million seems to make a lot of sense. He'll make $18 mil a year for the final two years of Arby when he would probably get $10-15 million tops and $18 million seems to be near around the top level paydays anyway and he only loses 3 years of free agency during that period when he is making that kind of money. Seems to me it would be win-win for Prince to take it because 5 years would not eat up his entire prime and he could still make big money on his next contract.

Rp

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex Rios is apparently going to sign a six year, $65 million deal. He has two years of arbitration left. I think Corey Hart could get a similar contract in a few years, when he is in the same position as Rios.

We're getting templates for contracts all over the place now. Fielder=Cabrera, Braun=Tulowitzki, Hart=Rios.

I think Howard is a better comp for Fielder, but Cabrera's good, too. I don't think Tulo works with Ryan since Troy plays the most important position, where Braun's is least-important. Hart to Rios is such a good comp it's kind of spooky.

Thank goodness Prince is motivated by anger, disrespect and spite.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With those comparisons, I was more just trying to go with guys that have gotten long-term, arbitration-buyout contracts that could be in line for Fielder, Braun, and Hart. It wouldn't make much sense to compare Fielder and Cabrera otherwise- Howard and Prince are almost identical players, but Howard hasn't gotten a long-term deal. So, to clarify, the deals those three got would be similar to what our guys are probably expecting.

With those comparisons, I was more just trying to go with guys that have gotten long-term, arbitration-buyout contracts that could be in line for Fielder, Braun, and Hart.

I see, sorry.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Offers have been made:

"The Brewers have submitted multiyear contract proposals to representatives for first baseman Prince Fielder and left fielder Ryan Braun that would "buy out" at least one year of free agency and include an option for an additional year past that."

LINK

I applaud Mark A for at least making an offer to Prince and Ryan....Hopefully Ryan takes it. I have a hard time believing that with Boras as his agent, he's going to do anything pro-Brewers, as I'm sure that Boras is advising him to play out the string with the Brewers so then he can make BIG bucks. Hopefully Prince ignores Boras.

I assume both offers would be for around $45-$55 million, 5 years (including 08) for Prince, 7 years (including 08) for Ryan. That seems fair to me but I don't know if either guy will be interested. It would be hard to turn down that kind of guaranteed money though.

One thing that could work in Milwaukee's favor is Prince's desire to outdo Cecil in everything. According to bb-ref, Cecil made about $47 million in salary in his career. If the Brewers offer him something that tops that, I could see him being interested so that he is guaranteed to surpass Cecil in salary.

Id hate to have Boras tell Prince that he is insulted and make the big fella angry at us.

I'd think the big fella would get angry at his agent. Prince wasn't happy with his contract, Brewers come back and offer him a lot of guaranteed money (assuming it's a reasonably fair deal), and if Boras isn't interested at all, Prince has only one place to put the blame.

As much as I would like to lock up both guys, I honestly don't know if it would be worth it now. Prince's weight could catch up to him and we'd be screwed. And Braun really only has 3/4 of a season in him. I'm a huge fan of both guys but financially, I don't know if it would be the right thing to do. If I were to choose one though, I would have to say lock up Braun. Power first-basemen are easier to find (generally) and I think Braun is the safer bet to have a longer career.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I would lock up Braun first in a heartbeat. He isn't a Boras guy, he should be cheap enough due to the increased risk and unknowns, is much less of an injury risk, seems to be every bit as talented in hitting (less power, better consistency), has better speed, plays a tougher position, incredible work ethic, is more committed to the fans and the team I feel. I really think Braun is the future face of the organization.

I'd be offering Prince something more akin to ten years, $170 million. $15 million a year and a $20 million bonus.

The original offers may be good, but Boras could talk Prince out of five years and $60 million. OTOH, try talking Prince out of $35 million for 2009 ALONE.

clancyphile, what would it matter? I doubt Boras is going to take any offer, regardless. 10 year contracts are incredibly risky besides.

I don't have a problem offering Braun something long term, though. Everyone that sees the guy play just raves about how natural and talented he is. He was the NL RotY last year. That should be worth something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Ask Pat Listash. Now Braun is different from most ROYs, sure. But there is absolutely no need at this time. Braun is at least another full season away from arbitration even. At the end of the season, maybe. But just two months ago everyone though the Rockies were foolish for the Tulo contract and now the Brewers seem headed down the same road.

At the end of the season, maybe. But just two months ago everyone though the Rockies were foolish for the Tulo contract and now the Brewers seem headed down the same road.

Exactly. If the Rockies were stupid, then the Brewers would be as well. Especially if you consider that Tulo is a top defender at one of the hardest defensive positions -- and Braun isnt. That said, I'd rather get into a ten year deal with Braun than Fielder.

Archived