Brewer Fanatic

What's the story with Eric Gagne?

AJAY
Does anyone know what is going with Eric Gagne? Why is he only playing in minor league games? Why is he only throwing on the side? Is he hurt? Are the Brewers hiding something? I haven't seen him play much in the exhibition games and I am starting to get a bad feeling.

We have a ton of starting pitchers that need to be stretched out for the regular season so they're getting the innings in big league camp. Our relievers go to minor league camp because if they reach their pitch limit they can just call off the inning. Turnbow has thrown a few games in minor league camp too. Nothing to worry about.

According to the article on brewers.com, this spring he has thrown 3 IP, allowing 3 ER on 6 hits with 1 K. He is sitting around 90-91, with Yost saying that once the regular season starts and Gagne's adrenaline kicks in, he will sit around 93.

I think this is by design. It seems to me that Ned said something a couple of weeks ago about purposely starting Gagne out slowly and that he actually did something similar with Cordero last year.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

During today's game they montioned(they being Brian or Bill) that Gagne was being pitched at minor league camp because he was playing like the regular season and they wanted him to hold back a little.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If Gagne struggles (I really hope he doesn't), who is the closer? Could it be Pena?
I doubt it. I don't believe Pena will make the 25 man roster - so the replacement will have to be one of the pitcher who does make the club.

(Unless they put Gagne on the DL and call up Pena. But I would imagine Mota or Torres would be in line for the closer role)

I think this is by design. It seems to me that Ned said something a couple of weeks ago about purposely starting Gagne out slowly and that he actually did something similar with Cordero last year.

Gagne also only throws one of his pitches during each outing. I'm not worried. If he falters, we got Turnbow.

Yeah, if Gagne flames out I think Torres will get the first call. He's done it before (maybe Riske has too, I'm unaware on this point) but he seems to have a more classic closer's make up. I also suspect that Riske will be doing a great job in the 7th or 8th inning and Yost won't want to move him.

I was listening to Dibble along with Kevin Kennedy last night on XM and both said that team routinely hide pitchers who are hurt or struggling in ST. Why? Don't know I fell alseep, dang!

The Brewers just played a 10-inning game intentionally so that both of their starters could get 5 innings of work. There are very few opportunities for relievers to even pitch in spring training games.

I'd be more concerned if Gagne wasn't pitching at all, in any game situation...where's the ranting and raving about Torres not having thrown a single spring training inning?

This is typically the point in spring training where pitchers go through their dead arm phase as they build up arm strength for the regular season (as evidenced by Sheets scuffling to get the radar gun up to 90 during his last 2 outings). If pitchers are still on their regular throwing schedules at this point in spring training, there's not really an injury concern. For a reliever, their throwing schedule doesn't have to include coming in every MLB spring training game to close, either.

Turnbow was supposed to be the closer before we got Gagne and Turnbow would be the closer if Gagne were deemed injured/ineffective. Beyond that, I would think Riske would be third in line, if only because of the contract stipulations that kick in if/when he closes. As for Gagne, it was my understanding that each day, he worked on a different pitch and, thus, his numbers are obviously skewed.

Gagne also only throws one of his pitches during each outing. I'm not worried.

Yeah, once Gagne starts mixing his pitches in a real game I think he is gonna be fine. It does scare me just a little that he is only throwing 90-91 and even Yost saying he should be throwing 93 by regular season that also isn't that hard. I was hoping he would be throwing around 94-95.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

His average FB was only 92.3 MPH last year so I wouldnt' expect to see much over 93/94 at the top end. He is not going to be the dominant guy fromt he dodgers but if he can strike out close to 1 per inning and not walk very many he should be fine.

gagne, turnbow, riske, mota, torres have all closed before. there would have to be a train wreck (literally or figuratively) for Pena to be on the club before September.

I don't think that it's that unlikely that Pena gets a callup at some point on the 25 man, but I think that there would have to be a trainwreck for him to get the closers spot.

He could be the next reliever in line if he's throwing the ball well down in AAA, and we're likely going to see at least a couple guys go down this year, so I would expect that either Brey or Pena get the cal before the All-Star break.

Today was a perfect opportunity for a save situation for Gagne and he got absolutely no work. This is seeming to be a bad signing already. I'm scared.
They don't pitch like they do in the regular season. There is a schedule of who is pitcing for the day.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived