Brewer Fanatic

It's time againÂ?Name your ideal lineup (Designated Lineup Thread)

No he hits 5th because he's a ".300" hitter. But why he's still there sis still weird. He hits behind the other slowest regular, a guy who often is on base. Also by hitting in front of Jenkins, an opposing manger can bring in the lefty to face Estrada and Jenkins knowing that even if Yost would lift Jenkins in favor of Mench, he can still bring in a right handed pitcher.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hart is doing a great job as a leadoff hitter, and should stay there until Weeks is healthy and swinging a good bat. Estrada has to move out of the fifth spot, but can't go to 8 because you need someone with at least a little plate discipline there.

RH LH Hart Hart Hardy Hardy Fielder Hall Hall Fielder Jenkins Braun Braun Estrada Estrada Mench Weeks Weeks P P

Obviously I think that Hall will get hot, and I hate the Estrada/ Mench combo against lefties, but Weeks can clear the pitcher or get on base and have the pitcher move him over. It keeps an emphasis on plate discipline while taking the pressure off of him and allowing him to recover from his injury.

(Made chart pretty http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif --1992casey)

I don't think hitting Weeks 8th helps you one bit. Particulary when you hitting him in front of the pitcher. He is going to see absolutely nothing to hit down there. What you need in the 8th hole is some one who will walk and allow you to get the pitcher out of the way and not leading off innings.

1. Weeks

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Feilder

5.Hart

6. Jenkins/Mench

7. Hall

8. Estrada

9. P spot

Versus LHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Hall

6. Weeks

7. Jenkins

8. Estrada

vs. RHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Jenkins

6. Hall

7. Estrada

8. Weeks

I hate Estrada batting 5th.

Hate it.

Count me firmly in the camp that Braun should not be batting 3rd. So far he has shown horrible plate discpline. Makes Bill Hall look like Wade Boggs. 13 ks now and 2 BB.

Idea lineup vs RHP

Hart

Hardy

Prince

Hall

Jenkins

Braun

Estrada

Counsel

SP

Braun and Estrada could be flipped, it doesn't matter.

Right now my ideal lineup would be a lineup that is the same day in day out with the exception of our platoon spots, (currently LF and 2B).

Brian made a point of saying this is the 12th lineup in 12 days, and I'm sure atleast 25 lineups this year.

Something consistant, please. And consistent yet without Estrada batting 5th.

1. Hart CF

2.Gross RF

3. Hardy SS

4. Fielder 1B

5. Hall 2B

6. Jenkins/Mench LF

7. Braun 3B

8. Esrada/Miller C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
2.Gross RF

I hope this doesn't fall under ressurecting the Gywnn threads.

I feel the same way about Gross that I feel about Gywnn.

They are spare OFs. If you play them everyday the things you like about both gets minimized fairly quickly.

If they pinch hit and start a couple times every couple weeks they are fine, but if the Brewers are forced to use either one for much more we are in trouble. I knew you would find a way to get Hall in the infeild. What happens to Weeks when he returns? I know he is what he is.

This is what Yost hasn't yet grasped:

Johnny Estrada is a good hitter for a catcher.

He is not a good hitter for an outfielder, or a 1st baseman, or even a third baseman.

Good lineups do not have Johnny Estradas hitting 5th. It's that simple. Bat him 7th or 8th and be done with it.

Not only is he hurting the team in that spot, it's taking away from his defensive concentration.

By the way, Bob Brenly was critical of Ned Yost's lineup during the Cub telecast last night. He could not understand moving Fielder from 3rd to 4th and replacing him with a rookie in the number 3 spot. As much as I think Braun will be a stud, I think he's got a point. According to Brenly "you have to get Fielder up there as much as possible".

