Brewer Fanatic

JJ has the flu........maybe not

82brewcrew

Not sure why you would think Escobar is a better option than Counsell. Escobar hit .325/.345/.377 at A ball. Counsell is hardly a world beater, but he'd out hit Escobar this season. This might mean Nunez makes the team however, which is a bad thing.

If that's the case, I'd be OK with giving Escobar a chance. He couldn't be much worse that Counsnez.
Whoa. Escobar bandwagon is in full force today.

Escobar has never even played AAA. He is a defensive whiz - but has significant room to grow offensively. I am pretty confident that Counsell could out play him this year.

However, even ignoring Escobar's youth and Counsell's experience - why in the world would you want to start Escobar's arbitration clock running? He needs a full season at AAA yet.

I'm not a proponent of Escobar starting with the big club either, but why the argument that "he has never even played AAA"? There are many players who have stepped up to the big club and produced big time (Pujols, I'm sure there's others). Of course, many who tried also failed miserably. What have we got to lose? If Counsell is so "bad" then it can't get much worse. Enrique Cruz was much worse than Escobar and we gave him a "chance" as a rule V player. It can't get worse than that.

Again, I'll state that I'd rather he stay in the minors, but if necessary, I'd be up for giving it a chance.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The flu is really bad this year, isn't it? I hope everything's OK with JJ.

I wish people wouldn't overreact to Counsell being in the starting lineup covering people with the flu--it's not even the DL. Heck, the Red Sox went and won a World Series last year with Julio Lugo at SS, and I really don't see much functional difference between Lugo and Counsell. (And at least the Brewers aren't paying Counsell $8 million a year.)

I had the flu and missed a full week of work (I am usually there every single day), and came back this past week STILL not feeling 100%. So it is possible that that's all it is... it's just been really brutal this year and can take awhile to leave your system.

JJ was at practice today. He threw around a little with Rickie Weeks, which can always be an adventure. He bolted right after throwing and didn't take BP. I didn't go to the game today (Sweet 16 BABY!) but I am guessing Escobar played since he didn't take BP. I overheard him say that he felt a lot better.

Archived