Brewer Fanatic

Dana Eveland pitching his way onto A's roster

RyDogg66

even if that deal hadn't been made, theres no chance he would have ever had a chance with MIL - I say that because look at us now during ST this year, much less unless he was as hyped as Gallardo, or he was called upon midseason to pitch due to injuries, he would have to put up great numbers to even have a chance.

But doesn't the question just boil down to... Davis + Eveland > Vargas?

I don't think I need to type out my answer to that one.

Actually it is Davis and Eveland vs Vargas and Mota. Still not good but we did trade Estrada for Mota.

Not to nitpick, but it's Davis, Eveland, and Krynzel for Vargas and Mota.

It hasn't worked out great for the Brewers, but the good thing is Melvin's deals tend to be organic. Part of a trade one year is pruned off and grows into another trade the next, which is pruned again in future years. This helps minimize the effect of trades that don't work so well...

Before we get our panties in a bunch, lets remember that Doug Davis wasn't necessarily "good" with the D'Backs last season. In fact, his walks, hits, homeruns were up last year and his strikeouts were down. This year he is looking to be the #4 starter at best and could be eclipsed by both Micah Owings and Billy Buckner before season's end. Now figure the D'Backs owe him around 16.5 million dollars over the next two years, and it certainly doesn't look like that great of a trade for Arizona either.

In so far as Dana Eveland is concerned...see Allen Levrault another fat kid who could dominate the minors but didn't do a thing in the majors. I will freely admit that Eveland has limited major league innings and could still turn it around, I'm just not going to hold my breath.

All told the Davis/Estrada deal seems like a wash to me.

No one's panties are in a bunch as far as I can tell. That trade with AZ is not a wash imo - and saying that is certainly not 'doom & gloom' time. It's just not an even deal - as some (not me) feared at the time.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Davis would have been as bad as Vargas last year with our defense. Eveland was useless last year. Krynzel will always be useless. So far it has been pretty even. Davis is off the books now, we wouldn't have had him this season even without the deal. So now it is Eveland vs Mota+Vargas and of course the $6M or so.

Davis sucks. I am not a huge Vargas fan, but at least we got rid of Davis. Vargas is a quality middle reliever (if we ever use him as such), which are at least as difficult to find as mediocer fourth starters like Davis. Was Eveland worth Estrada/Mota? Yes, if Mota has a solid year.

I'm not sure that I agree that Davis would have been just as bad as Vargas... both give up lotsa baserunners, but Claudio gets hit harder. Doug averaged 5.84 IP/Start last year, which has to have a more positive effect than Claudio's 5.30. I understand that defense plays a role in how long you can stay in a game, but could IF defense alone account for a gap as large as .54?

I know DD would've signed elsewhere had he pitched 2007 with the Crew, but I think he would have helped us more than Vargas did.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Davis' FIP was 4.68, Vargas' was 5.08. Not sure how Davis would have been just as bad. But that doesn't matter. Davis had value and was traded for junk. Eveland had value and was traded for even more junk. Just because they wouldn't be in Milwaukee doesn't make the trade a good thing.

Not only was Davis a bit better in terms of FIP, but he also pitched 192 innings vs. 134 for Vargas...and that is a significant issue for a starting pitcher. Davis would not have looked as good with the Milwaukee defense, but he was still more valuable than Vargas last year.

Davis had a 4.62 xERA, Vargas had a 4.77. They are the same guy. The real difference was good defensive team with one of best bullpens in baseball vs poor defensive team with a well below average bullpen.

Vargas did get hurt but I don't think you can blame the GM for something like that after a trade.

Let's just wait and see what Vargas does this year. If that new change turns out to be a pitch he can count on all year long rather than a pitch that was working for him in the one ST'ing game that I saw, then he could have a much better year this year than last. That change really looked like it could be a pitch that helps him pitch more efficiently meaning deeper into games.

It's rarely a good idea to make such definitive statements about a trade after just one year.

Oh, and I don't think Dana Eveland had much value at all last year.

But it's not like Vargas has consistently been a 200 inning guy except for last year....he pitched 167 innings in 2006, but last year (134) is his second highest in terms of IP. Davis has averaged over 200 IP for the last four years. Even if you accept the premise that the rate stats show that they are equally effective when they pitch, which is arguable, rate stats don't tell the whole story. In terms of single-year performance, I don't see much merit in the claim that Davis and Vargas are equally valuable, or that they are the same guy. Vargas was a bit cheaper, but he was also less valuable. And I think you'd have to project the same outcome next year...does anyone realistically project Vargas to pitch 200 innings of league-average ball?

Vargas isn't worthless by any stretch of the imagination, and I'll root for the guy, of course. But I'd rather have Doug Davis, hands down.

I am still skeptical that Vargas is pitching to contact. I know that's what he said he is doing, but he looked like he was still going deep into counts on many hitters. Still it was just one game that I saw.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Estrada was need because he could squat and hit...that was enough to get the trade done...it didn't work out so well, but unless you were going to have Davis catch...something had to be done...and yes, we had Damien Miller but he was not/is not starting 135+ game material anymore.

It was a stopgap deal and for it we did not have to extend DDavis.

cheers...rouse

Archived