Brewer Fanatic

It's time againÂ?Name your ideal lineup (Designated Lineup Thread)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i doubt the formula i used was the one youre thinking of. i want to say i got it from here years ago and use it, like i say in video games, and it seems to work. the problem with the lineup i posted is that it was based just on this years stats so far. the formula is take your 2 highest obps who are not your #1 ops guy and bat them 1-2, then go best to worst ops 3-8. its difficult to use numbers of guys strictly as the basis for a lineup as its difficult to compare minor league numbers of young players with major league numbers of vets. it would be easier 3-4 years from now just before many of these guys are free agents and we have legit 3-yr avg mlb stats to work from.

-don

I love today's lineup and would be happy with this 1-7 every day (obviously assuming Prince is normally at 1B).

Hart RF

Hardy SS

Braun 3B

Fielder DH

Hall CF

Jenkins LF

Estrada C

Counsell 2B

Graffy 1B

When Weeks comes back, I'd be happy with 1-5 the same nearly every day and 7 Estrada. Against righties I'd go 6 Jenkins, 8 Weeks and against lefties 6 Weeks, 8 Mench. Play this lineup 5 days a week. Rinse and repeat.

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Jenkins

6. Hall

7. Estrada

8. Weeks

9. Pitcher

Along with that (but maintaining the order): 1) give Jenkins 2 days off a week (generally against lefties), 2) When using Counsell or Graffy at 3B/SS/2B, put them at 8 and move Hall/Weeks to the spot they are vacating.

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Hall

6. Weeks

7. Jenkins

8. Estrada

I really organize them mostly by OPS. But I think Weeks ahead of Jenks and Estrada could provide more off-inning runs.

Because Yost will put Weeks back in the leadoff spot

vs. RHP

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Hall

Jenkins

Estrada

vs. LHP

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hall

Hart

Estrada

Mench

Hall historically does better against lefties and gets bumped up one spot against them.

vs. RHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Jenkins

6. Estrada

7. Hall

8. Weeks

9. Pitcher

Six/seven/eight here are flexible, might tinker w/ that from game to game.

vs. LHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Hall

6. Weeks

7. Estrada

8. Mench

9. Pitcher

Hate seeing Mench as a starter, but what can you do? Can Graffanino play left field?

Maybe I would switch when Rickie comes back as JJ has been struggling in June (Guessing around 1 HR, 3 RBI's, and .200ish BA)....

VS Righties

1) Weeks

2) Hart

3) Braun

4) Fielder

5) Hall

6) Jenkins

7) Estrada

8) Hardy

VS Lefties

1) Weeks

2) Hart

3) Braun

4) Fielder

5) Hall

6) Hardy

7) Mench

8) Miller

(Edit: killed the unintentional emoticons --1992casey)

Quote:
"Wherever you're at, you just have to go play and try to be your best," Jenkins said. "Obviously we've had a bunch of different lineups, and people said stuff about that. But regardless of where you hit in the lineup, how good the team is playing, lefty versus righty, whatever, you just have to go play. Don't worry about it."

Jenkins has had quite a few quotes I've enjoyed this year, but this is one of my favorites. Over the course of the season, there's probably a difference between if Estrada hits 5th every game or 7th, but to me it's always been blown out of proportion, myself included. I'm just excited about this lineup as a whole, in whatever order they end up.

Regarding Yost's apparent decision to bat Weeks 8th, when he comes back...

I'd love to sit down with Yost over a beer and hear how he comes up with these lineups. Even "bad Weeks" gets on base at a better clip than many of the guys Yost is apparently going to let hit in front of him. But hey, Jenkins and Weeks must be the 7th and 8th best hitters on the team? Picking a lineup out of a hat would make more sense than half the stuff Yost comes up with.

Is anyone concerned about Braun's BB/K rate? In 89 PA he's walked 4 times and K's 22. That's not good. I would assume that is the worst ratio of any hitter batting 3rd in the bigs. And I'd further assume that it's only going to get worse once he goes around the league and the scouts get a better look at him. He's got a .326 OBP right now that is only being held up by his .294 BA.

Might be best to get him out of that spot now, with the excuse that Rickie's back and they want to keep Hart, Rickie and Hardy at the top of the lineup, and Braun is just the odd man out. Move him down to 8th.

Hart

Weeks

Hardy

Prince

Hall

Jenkins

Estrada

Braun

Maybe Yost simply agrees with the 'batting order doesn't matter' stuff that is repeated here quite regularly by some.

If that were true, I wouldn't think that he would change it seemingly every day. Considering his level of tinkering and comments regarding it, I think it's fair to say he thinks it's very important.

Is anyone concerned about Braun's BB/K rate? In 89 PA he's walked 4 times and K's 22.

I don't think many pitchers would pitch around him to get to Prince. He is crushing LHP so far, and I suspect will K some. I couldn't imagine Braun doing any better than he has to this point.

If that were true, I wouldn't think that he would change it seemingly every day.

I tend to agree. I think if Yost thought it had minimal impact, he would fill out his lineup card in the traditional manner, and let the chips fall as they would.

It's still early with Braun, in the minors (at least this year) he didn't do much of either (walks or K's) but actually had less K's than walks. I think the lack of walks can be attributed to Prince hitting behind him, so pitchers have to be agressive with him. And like I said, it's still early, Prince himself was 0 for his first 11 with 7 K's last year...

Ideal lineup

Hart

Braun

Hardy

Fielder

Hall

Jenks

Estrada

Weeks

P

I think that Rickie needs to be put in a place in the line-up that will contain a lot less pressure. Plus, on days when he gets a day off for soreness the order doesn't need to change.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived