Brewer Fanatic

Capuano DL'd : Torn ligament in left elbow (reply #88); no surgery FOR NOW-try 3-4 weeks of rehab (reply #161); Tommy John surgery Thurs., May 16th (reply #192)

Blindcheck
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
RoCo - You are right, but also these guys can spend 8 hours a day rehabing while the rest of work. So I think rehab is a little different for us then them. BTW, what happened that caused you to get TJ?

I wasn't working while I rehabbed from TJ though. I was going in 5 days a week for 4 hour sessions. Generally speaking though, yeah, for most "normal" injuries, their rehab I'm sure is a lot more intensive than ours. I can honestly say though having had a good handful of rehab-requiring injuries, that TJ rehab was far and away the worst.

How I did it was just years of abuse in the construction industry, and I didn't go see a doctor until I was losing feeling in my hand.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing the game of what ifs, suppose we had traded Cappy. Wouldn't this injury fall under the "damaged goods" clause and cause the trade to be voided and the prospects returned? Or is it a done deal once he passes the physical regardless?

On a side note, this is why players will try to get as much money as soon as possible. Within one year Cappy went from "being an Ace on the team" to fans glad he's injured.

May Cappy get better and land a job with the Brewers or in the AL. I always liked his attitude and his interviews on B&B.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Playing the game of what ifs, suppose we had traded Cappy. Wouldn't this injury fall under the "damaged goods" clause and cause the trade to be voided and the prospects returned? Or is it a done deal once he passes the physical regardless?

If he passed the physical, I think it's just a done deal. The most recent case I can think of was the Majewski trade between WAS & CIN. CIN sued/appealed, but I don't know what came of it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just out of curiousity has anyone ever heard of a pitcher having TJ surgery twice? (on the same elbow)

Hasn't Gagne had TJ twice?

Chad Fox had it twice.

From today's J-S Online article:

It's rare for a pitcher to need a second "Tommy John" surgery, and also rare for one to return to top form afterward. Pitchers such as Chad Fox, Darren Dreifort and Steve Ontiveros were among those who had multiple elbow reconstructions.

Hearing the news about Cappy's injury makes me wonder whether he'll have a place with the team after 11 months of rehab.

I'd agree with that if Ted Simmons weren't also on the bench.

Toby, I guess that would be a litmus test for whether Ted Simmons actually is capable of stopping Ned from smashing all of his toys: Can Parra's arm survive the pen. Sadly, we all know how much Ned likes to listen to others' opinions, so I have a bad feeling that Parra would wind up rehabbing yet again if put in the pen.

Callis and Keith Law both have Villanueva's ceiling as a #5 - with Parra's ceiling as a #3.

If Callis really said that I am disappointed in him. Law I could care less about, because he is incorrect in his assessments 99% of the time, and must have some incriminating pictures of high placed people. Villa obviously has a ceiling higher than a 5. Villanueva would be a 3 starter on 10 teams in the majors right now.

If Callis really said that I am disappointed in him. Law I could care less about, because he is incorrect in his assessments 99% of the time, and must have some incriminating pictures of high placed people.
Lots of people always get on Callis for his pitcher ceilings. I went back and looked at some of his chats because I wanted to give accurate information. (Callis has also said this spring that he would trade Prince or Braun straight up for Jay Bruce)

Regarding Villanueva...

The stuff is pretty ordinary, yet he doesn't get hit hard. I think Villanueva could be an effective No. 4 or 5 starter.

Comparing Villanueva to Bush...

Better stuff is Bush. But Villanueva gets more out of what he's got.

Saying his peak is a #4 means that only 90 pitchers in all of baseball are better than him. (30 teams and top 3 starters from each team) I would say that is a pretty honest assessment.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080327&content_id=2461903&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

MESA, Ariz. -- The second opinion on Brewers left-hander Chris Capuano's injured elbow was different from the first, so Capuano apparently will opt for rehab instead of surgery.

William Raasch, the Brewers' head physician, read an MRI scan on Sunday, diagnosed Capuano with a torn ulnar collateral ligament and recommended that Capuano undergo the second Tommy John surgery of his career, a procedure that replaces the torn ligament with a tendon from a different part of the body and requires about a year of rehabilitation.

But James Andrews, the orthopedist who performed Capuano's first Tommy John surgery in 2002, did an MRI scan of his own this week in Birmingham, Ala., and recommended against surgery, at least for now. Andrews recommended that Capuano try rehabbing the elbow for three to four weeks.

"If, after that time, he is still experiencing discomfort, [Andrews] would recommend at the very least exploratory surgery," Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash wrote in an e-mail.

Capuano will be placed on the disabled list and will report back to Maryvale Baseball Park for rehab with physical therapist Kenny Patterson's staff.

On Sunday, a discouraged Capuano met with reporters after receiving Raasch's recommendation and seemed resigned to surgery. The success rate of successfully rehabbing a torn ligament, Ash said, was only 20-25 percent.

"I want to have someone else look at it, someone else tell me that I need to do this," Capuano said at the time.

My gut says that, if William Raasch thought he saw a torn ligament on his MRI, and James Andrews has indicated that surgery may still be necessary, there must be SOME substantial damage in there. I'd guess we don't see Capuano before the All Star break this season, if at all.

Last I heard before my vacation he was just faking it and "an inside source" said the team told him to do it. Maybe this is all part of the plot~.

That would be some plot. How reliable would you call your source?

It wasn't my source, someone posted it on this forum and everyone on toms blog seemed to think he was just faking it to hide his shame for giving up runs. I defended him and come back from vacation to see he could be out for the year.

Last I heard before my vacation he was just faking it and "an inside source" said the team told him to do it.

I don't buy it. I'm supposed to believe that the Brewer's head physician is part of the conspiracy? I realize that teams lie all the time about injuries but "tired arm" is all you have to say. To imagine up Tommy John surgery is unbelievable, IMO.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/search.php?keywords=306120/t/Capuano-Injury-Latest-Torn-ulnar-collateral-ligament--left-e.html#reply-306120

See a 'reliable source' said it is so! Someone else posted the same type of thing at Toms blog. I just think it is sad that people would assume something like this, if I knew how to put posts in blue on yuku quick reply I'd have put that first one in blue since I don't honestly believe he was faking it, just seemed to be what everyone else thought.

Archived