Brewer Fanatic

Another Weeks Proposal

With the consensus of the Weeks for Roberts thread being no deal, I tried finding a better match.

After this last off season, everyone knows Oakland is in a rebuild mode. Players that are known to be offered are Huston Street, Joe Blanton, and Rich Harden. Weeks seems to be a player that Beane would covet. We have prospects that are still a couple of years away that he might be interested in as well. A player like Mat Gamel who is pretty much blocked for the forseeable future would probably draw interest, as well as a player like Jeremy Jeffress who has all the talent in the world but is at least 2-3 years away. A cheap starter like Bush would be ideal for them to bridge the gap between the next wave of talent. Not to mention Bush would probably do pretty well in that park.

How about: Weeks, Bush, and Gamel for Blanton + Street.

Crazy Joe could take over 2B with Blanton being our #2/3 and Street setting up Gagne for a year.

Would you do it?

I am still not sold on Joe Dillon, let alone having him as an everyday player. He had a good few months, but I don't think we can expect him to repeat those numbers. We have no other second base prospects in the system unless they move Irrabarren back, and without Weeks they'd have no leadoff hitter. I am not sure I'd go for that.

I am still not sold on Joe Dillon, let alone having him as an everyday player. He had a good few months, but I don't think we can expect him to repeat those numbers. We have no other second base prospects in the system unless they move Irrabarren back, and without Weeks they'd have no leadoff hitter. I am not sure I'd go for that.
If you're worried about Joe starting I'm sure Mark Ellis would become expendable if they acquired Rickie. Since dadofandrew doesn't think Bush would interest Beane much (why do you assume this DOA? getting more expensive or just don't think much of his talent?) we'd have to up the ante.

How about this final proposal:

Weeks, Gamel, Bush, Jeffress for Blanton, Street, and Ellis.

OAK wants pre-arby guys or top prospects, not Dave Bush.

I agree, with the caveat here being that Bush is a first year arby guy and if Beane thinks he could finally have a breakout year, he could be a guy the A's flip at the deadline or after the season. I'm sure the A's wouldn't turn him down as a component to a deal.

During the offseason, I was thinking that Weeks (and plenty of prospects) could possibly be part of a deal to get Haren, with Sheets then getting traded to fill a bullpen spot and second base (the Sheets to Atlanta for Johnson and Soriano rumor is what I'm thinking of).

I wouldn't do the deal suggested on the top of the page now. Blanton's not quite good enough to justify creating a big hole at 2B, and though Street would be nice, he just wouldn't fit on the club right now. I think this club has a good situation right now. If the bullpen struggles, then you can look into a big fix at the trading deadline. Right now, I think Weeks is just too valuable and has to much potential to give up.

I'd ather have Rich Harden than Blanton. Bring the great Canadian to the Midwest so Canada wion't have to go too far to see their beloved brethren. Weeks/Villy for Street/Harden/Ginter....err Ellis. :-)
Why Villy? Dave Bush was already suggested... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

They haven't really "moved" Iribarren, they just want him to learn other positions to maximize his value. He can still play 2nd just fine. Not to mention we've got Escobar who could play short and slide Hardy over to 2nd making our defense that much better if Dillon didn't work out...though, I think he would. He's got such a great swing and such a great approach, it's hard to not have confidence in him.

And Dillon's put up ridiculous numbers in AAA the last several years. Sure, it was against younger players, but he still has to hit the ball, and he's done that very well. I don't think there's any reason to suggest Joe Dillon won't be a solid offensive player, especially for a 2nd basemen.

That said, I don't want to get rid of Weeks. I don't like Blanton that much, and while I think Street's great, I'll take the power hitting 2nd basemen over the great young closer.

I don't understand the motivation here...it looks like you've decided that Weeks has to go, for no reason that I can really understand.

It doesn't match Melvin's MO at all, nor does it match the team's current situation well IMO...you'd be selling low on Weeks, you'd be cutting a hole in the infield with no longterm (or even short-term) replacement in mind, before what looks to be a season or four of playoff contention, you'd be adding a reliever after the team blew a zillion dollars on relievers. Street is better and younger than any of the guys they've added, but right now they'd have to make another move or two with the staff...and honestly I think they're not likely to do that until they see what they have.

If a Weeks deal were likely, it wouldn't come now and in this form...there would have to be a plan for the infield (and much as I like Joe Dillon, he's not a longterm solution at second), and the deal would provide longterm solutions that would address a clearcut need for the team. This coming offseason, such a deal might well be possible, but the team's needs (and the assets they have available to address those needs) will have evolved in the meantime...a replacement for Weeks might be clearer, and the veteran relievers will be coming off the books, but Luis Pena might well be ready to step in, and the Brewers might well have spent some high draft choices on college relievers.

Archived