No DH

vs. RHP

1. Weeks

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Jenkins

6. Hart

7. Hall/Gwynn

8. Estrada

9. SP

vs. LHP

1. Weeks

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Hall

6. Mench

7. Hart

8. Estrada

9. SP

DH

vs. RHP

1. Weeks

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Jenkins

6. Hart

7. Gross (DH)

8. Hall/Gwynn

9. Estrada

vs. LHP

1. Weeks

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun (DH)

5. Hall

6. Mench

7. Hart

8. Estrada

9. Graffanino (3B)

i get that they want some sort of lineup stability so im gunna give menchkins one spot in the lineup even though it may mess up the righty lefty righty lefty thing on certain days. heres my lineup:

rf hart

ss hardy

1b fielder

2b weeks

lf menchkins

3b braun

cf hall

c estrada

pitcher

im torn about having estrada 8th as many have made the point of him being a free swinger in the 8th spot and all he will do is K a lot, but i just feel putting your weakest hitter last is the way to go. besides, maybe one of the reasons he has been such a free swinger has been his higher spots in the lineup throughout his career. you have coaches, teach him how to take some pitches. I am also torn on who should bat earlier between hall and braun, i guess at this point its about a push but i think it would be better for braun at this stage of his career to have a legit threat bat after him.

-don

Right now? Here's what I'd do:

1 - Hart

2 - Hardy

3 - Fielder

4 - Jenkins vs right/Hall vs left

5 - Hall vs right/Braun vs left

6 - Braun vs right/Mench vs. left

7 - Estrada

8 - Counsell/Graffanino

This one's tough - I'd like Fielder at cleanup, but I trust nobody enough to not kill a rally in the 3-hole before the big guy steps to the plate.

I was flirting with Hall at 3 or 6 (punch out all you want, buddy, it's not gonna do that much damage), but then I don't know where to put Braun.

My two biggest things right now are get Braun out of the 3-hole and Estrada out of 5. Braun can reclaim the 3-hole once he's settled, but Estrada should never be at 5.

Edit: I didn't think about Weeks's return. When he does, here goes:

1 - Hart

2 - Hardy

3 - Weeks

4 - Fielder

5 - Jenkins v. right/Hall v. left

6 - Braun

7 - Estrada

8 - Hall v. right/Mench v. left

Note that I have pretty much no faith against Mench, even against lefties.

Vs. RHP

1. Hart or Gwynn

2. Hardy

3. Fielder

4. Braun

5. Jenkins

6. Hall

7. Estrada

8. Counsell

Vs. LHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Hall

4. Fielder

5. Braun

6. Mench

7. Estrada or Miller

8. Graffanino

When Weeks comes back, he bats 7th until he gets it rolling. Estrada/Miller drop to 8th.

I believe Hall is ready to explode.

Interesting lineup facts for the 2007 Brewers.

Only 3 players have batted 5th for the Brewers (Estrada, Mench, Jenks)

8 players have batted 7th. (Hart 15 is the most)

Estrada has only batted 5th, and besides Weeks is the ONLY Brewer to bat in one position.

Estrada is 2nd on the team in "Starts in a spot" with 45 starts in the 5 spot. Hardy is first with 49 starts in the 2 spot.

Looking back to 2004 (Braves) Estrada batted primarily 5th, and had his best season. In 2005 (Braves) he was moved to the 6th and 7th spot where he stayed in 2006 (Dbacks).

My ideal lineup (assuming healthy Weeks).

Hart

Hardy

Fielder

Braun

Hall

Jenks

Estrada

Weeks.

I think Hart is doing a great job in the leadoff and we would be much better suited with weeks in the 5 spot so he can better utilize his power

My Ideal Lineup

Hart

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Weeks

Jenkins

Hall

Estrada

i'm always wondering why Estrada is in the 5-hole, too. but then i think about the other options to bat 5th, and they've never really seemed a whole lot better. Mench? Weeks and his BA? slumping Hall?

as much as I don't love Estrada there, it just doesn't seem like we have a viable alternative.

I posted earlier about Braun moving out of # 3 until he got settled. Well, I think I'm ready to leave him at 3.

VS. LHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Hall

6. Mench

7. Estrada

8. Graffanino

VS. RHP

1. Hart

2. Hardy

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Jenkins

6. Hall

7. Estrada

8. Counsell

Just get Estrada out of the 5 spot. When Weeks comes back it gets a little blurry.

Quote:
i'm always wondering why Estrada is in the 5-hole, too. but then i think about the other options to bat 5th, and they've never really seemed a whole lot better. Mench? Weeks and his BA? slumping Hall?

as much as I don't love Estrada there, it just doesn't seem like we have a viable alternative.

I was shocked in every game of this series that the Cubs pitched to Feilder. I wouldn't give him a thing to hit and take my chances with Estrada, Jenkins and Hall.

Why pitch to Feilder?

v RHP

Weeks

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hall

Jenkins

Estrada

Hart

P

v LHP