Brewer Fanatic

It's time againÂ?Name your ideal lineup (Designated Lineup Thread)

Quote:
What I found going through this exercise is that the Brewers need a lead-ff guy next year if it's not Gwynn, The rest of the line-up takes care of itself. Replace Menchkins with a lead-off guy in CF or LF and you get:

The goal of any lineup is to maximize runs scored. We know that the teams with the highest OPS score the most runs. Therefore, you try to put togother a lineup that gives the most ABs to its highest OPS hitters. Hart, Braun, and Fielder are, and will likely continue to be, the highest OPS performers, and have to be in the top 4 spots in the lineup.

For every spot in the lineup you drop a player, it costs him 20 ABs for the season.If you were to drop Braun from 3rd to 5th like you have in your lineup, you'd be giving Braun 40 less ABs for the season. That would be like benching him for 10 games. I think you'd agree that that would not be ideal.

Adding a leadoff type would decrease the teams ability to score runs, as most leadoff types have average to low OPS, and lower than what we could could put in LF.

I'd like to flip Braun and Fielder, because batting in front of Fielder has minimized Brauns basestealing ability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power isn't a negative for leading off. Basically the only reason to make Gwynn lead off is because he can't get the ball out of the infield, that doesn't make much sense to me.

Weeks and Hart both project as better leadoff hitters than Gwynn in my opinion, so either one of them are perfectly fine there next year.

1. Weeks

2. Hart

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Hardy

6. Menchkins

7. Estrada/Miller

8. Gwynnanino

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Hart

Hardy

Fielder

Braun

Hall

Jenkins / Mench

Weeks

Estrada / Miller

[Pitcher]

I'd at least like to see whether putting Prince and J.J. back-to-back would re-spark Hardy's power production from the early months of the season.

Likewise, I'd prefer Hart batting in the middle of the order, where his power would lead to more RBI's...but he's one of the few players in the starting lineup to OBP well enough to hit in front of Prince and Braun (and, hopefully, Bill Hall).

Vs. Righties

1. Weeks

2. Hart

3, Hall

4. Fielder

5. Braun

6. Jenkins

7. Hardy

8. Estrada

9. Pitcher

Vs. Lefties

1. Weeks

2. Hart

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Hall

6. Mench

7. Hardy

8. Miller

Miller would seem to be well-rested while Johnny is hurting, and the lefty-righty platoon would accommodate each player's strength/weakness, anyway. Batting Hall 3rd and Braun 5th vs. righties acknowledges the information discussed in the Braun cleanup thread. Hitting J.J. 7th would have to do with his prolonged drought.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived