Brewer Fanatic

1901 Milwaukee Brewers

bthurley19
I was playing MLB 2k7 tonight and had the fact or fiction question come up and it asked if there was an MLB team named the Brewers in 1901? So I thought well that's a stupid question, of course not. Too my suprise it was fact. I'm sure many of you knew this already but I found it extremely interesting and thought I'd let those who didn't know in on this tidbit of information. On a side note are there any other teams that have been moved and become a different franchise and then been resurrected in the same city under the same name? I can think of only one, that being the Cleveland Browns. I'm sure there are others but I'm young. Here's the reference for the 1901 Brewers: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MLA/1901.shtml

On a side note are there any other teams that have been moved and become a different franchise and then been resurrected in the same city under the same name?

Washington Senators moved to Minnesota and became the Twins in 1961, and a new Washington Senators took their place. (Later to become the Texas Rangers.)

Padres and Angels were both PCL teams at one point which the MLB teams took their names from.

The Cubs used to be called the White Sox, so when the first St. Paul Saints were moved to Chicago in 1900, they took that name.

Just a few off the top of my head.

The 1901 team wasn't the only attempt at having a Milwaukee Brewers here before Selig's team was born.

According to a bio on Philadelphia A's great and HOFer Al Simmons:

"Born Aloys Szymanski (1902-1956) in a Polish section of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Simmons never wanted to be anything but a baseball player. In 1922, he signed his first professional contract with the Milwaukee Brewers of the American Association. When Al hit .398 for Milwaukee in a 24-game trial at the end of the 1923 campaign, the Brewers found themselves with a hot property on their hands and were able to sell him to the Philadelphia Athletics for around $50,000."

Al, by the way, is buried in St. Adalbert's Cemetery here in Milwaukee. Not a bad idea to drop by and pay respects, leave flowers. I have done so multiple times.

Link above has more info.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/222/simmonsal.jpg

-Rp

"On a side note are there any other teams that have been moved and become a different franchise and then been resurrected in the same city under the same name?"

The Baltimore Orioles had been a National League power in the 1890s (three consecutive championships from 1894-96). Then the name was resurrected for the minor league franchise throughout the first half of the 20th century before it became the name of the relocated St. Louis Browns, who of course had started as the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers.

And remember that Bill Veeck wanted to move the Browns back to Milwaukee. But the Boston Braves "owned" the rights to Wisconsin and had their own plans for the area.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

On a side note are there any other teams that have been moved and become a different franchise and then been resurrected in the same city under the same name?
The Baltimore Orioles were an original American League team in 1901. After the 1902 season they moved to New York and became the Highlanders. In 1913 they became the Yankees. Of course when the Browns moved to Baltimore after the '53 season they were renamed the Orioles.

It seems there's always been a Baltimore Orioles team. I believe there was an Orioles AAA team in the 20th century before the Browns moved in. And there was a Baltimore Orioles team in the American Association, considered a major league, in the 1880's. In the early 1890's they became part of the National League.

For most of my life the Orioles and Brewers have been my two favorite teams, while I despise the Yankees more than any other. So I think it's pretty spiffy how these cities are connected: the current Oriole franchise was the original Brewers and the current Yankees were the original AL Orioles.

Archived