Brewer Fanatic

What are the chances Joe Dillon breaks camp in the bigs?

BuckyBrewer61

What are the chances Joe Dillon breaks camp in the bigs? I just love this guy. I admit I haven't been analyzing any stats or anything, but he was productive off the bench at the end of last year and continues to impress in Spring Training this year. I know, I know, it's just Spring Training, but I can't help but want this guy with the Brewers. He always seems to give productive, professional at-bats, even in a pinch hitting role.

Assuming we break camp with 4 bench players...2 of those will go to Counsell and the backup catcher. That leaves 2 spots for, in my estimation, Gross, Gwynn, and Dillon. I don't know who you send down, but what do you all think is the likely outcome? And is there any chance Hart moves to CF during the 1st 25 games and Dillon gets a corner spot?

I think I just need justification/tempering for my developing man-crush...

(unambigufied thread title --1992)

I am not Shea Vucinich

I said it before, and I will say it again. Joe Dillon has the best hitting approach on this team. He better make the final roster. I actually thought he should have played ahead of Jenkins last year. We would have gone to the playoffs.

Gwynn isn't really a bench guy for the first 25 games, is he? I'm fairly sure that he is pencilled in as the regular for most of those games. Were you counting Kapler as the starter, or not taking that into account? I guess I would be surprised if Dillon wasn't on the team. His versatility is needed and his bat is decent.

Actually I wasn't thinking about that fact that we will have an open roster spot with Cameron's suspension for the 1st 25 games (right?). I guess I should say I hope Dillon is on the team once our complete roster, including Cameron, is playing. And, that said, any chance Dillon gets to start over Gwynn or Gross during Cameron's suspension?

I am not Shea Vucinich

My buddy and I got free tickets to the Padres game on Friday night from Joe Dillon's wife and we sat next to her and their 5 year old boy during the game. It was very interesting to hear their story about Joe making a comeback. His wife had nothing but great things to say about the Brewers and she is hoping he stays with them. She said she didn't like it when he played for the Marlins because the team didn't take care of him as well as the Brewers do. It's good to hear about that kind of stuff. Oh and their 5 year old child looks just like Joe and he started playing Tee Ball. What a great trip this has been.

I don't think it's likely that Dillon gets a start in CF, although a collection of circumstances could make it happen. I do think he will be the primary back up for both corner outfield slots, and may get some infield starts in the case that two infielders need a day off on the same day. I can't see him playing SS though. If Hardy and Counsell were both unavailble for just a short time, I'd guess Hall would slide over as needed and Dillon would play 3B.

Dillon has had an EXCELLENT week. He's seen a little more playing time since Braun has been out with his achilles issue. He has taken every opportunity. Thursday he hit a huge HR against the Dbacks and today he hit a double of the top of the wall, a triple and two singles. His stroke mechanically is REALLY nice and he has an excellent approach at the plate. I don't know about him defensively, but I would be okay with him hitting in the first 25 games of the year.

I think he's a no brainer to make the team. He helps the depth in the outfield and infield. At first I thought they might carry five outfielders until Cameron came back. Now I think the fifth outfielder is Dillon with Goss, Kapler and Gwynn fighting for one job.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My guess is that the final roster spot is coming down to Kapler & Gwynn. Just a total guess. Given that Gross has a spot on the 25-man, and that Kapler complements him by being a RH batter, I'd guess it's Tony that's down. It'd just make the most sense, as Gwynn can get everyday playing-time in Nashville. I'd worry if Dillon is in actual danger of not making the 25-man - he makes too much sense to not have with the big club imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My guess is if they keep 13 position players, he's on the team. If they keep 13 pitchers, he gets sent down.

I admit I've come around on Dillion and want him on the team. I think Munson and Counsell have spots nailed down. Gwynn will start in CF during Cameron's suspension (Cameron doesn't count on the roster during these 25 games). I think Kapler makes the team because Melvin loves him (to be fair, he is hitting .300/.371/.433). Then the final spot comes down to Dillion vs. Gross. Since I can't stand Gross, I hope Dillion makes it. He can play any corner position (3B, 1B, LF, RF) and is a better hitter. Gross is only hitting .214 this spring (with a .298 OBP), so, right now, I think Dillion makes it.

Then the final spot comes down to Dillion vs. Gross. Since I can't stand Gross, I hope Dillion makes it.

No offense, but Gross is a far superior player to Gwynn. There's no way Gross's 25-man spot isn't locked & loaded.

I'd be shocked if Dillon didn't make the club, they are going to go with 12 pitchers, and he is the most versatile, not to mention he is killing the ball in ST and played well least year, I can't think of any defense for sending him down, what else does he have to do?

8 starter position players, and one of them is not Cameron, to start the season.

Starter in CF - Gross

Other 5 - INF - Dillon, Counsel

OF - Gwynn, Kapler

C - Munsen

If only 4 are kept, say goodbye to Kapler or Nix or who ever they keep as an extra OF'er

Doug Melvin was on WSSP on St Patty's day at about 8pm or so. He made it sound as though Dillon was fighting for a spot on the roster with Nunez (who Doug said was a great defensive guy), Gwynn and Kapler, and maybe even a 13th pitcher.

I wish the radio guys would've pursued that more, because I can't see them carrying 2 backup defense-minded infielders.

Doug said, (and I'm paraphrasing), that "Dillon is a great guy with the bat, but not quite as strong as Nunez or the outfielders on defense. We may need him as a pinch hitter though."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I know it won't happen here, but i'm curious what kind of line Dillon would put up if he had pretty much an everyday role and got 500 at bats at third.

I wouldn't be surprised if he hit around .290-.300 with an OBP at .365 or higher, maybe 20 homers, and a good amount of doubles.

I agree Danzig. Really, all he has done for 2 years is rake. He was blocked in FLA and now is blocked in Milwaukee. If the guy were 28 instead of 32, people would be going crazy about him. Shame he missed so much time with his back injury.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm pretty sure that Dillon will make the 25 out of spring training if the Brewers don't carry 13 pitchers, but does the fact that he's a utility infielder make him a good bet to stay after Cameron's return?

After all, with only Counsell to cover the infield (unless Rottino is the backup catcher), the Brewers would be limited if anyone goes down during the middle of a game, or if they needed a pinch hitter for a position player.

I know it won't happen here, but i'm curious what kind of line Dillon would put up if he had pretty much an everyday role and got 500 at bats at third.

I wouldn't be surprised if he hit around .290-.300 with an OBP at .365 or higher, maybe 20 homers, and a good amount of doubles.

Fwiw, 2008 ZiPS had him at .280/.338/.449/.787 over 343 AB... 21 2B, 11 HR, 30 BB / 60 K

I don't have time to dig out the old thread(s), but I know we have PECOTA numbers posted on this forum, too.

The DRays are possibly interested in Gross. (Stole from bcb) http://mvn.com/mlb-rays/2008/03/17/kazmir-headed-for-dl-plus-possible-trade-candidates/

I know that DM has a man crush on Kapler, so perhaps a trade is in the works and my beloved Gabe Gross will be a Devil Ray, freeing up a spot for Kapler/Dillon.

Its just Rays, no more Devil. Brewerfan does not need anymore cease and desist letters...

As to the blog, its just throwing out 4th OFers

Archived