Brewer Fanatic

Is 2008 Yost's last shot? Latest: What are we doing? I am getting worried! (reply #212)

adambr2
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd think you could count on Mench to have that awareness, and it wouldn't have been like letting Estrada hit in that situation, but players tend to be what they are.

That brings up another Yost issue. He has his players do what he thinks they should do vs. what they actually can do. Having Brady Clark frequently attempt to steal (2006) might be the poster child example. Last year's example would have been using Turnbow on back to back days.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm not a Ned fan, but don't you have to count on Mench having an awareness of the situation?

I believe at one point in the season, Mench actually had a lower OBP than batting average. (Yes, it is possible). He didn't seem to have any remote awareness of the strike zone or situation all season.

He has his players do what he thinks they should do vs. what they actually can do. Having Brady Clark frequently attempt to steal (2006) might be the poster child example. Last year's example would have been using Turnbow on back to back days.

Nice point. Ned's biggest weakness imo is managing for what he imagines could or may happen, as opposed to what is most likely. That's a succinct way of phrasing my problem with him as manager.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I believe at one point in the season, Mench actually had a lower OBP than batting average. (Yes, it is possible). He didn't seem to have any remote awareness of the strike zone or situation all season.

Braun did very early. Mench never did but on June 26th he was batting .272 with a .273 OBP. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

It's obviously tough to quantify how many wins Yost may have cost the team, but he certainly had a large number of indefensible moves.

• Mench over Jenkins against Dempster.
  • Letting Aquino face Pence with the game on the line.
  • Losing close games down the stretch without even using your best reliever, including one so awful that it inspired a full-length column at baseball prospectus.
  • Leaving Turnbow in one or two walks too long.
  • Subbing Braun for defense in games that are still close.
  • The Pujols-McClung-La Russa beanball "mine's bigger than yours" disaster.
  • Countless other times where his only defense was him playing a hunch or going with "the flow of the game."

That's just way to many inexcusable moves to not lose your job. If 2008 is not his last shot I'll be irate, considering that he shouldn't have even had a shot at his last shot.

That's just way to many inexcusable moves to not lose your job. If 2008 is not his last shot I'll be irate, considering that he shouldn't have even had a shot at his last shot.

I dunno... the math is probably still on his side.

I was listening to Haudricourt on the Homer Show this afternoon saying that Melvin told Haudricourt that Yost's option was picked up almost a year ago, it was just never released....actually, DM said that he "must have forgotten to release it."(Haudricourt).

Whatever....Yost better man up this year, that's all I'm saying. I would hate for this team and our fans to be crushed because of Yost's shortcomings as a Manager.

This is OUR year!!! Go Brewers!!!

And in other "Too Late Now!" news, snuck by at a more opportune time, and released to the media, well after the fact:

- The mozzarella cheese used to make those Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust pies that you already ate? The cheese came, not from cow milk, but from rats!

- Britney Spears's publicist revealed that the pop star already signed a deal last March, to open her own chain of hair salons.

- RC2 Corp says that your toddlers are already playing with millions of toys, manufactured in China, of the new Thomas the Tank Engine locomotive, Asbesty and the new engineer, Mr. Paint Chips.

- Dr. Phil agreed to a contract extension for 3 more TV seasons...now that he stopped visiting starlets in the hospital, with cameras filming.

- ESPN belatedly released a tape, showing Roger Clemens injecting Peter Gammons with truth serum.

- DreamWorks announced that they secretly filmed "Norbit 2."

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Nice, GSP. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wish they would have announced this around October last year. I think this board would have exploded, literally.

Not meaning just BF.net, but I wonder how much of a role all the public distaste for Yost played in Melvin "forgetting" to announce this. I'm guessing right around the time of the two Attanasio votes of confidence (Oct. '07), this was ironed out. Very savvy play by Attanasio & Melvin.

Archived