Brewer Fanatic

Make three BOLD predictions for the 2008 season (All Star break revisit, and updates) 2nd Half predictions start at post #64

1. Sheets wins 18-20 games.

2. Kendall hits .300 or better

3. A September call-up hits a walk-off HR in a one game playoff against the Cubs at Miller Park. Brewers win the division as a result, but the epic blast will be replayed as often as Dale Sveum's Easter Sunday shot in 1987. The mighty slugger to hit that epic blast: Russell Branyan.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Corey Hart has an early season ending injury forcing the Brewers to bring up Matt LaPorta, who in turn mashes 40 HR's and earns ROY honors, in Hart's absence.

2. Rickie Weeks has a revelation after playing Ichiro on MLB 2k8, that he can utilize his mercurial speed and actually bunt or slap hit the ball to get on base, which translates into a .300+ avg. and 40 SB's.

3. Two 50+ HR hitters(Prince and Ryan "Freakin" Braun) and two 40+ HR hitters (LaPorta and a career year from Bill Hall) in the lineup. SWEET!

I don't know how bold these are, but here goes nothing...

1) Sheets lasts the entire season, does not miss a start, and finally gets 20+ wins.

2) Braun and Hart have 30/30 seasons, Weeks 20/30.

3) Hall is noticeably better than Braun defensively at 3B.

3. Jenkins pulls a Daryle Ward and clobbers a sausage.

First, that was pretty funny. Nice work.

However, it was Randall Simon, not Ward. Just for the sake of factual correctness.

Man, and all this time I've hated on Daryle Ward, not sure how I got those two mixed up. Now he's a cub so the hate must go on... but I see him in a little different light.

1) Cameron/Hall/Braun situation does not make much of a difference as Brewers again rank near the bottom of the league in fielding.

2) Poor fielding nearly costs the Brewers a spot in the post season as they manage to squeak out the division by 1 game.

3) Poor fielding and lack of patience at the plate causes the Brewers to get swept in the NLDS.

oh, and sorry, one more...

MLB teams continue to inexplicably ignore the importance of defense as they take hitting practice before all games, but never really take true infield practice or practice cut-off drills.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• 3 months later...

I didn't have a post, but I'll make three bold predictions for the second half.

1) Bill Hall will play an integral role in the Brewers making the playoffs or not.

2) Guillermo Mota and Eric Gagne won't be on our active roster come September.

3) If the Brewers don't make the playoffs, Ned Yost and Mike Maddux will be fired.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'll make three, for myself:

1. Ben Sheets will miss significant time with a stupid injury (like a fingernail infection). He won't be back until mid-September.

2. Luis Pena becomes a big contributor in September,

3. Rickie Weeks won't be a Brewer after the season is finished.

I didn't have a post, but I'll make three bold predictions for the second half.

1) Bill Hall will play an integral role in the Brewers making the playoffs or not.

3) If the Brewers don't make the playoffs, Ned Yost and Mike Maddux will be fired.

Those aren't that bold, but I certainly agree with all of them. After the CC trade, not making the playoffs is now considered a failure, and Yost will pay for it.

Gagne should be gone right now, I don't know why but for some reason I have more faith in Mota getting it together instead of Gagne. I still don't trust Mota though

thablingster wrote:

I've been calling for Hall to get some more starts vs rhp, obviously the numbers to this point say otherwise. But, I expect Hall to have a big 2nd half and eventually earn his everyday role back essentially demote Branyan to be our lefty bat on the bench.

Those aren't that bold, but I certainly agree with all of them.

It's bold considering that we've got $13.2 million reasons to keep them around. That said, this team has dumped larger albatross contracts in recent years, so it's possible.

More bold predictions: 1) Jason Kendall's batting average in the second half will be below .240. 2) Rickie Weeks won't see .240 all season.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Might as well add some 2nd half predictions as well:

1: Gallardo will be declared "ready" at some point, and be in uniform, but never used

2: Sabathia + McClung out homers Counsell + Kendall + Dillon

3: Division and Wild Card will be decided before the final 3 games of the season against the Cubs

Bonus: I will get on FSN with a Branyan sign, you just wait

1.) Craig Counsell and a newcomer TBA will share time at 2B, and Rickie will be relegated to the pine

2.) Melvin will make a move for another reliever, but once again it will be for someone who was really sharp, say, 4 years ago

3.) Dave Bush will outpitch CC

I think this is both very possible and not all that bold. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif The front office has shown that they will cut ties even with an expensive player if they're not doing the job. I think that it's almost certain in my mind that one of the two won't be on the 'playoff roster'.

My predictions:

1. The Brewers can't wait much longer for Weeks to figure things out, and deal for a 2nd baseman before the deadline.

2. The Brewers nab a big-ish named arm to help SOLVDD their 8th inning WOAHS.

3. Kapler ends up taking more playing time away from Cameron, eventually starting in CF ~3 times a week.

Archived