Brewer Fanatic

Capuano DL'd : Torn ligament in left elbow (reply #88); no surgery FOR NOW-try 3-4 weeks of rehab (reply #161); Tommy John surgery Thurs., May 16th (reply #192)

Blindcheck
Put Vargas in long relief, just in case he's needed for the annual Ben Sheets freak DL stint. The guy does have value, just not as a full-time starter.
Vargas isn't about to become the whipping boy. Introducing Seth McClung!

Because the Brewers seem determined to keep McClung - Villanueva will start in AAA. And Vargas will start in MLB, instead of taking the long role.

I can't imagine anyone (other than the Brewers) perfering Vargas and McClung over Vargas and Villanueva.

I feel horrible for Capuano. He was getting by on control - and was always a pretty soft tosser. I would have to imagine a second tommy john surgery is possibly career threatening for him.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vargas isn't about to become the whipping boy. Introducing Seth McClung!

Because the Brewers seem determined to keep McClung - Villanueva will start in AAA. And Vargas will start in MLB, instead of taking the long role.

Vargas will remain one of my whipping boys of choice, largely because he's still in the Brewers' rotation. If he and another starter can't average close to 6 IP/start... bad things might happen to the bullpen.

EDIT:

What is the reasoning for Parra over Villanueva in the rotation? Is there any? Because Villy has a role in the bullpen?

Absolutely none whatsoever. Villanueva would be starting for AAA Nashville "just in case." If given the choice between two starters, I would go with the one that doesn't have to be on strict pitch counts due to his injury history. Having Vargas AND Parra in the rotation for any amount of time can drain a bullpen.

What is the reasoning for Parra over Villanueva in the rotation? Is there any? Because Villy has a role in the bullpen?

From what I've read it appears to keep a lefty in the starting rotation, but that doesn't really make sense to me in the long-haul.

This is the biggest reason we didn't trade any of the pitchers for a couple of prospects. Vargas could rescue this team this year but most of the offseason, posters could not wait to get him out the door.

It might be just as easy to keep Parra's innings low in the bigs as it would in AAA, and frankly we need Manny's innings in Milwaukee, not in Nashville. I'm gonna guess he'll follow a similar pattern to that of Gallardo last season, where he starts the year in the rotation, gets bumped to the bullpen for awhile, and then finishes back in the rotation. I could see him in the rotation April and May, in the pen June and July (perhaps with Villanueva being called up to take his spot) and then a return to the rotation in August and September.

If it came down to it, sending him down to AAA in June and July for short starts wouldn't be the end of the world either. But I'd like all his innings with Milwaukee if at all possible. Having Simba around gives me faith that they'd figure out a way to get him regular bullpen work during that time without taxing his arm. Prior to Simba joining the staff, I was more for the AAA option.

If they keep Parra as the 5th starter they can skip him on weeks where they have off-days, which will keep his innings down. That is the reasoning for keeping him over Villy in the rotation.

Parra is better.

Villanueva has produced very respectable numbers. But the feeling (at least among baseball folks - GMs & Scouts) is that he wasn't as good as his number showed.

Parra has a higher ceiling and better stuff.

This is the biggest reason we didn't trade any of the pitchers for a couple of prospects.

I sort of doubt it -- My guess is the biggest reason was that we didn't get any good offers.

Vargas could rescue this team this year but most of the offseason, posters could not wait to get him out the door.

Vargas will probably suck, and will probably not rescue anything. I'd be ok if he would have been traded for something.

Agreed twobrewers about Parra vs. CV. Sitting behind home plate for a majority of spring training games this year, Parra has MUCH better stuff. More life on his fastballs, more cut on his breaking balls. Not to mention for the roatation he is OUR ONLY LEFTY NOW! Maybe I am the only one who thinks having 5 right handed pitchers in a rotation is a bad thing?! I hate this though. Although Cappy may have been getting roughed up a bit he is a TREMENDOUS guy. He signs autographs for everyone, is extremely friendly, and is a class act in every aspect. Yesterday I was at early morning BP and he was throwing balls underhanded and my heart sunk immediately. I knew it was bad after reading about the injury, but seeing him throwing like that was hard to watch. After BP was over, as people were getting autographs from him, I asked how his elbow was feeling. He told me it felt good. I only wish he was telling the truth.....

Best wishes to Cappy in his recovery. He strikes me as a guy that will land on his feet. Whether that would be in baseball or not is the question, but if anyone can come back from two TJ's I think it's him. Being a soft tosser, will work for him, I think, and let's not forget that he's a fitness buff that will dedicate himself 100 percent to rehab. Hope we talk about him as a candidate for comeback player of the year in '09.

I really feel bad for Capuano. Whenever i hear him interviewed, he comes off as not only a great guy, but a great teammate. All i can offer is my best wishes he comes back healthy and can continue his career whether it's as a Brewer or elsewhere.

As for the rotation, i hope Parra makes the team. Like others have noted, being the 5th starter would allow for skipping a few starts. Plus, i feel to some degree the number off innings a pitcher throws are overrated compared to pitch counts. If he pitches well, hopefully the pitch counts can be reasonable and keep him relatively fresh. Parra could struggle and pitch six innings in a game while throwing 108 pitches or say throw 7 2/3 with 98 pitches thrown.

