Brewer Fanatic

Chris Narveson... any chance he wins a roster spot?

packer4rob

Any chance he wins a spot on the opening day roster? 15.1 innings pitched, 1 earned run, 13 k's, 6 walks. I know its spring training, and a small sample, but he seems pretty effective so far. If he goes to Nashville, would he likely get a chance to start?

(edit: clearer thread title --1992)

What Narveson has done this spring had somewhat eased concerns that has had them reluctant to give up any starter depth. Prior to his emergence it was a pretty big dropoff from the 8 top guys to the next in line who was Zack Jackson and another dropoff to the next guy beyond that.

Of course if Capuano's elbow soreness is serious, then they are down to 7.

I don't think there is anything he can do to break camp with the brewers, barring a few more injuries to other pitchers. He could well be up at some time during the season, or traded if a good offer comes.

Narveson is a good buddy of mine's first cousin. My friend told me about him a couple of years ago when he was in St. Louis's minor leagues and then when the Brewers picked him up. My friend said he hasn't talked to him in about 15 years until he talked to him at one of the first spring training games this year. I've been impressed with his stats every time I see a game review. It's always nice to have extra depth.

He has the same chance as R.A. Dickey had of being called up even though we had a bullpen/starting pitcher crisis last year.

He has a significantly better chance of being called up at some point this year than R.A Dickey did last year. I'm not sure if you're saying that he has as good of a chance to get called up as Dickey did, or if he has as good of a chance to make the opening day roster as Dickey did to get called up. I assume it's the prior.

Naverson ranked once upon a time as the Cardinals number 3 prospect and a future number 2 or 3 starter. The fact is, he's suffered setbacks, but he's still just 26 years old, is a left hander, and still has a great deal of ability. So, again, assuming that you're arguing that his chances of making the team are the same as Dickey's I'd argue that Dickey who is 34 years old, a right hander and a knuckleballer wasn't nearly as viable a candidate to get called up.

I also think that if Naverson can stay healthy, and that's a giant if, he could be Melvin's latest and greatest find.

4 pitches, a solid fastball, average curve and change, and a slider that could be an out pitch to go along with good command.

I'm not suggesting he should be on the 25 man or anything like that, simply that he's an interesting guy to stash away in AAA and let develop and maybe we uncover a gem in the future? We're going to need someone to step up with Sheets likely departure and the possible trade of Suppan next year.

What has his velocity been like? Is he a hard thrower, or a Capuano-type guy that is around 89-90?

He was a hard thrower when he came up I guess, but it sounds like now he's in the 89-91 range, toping out at 92 or so. But he does have 4 pitches. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on him. Seems like the type of guy who could make some noise in the future for the Brewers.

Archived