Brewer Fanatic

Is 2008 Yost's last shot? Latest: What are we doing? I am getting worried! (reply #212)

adambr2
P.S. I can't wait until Ned Yost Baseball 2008 hits stores! It's a baseball sim where you accrue points for making strategical dubious baseball decisions and polarizing the fanbase with your stubborn insistence that everybody is just second-guessing you.
bjr--nice post.

the 2008 NYB doesn't sound like too much fun to play.

(edited quotation into correct message --1992casey)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fatter than Joey wrote:

a 3 game suspension would make it hard for him to contribute immediately.

Hard, but not impossible. If like you said he is fringe talent the he would be the last pitcher on the roster. How often does that last pitcher actually pitch? Not much so 3 days without pitching isn't a big deal. Is it really so hard to accept that MLB's opinion of events differs from yours that there has to be a whole "the suspension would have ended his career" conspiracy behind it?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I can see how a suspension could end McClung's career, but I don't see why Major League Baseball would bother to suspend him in the first place if they thought that could be the case. Why would the MLB make up a reason to revoke a suspension when they could have just not suspended the player?

If like you said he is fringe talent the he would be the last pitcher on the roster.

No -- I think he'd be in AAA, and would be called up if the MLB team was in trouble -- much like Balfour was last year. Do you think DM would have signed a guy like Randy Choate if he had to serve a 3 game suspension before you use him?

Is it really so hard to accept that MLB's opinion of events differs from yours

Nope, not at all. However MLB never gave a reason why they rescinded the suspension, I am not sure MLB thinks McClung accidentally hit Pujols.

Why would the MLB make up a reason to revoke a suspension

I never heard any reason given.

I don't believe there was any reason given. All I remember was a comment from Doug Melvin saying that MLB felt that Seth had presented a very effective case.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Just to get things straight. A 3 game suspension ends his career because...

1. Seth McClung has no place on any roster in MLB. Even as the last pitcher on the roster who can easily go 3 days without pitching.

2. Every pitcher who gets called up must be able to contribute immediately or he is of no use, even if there was a starter who had his turn skipped in the rotation giving that team an extra pitcher for a few days

3. McClung isn't even good enough to be AAA filler for the year and earn a September call up when he could serve his suspension.

I blame Wang.

1. Seth McClung has no place on any roster in MLB.

Agreed. He sucks.

2. Every pitcher who gets called up must be able to contribute immediately or he is of no use

No one said "Every pitcher". The only way though a guy like McClung gets called up, is if there are injuries or other pitchers are unreliable. In those cases, he'd pretty much need to fill in right away.

3. McClung isn't even good enough to be AAA filler for the year and earn a September call up when he could serve his suspension.

McClung can pitch at AAA, but there are so many pitchers like him, why not call up one that doesn't have to deal with a suspension.

All I am saying is that a suspension wouldn't have ended his career and that was not the reason the suspensions was dropped. It seems that you agree that it wouldn't have ended his career either.

I blame Wang.

Well Yost "admits" he instructed McClung to hit Pujols. Lets see if he can avoid an additional fine or suspension. He might claim he was talking about that entire time where he got ejected every other game and not the Pujols thing per se.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/02/15/yost-defends-actions-of-final-week.aspx

I really got a kick out of those comments by Ned. He says he'd do anything for his players -- does he realize that he hung McClung, a kid who may never even make it in the MLB, completely out to dry? Seth would never admit it, but I bet he doesn't feel Ned did much looking out for his needs.

The "real life" aspect of the 25 players goes beyond the scope of the 3 hour game, and Yost did a lot more harm to McClung and his own team's playoff hopes by plunking Pujols than he would have by trying to back his team up by putting the importance of the win first. I'm really struggling to see how Yost really proved himself and made his point and really accomplished anything. There is a time and a place and a player for that crap, and none of the above were right for the situation.

I know Ned doesn't have much experience with a playoff race, but in that situation, you find another way to stick up for your players. You confront LaRussa or Thompson after the game. You do something in the first game next year. You DO NOT let it interfere with your playoff race, period. That comes first. There are other ways to defend your players other than sending one of your kids out there to throw a fireball at their best player, Yost. Get creative. Figure it out.