If we could avoid to many of those games with Parra starting where he throws a ton of pitches in 5-6 inning starts, i see that being the best way to protect his arm more than focusing almost solely on innings pitched.

Absolutely none whatsoever. Villanueva would be starting for AAA Nashville "just in case." If given the choice between two starters, I would go with the one that doesn't have to be on strict pitch counts due to his injury history. Having Vargas AND Parra in the rotation for any amount of time can drain a bullpen.

So what, you think Melvin and Yost flipped a coin? I'm pretty sure that their is logic IF that's what they decide to do(by the way, it seems to have gotten lost that a decision hasn't been made yet!!)in sending Villy down. Probably because they think that Parra's better. It's not really a crazy concept. Parra's stuff IS much, much better.

And Vargas has looked like a different pitcher this spring with his change. That could really make him more efficient and help the team a great deal.

Villanueva has produced very respectable numbers. But the feeling (at least among baseball folks - GMs & Scouts) is that he wasn't as good as his number showed.

Not that I don't believe you, but according to what? What GM's have expressed this?

Yes - that means Vargas should not be in the rotation when Gallardo returns.

Sheets

Suppan

Gallardo

Villanueva

Bush

Put Vargas in long relief, just in case he's needed for the annual Ben Sheets freak DL stint. The guy does have value, just not as a full-time starter.

Vargas should not be in the rotation if it can at all be helped. Parra and Villanueva can be in the rotation until Gallardo returns. Giving Vargas a starting job to keep McClung on the team makes little sense.

It might be just as easy to keep Parra's innings low in the bigs as it would in AAA, and frankly we need Manny's innings in Milwaukee, not in Nashville. I'm gonna guess he'll follow a similar pattern to that of Gallardo last season, where he starts the year in the rotation, gets bumped to the bullpen for awhile, and then finishes back in the rotation. I could see him in the rotation April and May, in the pen June and July (perhaps with Villanueva being called up to take his spot) and then a return to the rotation in August and September.

IMO Gallardo and Parra are two completely different cases. While both arms did require treatment with kid gloves, Parra requires that treatment in a completely different way than Gallardo due to his injury past. Putting Parra in the pen at any point all but ensures that Ned has another toy to break - literally - with Parra. We saw how Villanueva, a pitcher without a prior injury history, ran out of gas in the bullpen due to overuse by Ned. Do we really want to chance that - even for a little while - with Parra? I wouldn't.

Pitchers who should be on as strict of pitch counts and inning limits as Parra should be to start 2008 would be better served pitching a limited amount of innings in AAA, where he won't be taxing a pen that we saw last year get overburdened because starters could not consistently go six-plus innings.

Probably because they think that Parra's better. It's not really a crazy concept. Parra's stuff IS much, much better.
Yes, but his arm is much, much more likely to explode if not properly taken care of by the Brewers. As important as "win now" is, "sacrificing the future to win only now" gets us in the Cubs' mess with what they went through with Wood and Prior. I'll pass on that.

Parra could struggle and pitch six innings in a game while throwing 108 pitches or say throw 7 2/3 with 98 pitches thrown.
I would honestly be surprised if the Brewers allowed Parra to go 108 pitches, let alone 98 pitches. I'd say he'd be on a 85-90 pitch limit.

Not that I don't believe you, but according to what? What GM's have expressed this?
For scouts I was referring to every scouting report I have ever read on Villanueva and Parra. Callis and Keith Law both have Villanueva's ceiling as a #5 - with Parra's ceiling as a #3.

For GMs, I was baseing it on two things. One, GMs get their reports from scouts. Two, Melvin must think Parra is better to choose him over Villanueva. (Granted, those are by no means "direct" opinions from GMs - but I am very confident GMs would like Parra better)

I think the fan/observer can look at Carlos's BB rates/totals and see why there's some cause for concern.

As for Vargas looking good in ST, can we really take that as anything more than a guy facing lesser competition?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the fan/observer can look at Carlos's BB rates/totals and see why there's some cause for concern.

As for Vargas looking good in ST, can we really take that as anything more than a guy facing lesser competition?

Carlos is a young guy. He's got plenty of time to "learn" control before he's at an age where we shouldn't or can't expect improvement. Now that being said, I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Parra at this point in time, but walk rate for a guy CV's age isn't a huge concern (yet).

And I'm just going to say that being glad someone is hurt, even for the "good of the team" is pretty sick. Having gone through TJ surgery personally, you don't just lose a year of work, you lose the ability to do a lot of things you normally take for granted, as your "good" hand is all but useless for close to 6 months. Not to mention the fact that TJ rehab is downright brutal.

I sometimes think that some "fanatics" lose sight of the fact that these guys are actually people, and have lives and stuff when they leave the ballpark.

Being glad someone gets hurt is horrible. I wish nothing but good luck for Cappy.

RoCo - You are right, but also these guys can spend 8 hours a day rehabing while the rest of work. So I think rehab is a little different for us then them. BTW, what happened that caused you to get TJ?

Archived