Brewer Fanatic

What's the story with Eric Gagne?

AJAY
Well certainly Logan, but they can deviate from the schedule to accomodate getting ready for realistic situations. If Dave Bush gives up 8 runs over 2 innings, does he stay out there for a 3rd and 4th, etc even after throwing 90 pitches? No, they deviate from the schedule to accomodate the situation. I'd like to see if Gagne head is screwed on straight in spring training with a save opportunity or two, rather than waiting until the 9th inning of opening day to lose two games in one inning to the Cubbies. I do understand the schedule, Logan, I do. Just there are some mental issues to work out with the closers and I'd rather not wait until it counts to see.

I would rather have it that way as well, but that isn't how it works, like it or not.

In response to securedsports, what about Gagne's good friend Derrick Turnbow?

Pretty sad, but I love it.

I'm assuming you don't like Gagne. Is that what you meant?

there would have to be a train wreck (literally or figuratively) for Pena to be on the club before September.

Pena on the club in any capacity? I think all it would take is a combination of two or three things...Pena pitches well in the first half down in Nashville, and one or two of the veteran RH relievers (Gagne, Turnbow, Torres, Mota, Riske) either get hurt or pitch badly. Sadly, I think the odds are pretty good that one or more of our $3M men in the pen will break down in some way.

Saw him on the 18th vs. the Angels -threw the same pitch 8 times for a ball and in the dirt- has the Manny baggy pants thing going big time-crowd was really harsh (get a tailor, cheater...)-kind of a circus atmosphere frankly

saw him again Thursday night vs. the Royals- pitch speed was up but so were the pitches-he was hit hard, one for a 2B, the other a line shot to Hart

have my doubts, but it was only two innings- not dominant tho

and as to the OUTCAST bit- I watched him work with Sheets Monday morning for about ten minutes on a new pitch- he and Benny and Turnbow seemed to be hanging together for most of the morning- also quite a yapper during the pitchers batting/fielding practice games-didn't seem to be shunned to me

I have always liked Gagne. And now that he plays for my team I like him even more. I know he won't ever be the pitcher he was in LA but I still think he can save us 40+ games this season and keep the blown saves to a minimum. Until he starts getting shelled in real games I won't look to much into his spring performances.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I've seen him throw twice this year in games and neither time did he even CLOSELY resemble Cordero. Aside from Weeks, Gagne is the ONLY guy who scares me, largely due to his dominant role with the team.

He doesn't have to resemble Cordero. He's nothing at all like Cordero. Cordero was fastball in the mid 90's and a slider. Gange is fastball, change which is nasty, and curve.

Last year he didn't even break camp with the Rangers because he was sore, and he had a great first half of the year over there. His velocity was also way down early in last years ST'ing and it jumped up considerably when the season started.

He'll be fine as long as he's healthy and he's healthy right now.

I'd like to see if Gagne head is screwed on straight in spring training with a save opportunity or two, rather than waiting until the 9th inning of opening day to lose two games in one inning to the Cubbies. I do understand the schedule, Logan, I do. Just there are some mental issues to work out with the closers and I'd rather not wait until it counts to see.

Eric Gange knows what it's like to be out there in the 9th inning. He's got the best Save pct of all time, so i don't know how many mental issues we need to work out there.

As for the scenario you gave, the problem there is that in that scenario obviously you'd take Bush out early as he'd be going over his pitch limit. You don't bring a guy in, especially a guy like Gange so he can save a ST'ing game when he's on a schedule and he may have worked a couple times already in the past couple days.

Again, what's it going to accomplish? Who cares if we don't win, and Gange's just fine mentally. That's never been an issue. Even when he's come back for short periods of time from the DL, he's been very good. When he's been healthy, he's always been a good pitcher.

But just for arguments sake, lets say his head wasn't "screwed on". What would that do? They're not going to take him out of the closers role because of ST'ing. It's not like he doesn't know that it's not important. So you're not finding anything out before opening day in either scenario.

In response to securedsports, what about Gagne's good friend Derrick Turnbow?

I'm assuming you don't like Gagne. Is that what you meant?

Or Mota who they were just talking about being friends with Gange and Gange welcoming him by talking about how it'd be just like old times when they were in LA. I really doubt that there's much truth to this. Sounds like an axe to grind.

Archived