Yost's players may always love him, but I want a manager who is more worried about winning the game than how to get back at TLR when my team has a 1.5 game deficit in the division with 5 games to play. If he's looking for "respect" for what he did, he can look elsewhere.

I really got a kick out of those comments by Ned. He says he'd do anything for his players -- does he realize that he hung McClung, a kid who may never even make it in the MLB, completely out to dry? ...

well said adam--yost blew that situation. i am not a yost fan--his misdeeds have been well chronicled, and i think he should have been fired.

his 5 years as manager should have taught him a lot by now.

but i need to point out at this early point in the preseason, a possible awakening occurring for ned. some of the limited comments coming from him seem to indicate an awareness that he did some wrong things in the past, esp. last year. this is strengthened by the fact that we were in a position to do something he has never been in--win your division. and after being in first place for so long, he realizes he blew it--thus perhaps a bit of humble pie (i know a couple guys in that band too) and something like 'you dont know what you got til it's gone'. i'm sure it's been nawing at him all offseason.

mccarthy of the packers seem to be a bit quicker in learning his trade. i only hope yost has turned the corner and is a bit more on top of his game with a smart intelligent style, as opposed to the stubborn i'm never wrong approach he seemed to project in the past.

(pared back long quote --1992)

Not sure if they would flirt with Ned.

who wants to bet that we don't have the equivalent of the packer girls happen at miller park this year?

after all the 'packer girls' are much closer to nfl cheerleaders than the "st. mary of the holy cross debate team from appleton" that the packers march out as nfl cheerleaders. a liitle off thread-sorry i like cheerleaders.

(pared back nested quote --1992)

from the 9/26/07 JS game recap:

Yost denied he summoned McClung specifically to hit Pujols.

"The pitch just got away from him," said Yost.

Shouse's quote in that report...

"This was a great opportunity for us to capitalize on what the Cubs did, we just didn't get it done tonight like we should have."

...becomes a little more cryptic if you read between the lines.

So, apparently the blame somehow winds up on Fielder's shoulders for not stopping Ned after he got drilled...?

Had Fielder gone to Yost and told him not to retaliate, the decision might have been made to wait until 2008 for payback. But the young slugger did not take his manager off the hook, so Yost figured he had no choice.

And continuing with Ned's delusion:

Because he had his players' collective backs, Yost believes they refused to quit after being eliminated from the division race. The Brewers took the final two games from the Padres - who needed just one victory to clinch a playoff berth - and secured the franchise's first winning season (83-79) in 15 years.

How about the team not giving up because they were professionals...? Or because they were mad that they were knocked out so late...?

"I think there were things that if I could go back, I'd do differently. I'm not going to say what they were."
Um... I think we've listed a pretty long grocery list of things that he could have done differently over here at BF.Net. Ned would have been talking to TH all week if he wanted to cover them all.

So, apparently the blame somehow winds up on Fielder's shoulders for not stopping Ned after he got drilled...?

Yeah, that comment was weird. It almost sounds like the players are expected to take responsibility for managing the team.

I can buy into the 'protecting his players' argument when it comes to the ejections. If nothing else, he's protecting them from being ejected.

But putting the team into a position that increases its chances of losing isn't protecting anybody. And I sure as heck don't see how Ned would have been protecting Seth McClung.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That quote regarding Fielder is just stunning. Yost is truly a buffoon. An arrogant guy that thinks he has all the answers. In a different town, say Boston or New York, that article/interview would be the final nail in his coffin, and fan sentiment would ride him out of town before spring training ended. Ted Simmons, who is anything but dumb, is going to have quite the eventful time trying to reign in this goof.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think we tend to read too literally into everything Nedly says. I'm not defending him, but it's quite possible he knows he screwed up and is too proud to admit it publicly. Later in the article he mentions he knows he screwed up last year but didn't want to say when.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Pride goeth before the fall.

Yeah, that comment was weird. It almost sounds like the players are expected to take responsibility for managing the team.

No kidding. There's nothing left for me to say about Yost. The man is not fit to manage a contending MLB team at this point.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived