Brewer Fanatic

Why is roster being held hostage by Seth McClung and his 6.16 ERA?

JohnBriggs12
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I told my wife last week in Chicago that he has given us some huge performances this year and deserved a lot of credit for doing something most of us didn't expect. He's been as important as Villy was for us last year, doing what is asked of him even when he's bounced around. He got treated very well by the fans tonight, which was great.

During the Brewers On Deck, before their exhibition game, I was in the outfield seats and I was watching McClung and he looked like he was having more fun than anyone out there combined. I just figured it was because he was glad to be on the big league roster rather than the minor league roster, which probably was a contributing factor. But if he also really enjoys being a Brewer, I'm sure that's another reason.

I've got to admit, I'm not the hugest McClung fan on the field; I still don't have too much faith in him (though it's growing lately); but you guys are absolutely right, he is what all professional baseball players should be like when they're preparing and playing baseball. When I went to Cincinnati for the series in August, he signed all three days for any fan that wanted a signature before the game, walking down the entire line, joking with people and taking pictures, etc... He was so down-to-earth it was extremely encouraging to see. Stuff like giving Gatorade to the ball-boy a couple games ago when he had to run all the way to CF to get a ball; he seems to really love the game of baseball and that's really cool to see.

Someone mentioned in the in-game chat last night having McClung close next year. The more I'm thinking about it, it wouldn't be the worst option. Any thoughts?

That was me. He closed some in Tampa Bay so he has 'experience'. I don't think he did very well but playing for those Tampa Bay teams was miserable on all pitchers since their defense was so awful and the team always lost.

I like McClung and I think he can do ok in a RP role but he walks too many to be a good starter in my opinion. I think bullpen guys can get away with it more.

i thought of this exact thread last night while witting at the game and watching mcclung. what a great performance!

I am not sure about him closing. I think he culd maybe do it, but I like the fact that he can come in and go 2 or 3 innings. Not all relievers can do that - having a guy who can come in and go the 6/7 or 7/8 or 7/8/9 can be pretty useful and really save the bullpen. kind of what villenueva does...

McClung has had a long road to where he is now. Tampa flipped him around from starter to closer and of course his major injury. He lost a ton of weight in the off-season and got him self ready for this year. He got flipped around this year and unlike the Tampa situation he stepped up in whatever role he had. Again, I'm not saying Seth is an all-star, but he does have value on this team and I've probably said that too much around here. What is his role next year? I don't think Seth really cares as long as he has a role. Being a closer might not be a bad idea. I think one thing Seth struggles with is control and last night he just flat out went after guys. If he does that on a regular basis, I think Seth would make a pretty good closer. I'd imagine Seth will lose even more weight this year which will increase his velocity a touch and increase his durability/stamina.

Here's a link from the JS...McClung didn't lack confidence last night:

http://blogs.jsonline.com...clung-is-stepping-up.aspx

I am not sure about him closing. I think he culd maybe do it, but I like the fact that he can come in and go 2 or 3 innings. Not all relievers can do that - having a guy who can come in and go the 6/7 or 7/8 or 7/8/9 can be pretty useful and really save the bullpen. kind of what villenueva does...
I'm sure it won't happen, but the idea of having a 1970's style closer would be pretty cool. Bring him in during the 7th or 8th and just let him finish.

no one else on the roster looks the part

He had eyes aflame, a head full of hair from the fires of hell, and an arm made of pure lightning...

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5725/seth0926tw1.jpg

Actually, it looks like his arm is a tree trunk!

I wonder if Balfour could have turned it around in Milwaukee. I think probably not so this was a pretty good trade for both teams. Seth has had some bad stretches but it looks like he has figured it out. I think it would be best to keep him the bullpen so you he doesn't need to hold back his fastball to make it through 5-6 innings. The Cubs practically had no chance against him last night he was so good. I think you take away some effectiveness if you make him throw 6 innings

I started thinking about McClung as McCloser next year back when the Brewers where in Chicago and he came in to throw 4 k's in 2 innings. The look in his eyes and the way he has really gone after hitters lately remind me of Gagne back in his Dodger days. He just looks like he believes he can get anyone out at anytime.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I'm sure it won't happen, but the idea of having a 1970's style closer would be pretty cool. Bring him in during the 7th or 8th and just let him finish.

I was thinking that same thing too. I don't know that I would always trust him with three innings, but have dual closers - one one-inning guy (Torres) and one two-inning guy (McClung). The other thing that gives me confidence in being a closer is that as a reliever only once this year has he given up more than two runs in his first inning of work, and that was his second game of the year. He did have one start where he gave up three runs in the first (a three-run homer to Adam Dunn - lots of pitchers are guilty of that), but other than the Cubs game on April 9th he has not come in as a reliever and given up a big first inning.

As for the Balfour trade, that is one of those win-win trades. Yes Balfour has been great out of their pen, but he couldn't start or long relieve and the Brewers needed that from McClung.

He could be a starter, but that depends on the off-season. If both Sheets and CC leave and they don't trade for a #2-type starter then he will probably have to be looked at as a starter. If one of them comes back then I think they are fine with CC/Ben, Yo, Bush, Parra, and Suppan with McClung and DiFelice as contingency plans in case of injury.

For as much as I have ripped on Maddux for not being able to develop young arms that came up through the system (Eveland, Hendrickson, Sarfate, etc.), chalk another one up to his career resurrection plaque. So far. And I'll agree that McClung is a great guy too - I was at a game in SF and was in the tunnel by their clubhouse and he stopped on his way to/from the dugout to talk with a family with a little boy.

I'm in favor of asking McClung, "In which case (starter or closer) would we get to see crazy-eyed McClung who looks like he wants to not only strike out his opponent, but single-handedly brawl with the entire opposing team?" Whichever he answered, I'd give it to him.

I'm only half-joking

Archived