Brewer Fanatic

Kohl already looking to replace Harris; Harris fired; Latest--John Hammond hired

patrickgpe
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skiles in!

For the younger Brewer fans Skiles he had a 13 game career for the Bucks in 86-87 after being a great point guard at Michigan St.

My favorite quote from Skiles at the time:

Asked during one of his times on the dl: How do you feel?

"How do you think I feel? I'm 22, my back's killing me and my hair's falling out!"

People seemed to like the prospect of Skiles being head coach more than the prospect of Carlisle. Why? I'm guessing Carlisle's career record is better (and longer). And Skiles is Chicago's reject. I don't have expertise to base it on, but Skiles seems inferior to Carlisle as a choice for NBA coach. Not excited....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

People seemed to like the prospect of Skiles being head coach more than the prospect of Carlisle. Why?

I'm going to guess that Carlisle is close to taking a different job. Isn't he in the running for the Knicks job?

Isn't he in the running for the Knicks job?

Mark Jackson seems to be the front runner for this job.

People seemed to like the prospect of Skiles being head coach more than the prospect of Carlisle. Why? I'm guessing Carlisle's career record is better (and longer). And Skiles is Chicago's reject. I don't have expertise to base it on, but Skiles seems inferior to Carlisle as a choice for NBA coach. Not excited....

Depends on who you ask. Sam Smith said this morning on 1250 that he is the best technical coach in the nba. I will give him that Chicago was a top defensive team when he was there without a premier defensive player, once he left they fell to the bottom of the league. Carlisle has a better record as a coach, but I still would prefer Skiles for this team to Carlisle.

Skiles is not exactly a "players' coach".. after a few years he really starts to wear on people. His players essentially quit on him this year.

I like the move but without massive roster surgery I don't think there will be much success this season. Given the contract situations this could be a multi-year rebuild. The Senator hasn't shown much patience with the last few coaches so it will be interesting to see how long a leash Skiles gets.

Pray for Michael Redd to get traded. He showed lots of signs of him not wanting to be here and he doesn't seem to be the guy to carry a team. Hopefully we can get lucky again in the lottery and get a top 3 pick, which would be awesome.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

Skiles is not exactly a "players' coach"..

Good. The last thing this group of players needs is another inexperienced coach that they can push around. Skiles will actually back up his talk. If you don't buy into his system, say hello to the bench. If you don't play defense, say hello to the bench.

If he wears on the team in a couple of years but teaches them good fundamentals on defense I'll be satisfied and excited for the next guy to take over.

So what the heck happened with Skiles in Chicago this year?

I think he took the fall for the GM. Paxson has made some bad moves as GM and when things go wrong, the coach is usually the first to go. The Bulls glaring weakness was lack of a top notch scorer. Paxson had a deal on the table with the Lakers for the league's best scorer, Kobe, and he turned it down. Once again, solid move by the senator.

I am not too thrilled. I think Skiles will be good for about 2 seasons.

He is known for his no nonsense attitude and work ethic that will focus on defense. The only problem is none of his teams ever really bought into the concept. He never really got Ben Gordon playing for the team with a focus on defense. As a matter of fact, the best hustler/defender they had was Ben Wallace - who couldn't get along with Skiles.

I would have liked Van Gundy. His teams actually transform into defensive teams - as opposed to talking about it.

I am not too thrilled. I think Skiles will be good for about 2 seasons.

He is known for his no nonsense attitude and work ethic that will focus on defense. The only problem is none of his teams ever really bought into the concept. He never really got Ben Gordon playing for the team with a focus on defense. As a matter of fact, the best hustler/defender they had was Ben Wallace - who couldn't get along with Skiles.

I would have liked Van Gundy. His teams actually transform into defensive teams - as opposed to talking about it.

What? The Bulls never bought into his defensive concepts?

Skiles took over a 23 win Bulls team and the next season they won 47 games and were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. This year the Bulls imploded, but during his times as their head coach, Chicago for the most part has been one of the better defensive teams in the league.

In ranking of FG% allowed on defense, last year the Bulls were 2nd best and the two years prior to that they were best in the NBA.

If in a three season span your team finishes 1st/1st/2nd on defense, i'm having a hard time grasping how that equals only "talking about" playing defense.

Really see no way to trade Redd without rebuilding heavily. Redd's contract means you get back crap and maybe one good player. Mo's contract is much easier to move.

The Bucks need to rebuild heavily. Not a single player on the team except for Bogut or Yi you could really build on that is currently on the team. It is time to part ways with Redd and Williams. One or both need to go. It will be interesting to see where the Bucks draft in the first round this year and who they will draft. My guess will be either a PG or a SF type of a player.

I think given the Bucks recent performance the past few years and with Kohl's reputation for getting in the way of things the Bucks did as well as I'd have hoped if not better in the GM hire and Skiles. I really don't know what more Bucks fans could realistically ask for in terms of a head coach. I still can't believe Skiles took this job, but money talks and it'll be good to have an experienced coach here for the first time since George Karl left.

I was watching the Time Warner Sports show that they have on their channel. One of the people on the show said that the team was now Bogut's after the final game of this season.

So how does Redd and Williams react to this? Are the Bucks a better team with Bogut leading them?

I still believe that trading Redd would be best for the team. I know Redd's contract isn't that great to trade away but maybe the Cav's will take on his salary and we could pick up Zydrunas Ilgauskas and another player for Redd. This would allow us to move Bogut to PF which he would be a better option as and move Yi to SF which he would make him even better.

The only better option in Free Agency that the Bucks could get instead of Yi at SF would be Shawn Marion. But I don't think the Bucks would be able to sign him without getting rid of Redd and Williams.

So how does Redd and Williams react to this? Are the Bucks a better team with Bogut leading them?
Jump shooting teams are extremely streaky and it's usually very difficult to see them advance far into the playoffs. In order to be a winner the Bucks need to use Yi and Bogut more inside. If Redd and Williams don't like that I have a feeling Skiles will not have a problem putting them on the bench.

I still believe that trading Redd would be best for the team. I know Redd's contract isn't that great to trade away but maybe the Cav's will take on his salary and we could pick up Zydrunas Ilgauskas and another player for Redd. This would allow us to move Bogut to PF which he would be a better option as and move Yi to SF which he would make him even better.

Bogut and Yi are too slow to play PF and SF respectively.

Archived