Brewer Fanatic

Off days for "everyday" players

I think it's good practice to rest players during the course of a season regardless of the off-days that each team gets. I know it does not make fans happy to see there favorite players out of the line-up, but 162 games is a long tiring season. So my question is, how much rest should each of our "everyday" players get. Here is what I think would be appropriate assuming no injuries.

Fielder: One day a month and DHing during interleague play

Weeks: One day a week

Hardy: One day a week

Hall: One day a week

Kendall: Every 3rd game

Braun: One day every month and Dhing one or two games during interleague

Cameron: One day a month (should be fresh after serving his suspension)

Hart: One day a month and Dhing one or two games during interleague

This is not hard and fast since you wil want to rest players when there is a bad matchup for them. Righty/lefty, etc. I was hoping we could come to some sort of aggreement before the seasons started that rest is important and the amount of rest each player gets since there is usually a lot of complaining about how the manager fills out the lineup card. What do you guys think?

I think Cameron should get more rest. He is getting older, and we have enough decent outfielders that we can spell him. I think one day a week is too often though, for any regular (non-catcher). Two days a month should be fine for most players. That would be 12 days off for the season, or 150 games, which is what many people use as a barometer for a full season.

you definitely can't rest them more than twice a month, and I think they would take exception to being sat once a week if they are everyday players. I'd be willing to bet that most of them never want to take a day off at all.

Time for a Miller wrote:

Weeks: One day a week

Hardy: One day a week

Hall: One day a week

Kendall: Every 3rd game

Cameron: One day a month (should be fresh after serving his suspension)

I think once a month for the outfielders and Fielder. Once every other week for the rest of the infielders and every day after night game for the catcher. More rest if a player is dinged up. Having Fielder DH sounds like a pretty good idea as well. I think he might be a better defender than Weeks, but he can have a direct effect on the other infielders since he is involved in almost every play on the infield.

Yeah I do agree that the complaing about players getting days off gets a little tiring, as does the complaints about different lineups, but that is the nature of message boards.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wouldn't rest Fielder more than once a month, replacing him with Dillon.

I would rest Cameron at least once a week when he comes back (he's 35 years old remember) and replace him with Gwynn.

I'd rest Braun and Hart every two weeks on alternating weeks. Not so much to rest them but to give Gross a once a week start.

I'd do the same with Hardy and Weeks (provided Weeks starts hitting). That would give Counsell one start a week.

I'd rest Hall about every 10 days or 3 times a month. That would end up giving Dillon 4 starts per month.

In AL parks, I'd platoon Dillon and Gross at DH.

I'd give the backup catcher a start every 4th or 5th day.

I would rest Cameron at least once a week when he comes back (he's 35 years old remember) and replace him with Gwynn.

Is that just hyperbole? Cam played 141 games in 2006 & 151 in 2007. There is simply no reason to rest him that much. He's a top-flight athlete, so the fact that he's 35 in this case is mere window-dressing.

Your suggestion would net, basically, less than 100 games when you factor in his suspension. The suspension alone is reason enough to not rest Mike like he walks with a cane. Imo Cam should get about 125 or so games this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

are you guys serious? There is no way that these guys need that much rest. Fielder and Braun should only be out of the lineup if they are hurt - if healthy they should both start 162 games. You really want to sit Braun down twice a month so Gabe Gross can get some at bats? I think that is ridiculous.

poor performance or injury is the only thing that should keep any of the regulars out of the lineup (with the exception of Kendall). Fielder, Weeks, Hall, Hardy, Braun , Cameron, and Hart are the core of this team and need to be out there everyday. This isnt little league where we need to get the subs a start once a week to keep their morale up...

My only complaint with the rests is to not rest the entire starting lineup at the same time. Thursday and Sunday game were sometimes infuriating.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'd rather see the players have "days off" rather than "off days." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'm with Robin19 about the Thursday and Sunday thing. It's convenient, and it's sound in several ways, but you end up with lineups that are too weak.

I think Al and JohnBriggs12 are pretty much on track with what they're suggesting. Every 10 days or twice a month for most starters sounds good to me. I wouldn't go so far as once a week for Cameron, though. Besides the fact that I don't think he requires that much rest, in comparison to the rest of the team, his season will be shorter overall.

Fielder and Braun should be rested on a very limited basis: just often enough to be proactive without them actually having to feel overly tired.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

While I think some people are going overboard on days of rest, no player on the team should play 162 games. It just isn't a smart move, every day guys like that always start to wear down earlier because of it.

my point is that there isnt a need to try to figure out days off. guys are going to get days off during the season for a variety of things; minor injuries, sickness, a rough stretch at the plate, discipline (ie Bill Hall getting tossed for showing up the ump), matchups (Yost loves this one), etc. I dont like the idea of sitting guys just "cause" or so that a sub can get a few at bats.

Seeing as how you guys have only 6 games in AL parks, it's going to be hard work in all that DH'ing

BTW - I think Fielder should rest for all the games against the Cubs. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

You'd like that, wouldn't you! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Fielder career v. Cubs (143 PA): .260/.357/.553/.910, 9 2B, 9 HR, .280 BABIP

Fielder career @ Wrigley (81 PA): .278/.358/.639/.997, 5 2B, 7 HR, .277 BABIP

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So before we get to the start of the season, does anybody besides BCF feel that we shouldn't rest healthy players? I heard a lot of complaints last season about all the rest we were giving players, in particlual the catchers. I also agree that maybe I gave to much rest to the middle infielders and I thought Yost did a good job last year. I still think Weeks needs a bit more rest then Hardy though. His bat waggle has got to be hard on his rigid wrists. He needs to rest and ice those things at least every ten days and hopefully about twice a week (counting scheduled off days of course.)

I think those Sunday and Thursday/Wednesday lineups look so bad because they are day after night games so the catcher sits and it is a good day to give an everyday player off as there is frequently a day off around those games(Sunday games more than Monday games). That way a player will get 2 days in a row off during the season. It makes your lineup look pretty weak because you have 2 guys off on the same day.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived