Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Stories 2008

securedsports

Hey everyone, just got back from Spring Training, what a time. Most players were personable. RYAN BRAUN is everything he is cracked up to be. Very nice, polite, and not the I AM THE BEST type of player even though he is. Corey Hart, Jason Kendall, and Carlos Villanueva deserve credit too.

MATT LAPORTA is a STUCK UP rude son-of-a-gun. I do not like his attitude or the way he treated us. Hey Matt not all of us are Ebay Sellers. We are baseball fans who spend lots of money to come see you guys. You definately lost a fan even if you hit the crap out of the ball

Brad

Well practice was over, he went to get a drink of water at the bathroom concrete building between 4 minor league fields. As he walked back I asked for his autograph, he said no I am busy, I asked politely, how bout after you get all of your stuff and walk back to the locker room. He said with stern and ****** voice "We'll See" So he goes and gets his stuff and walks back and then I am there not bugging him remind you and I asked politely again and he says NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I ran into about 18 other fans and they said the same thing, even the young kids. Brad

LaPorta was really friendly at the WinterWarm-Up dinner.

My spring training story is..............all flights to milwaukee are cancelled today. Earliest flight out is Monday afternoon. Guess I have to enjoy more baseball and sunshine.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
MATT LAPORTA is a STUCK UP rude son-of-a-gun. I do not like his attitude or the way he treated us. Hey Matt not all of us are Ebay Sellers. We are baseball fans who spend lots of money to come see you guys. You definately lost a fan even if you hit the crap out of the ball

Brad

That is contrary to everything that has been written about LaPorta.

Honest to goodness, I don't get the whole autograph thing unless you're under 12 or with someone who is, but even if you are an adult and that's your hobby, I'm not going to rip into you. But to expect each player to be "on" every single moment that fans are around is unrealistic and not fair to the player. You don't know what circumstances were at that very time and place that kept him from signing.

I'm sorry that your enjoyment of any future LaPorta home runs for the Crew will be forever tainted by this experience. That's a potential big part of your future Brewer fandom that you're going to let three random minutes in Maryvale effect.

well, like the old saying, first impression is the most important, orrr something like that. Id have to agree, I would be turned off as a fan if a player acted like that to me only because I wanted an autograph. Does he have to give one to me? absolutely not, but does he have to act like an ass? nope. Now I don't know if he is always like that, and he could of had an off day but its a fans game from kids to adult and snapping at a fan is not needed.

Honest to goodness, I don't get the whole autograph thing unless you're under 12 or with someone who is, but even if you are an adult and that's your hobby, I'm not going to rip into you.

aren't you kinda doing that by saying its should be a kids thing and not an adult thing? I never thought I would have to defend myself for collecting autographs as much as much as I have to on a baseball website.

Hey I am a collector not a eBay seller and first impressions matter. Nobody was around expect a few kids and they got turned down. I was really surprised as well because I had heard good things about him prior to this. Like I said I was not the only one who had this experience. I talked to a few Dad's whose kids were treated the same way. Guess when you play baseball for a living and make huge coin you can be that way. Not how I was brought up. He should act like Braun, Hart, Fielder, Kendall, etc. They know how importants fans are to the game.

Could not agree with you more. It is fun and a good experience to remember times you had when you met Brewers. I love seeing the progression of their autograph, Case in point, Prince started with a P and flat line, and now he has a different one. I agree that they don't have to give me an autograph, but he could be polite. I am sure a few guys ruin the hobby for all of us, but I will think Laporta is a [jerk] for the rest of my life. I should have filmed it, you guys would know then.

EDIT: Don't skirt the cuss filter - b19

Within 1 hour of landing in PHX, I ran into Joe Torre's brother in Maryvale (which was closed for the day), who apparently served in WWII with George Bamberger and caught Robin Roberts for a time. Lots of awesome stories.

My friend and I were standing around where people get autographs. I wasn't really interested as I don't really like to bother players for autographs, I'll just buy them from the people that do. But anyway, my friend had a couple of balls he was going to try and get signed. We walked over to the area and he got a phone call and somebody asked if he was getting any autographs and he loudly said that it's pretty much impossible because there were "sharks" all around.

That got a dirty look from a lot of people standing there. It did look to be a shark session though, as whenever a player appeared, a guy pulled out a book and started handing out pictures of that player to what appeared to be partners in getting as many autographs as possible.

Otherwise, I got a chance to meet Mr. Attanasio briefly as he was sitting in my section. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

My non-baseball stories aren't appropriate for a public forum http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived