Brewer Fanatic

Weeks for Roberts....Would You Do It?

I Weeks can put up production like he did last year every year, he will be one of the better 2B in the league. Everybody talks like Weeks had a bad year last year. He obviously has yet to live up to his potential, but last year wasn't exactly bad. His defense is subpar, but he is pretty good offensivley.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just can't buy that it got that much better in the six days that he was down there. It had to be some combination of mental and physical problems dogging him in June and July.

Google "Rickie Weeks wrist injury" or "Rickie Weeks injury". The scar tissue was cleared out almost literally to the day the docs predicted a year prior when Rickie had the surgery. There's no coincidence involved.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To just assume that we're going to lose everyone...I just don't get it.
I don't think anyone has said that, but if it helps your argument, then go for it....

No? Everytime something about a young player comes up, it's "he's probably not going to be here in the future anyway".

And if that's not the general feeling, then why is our window just three years? It's like that's the boards consensus so everyone kinda assumes it's fact.

But if you want to take one line from my entire post, and make a sarcastic comment without any real value whatsoever, then go for it.....

I know his wrist was giving him problems the whole year. ( The last series of the year he said in a post game interview he still can't swing the bat as hard as he would like) I just can't buy that it got that much better in the six days that he was down there. It had to be some combination of mental and physical problems dogging him in June and July.

Yea, I guess I can buy that. Maybe it was just the relief of not being in the spotlight for a couple days and being able to relax.

Heck, look at what happened with him in between the time you posted this and now. He went down to a AAA game for a day, had a double and a triple, came back and had a great game with a 3 run shot. Maybe that's the key with Rickie. Just let him play in a minor league game from time to time.

I Weeks can put up production like he did last year every year, he will be one of the better 2B in the league. Everybody talks like Weeks had a bad year last year. He obviously has yet to live up to his potential, but last year wasn't exactly bad. His defense is subpar, but he is pretty good offensivley.

I totally agree. Even last year when he clearly wasn't right, he still finished top 5 in baseball for leadoff hitters in OBP, SLG and OPS. That's not bad for a guy who people think hasn't even come close to touching his potential.

So even if last year is what you get with Rickie, he's still a pretty solid player. The thing is, I think it's clear that's not what he is. He's shown what he can do, now he has to show it over a full season.

And on a final note, I don't think anyone's giving him unlimited time, I'm just saying, even if he has a decent, but not great year next year, it still doesn't mean he won't break out. He'll STILL just be 25 at the end of this year, and 26 all next year(09), so while the "he's got so much potential" line is getting tiresome, I don't think it's quite as critical as some do that he breaks out in a big way this year. Critical to the Brewers success, just not the fatal blow to his career if he doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

But it wasn't that he spent time in AAA, it was that the scar tissue was cleaned up/out of his wrist. Rickie's health returned exactly when the doctors said it would over a year ago. This was a physical issue, not something Rickie magically figured out in his approach... which gives great reason to be excited about him entering 2008 healthy - the first such MLB season in his career

I find it way too covenient to say that it was scar tissue only. He started hitting immediately upon his demotion to AAA - like the first game. I really doubt it was only improved health since that would probably manifest itself as a gradual improvement. It's more than likely a combination of mental and physical.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Agreed on the combo, but it really was more the physical side imo. AAA pitching just isn't that much worse than MLB pitching. Rickie got healthy, that's why his power returned.

• 2 weeks later...

Q: TOM of PALATINE - IF THE ORIOLES OFFERED BRIAN ROBERTS FOR RICKIE WEEKS, WOULD MELVIN CONSIDER IT? I THINK WEEKS IS JUST A TEASE, AND WILL BE AN AVERAGE MAJOR LEAGUER

A: Brewers Mailbag - I'd make the trade, merely because Roberts is productive now and Weeks has yet to be consistent. That's assuming you want to win right now. Weeks would have the higher ceiling in the long-term.

Tom Haudricourt would do it.

would this be a good move for the brewers to get an established leadoff hitter? i read today that his name is still floating out there. could rickie weeks be traded straight up for him? toss in a zach jackson with it.

i would love to see the brewers make this move.

Jeez, the thread title made me think something legitimate was in the works

Anyway, as of right now, I'd take Weeks/Jackson for Roberts. We might regret it later, both in terms of Weeks' development and his relationship with Fielder, but I'm not sure the team can afford to wait for him to develop to his potential much longer.

It's a no-brainer to not give away your highest-ceiling offensive player who has yet to hit his prime, yet still matches Roberts's prime-era production. Roberts's OBPs from the past 3 seasons: .377, .347, .387

Weeks is already well in that range, and his power makes Roberts's look like a minor-leaguer.

Weeks .235/.374/.433

Roberts .290/.377/.432

What I don't understand is when speaking about Weeks the only references seem to be OBP/SLG and general offense. Lest we forget what an impact it would have on the defense to have somebody other than rickiE wEEks at 2b?

Weeks .235/.374/.433

Roberts .290/.377/.432

What I don't understand is when speaking about Weeks the only references seem to be OBP/SLG and general offense. Lest we forget what an impact it would have on the defense to have somebody other than rickiE wEEks at 2b?

Yes that is a good point. Roberts is gonna do two things better than weeks, defend and make contact.

I still don't do this trade though. Weeks hasn't looked bad at the plate this year. He's seeing the ball pretty damn good but just doesn't have much to show for it. Yost said it best in the article on the Brewer website; he's hit into bad luck this year. He has something like a .213 BABIP. The average will rise this month.

Archived