Brewer Fanatic

Lackey out at least a month - Angels a possibility?

Since John Lackey's on the shelf for an extended amount of time, and the Angels appear to have all kinds of extra outfielders/prospects, are they a potential trade partner for some of the Brewer starters? I know Reggie Willits and Chone Figgins have been mentioned in quite a few trade rumors - not sure why the Angels would do it, but Gwynn + Brewer starter (cappy, bush, or vargas) would make sense if they wanted to add a pitcher, send Gwynn to AAA, and clean up their OF logjam a bit. It would make great sense for the Brewers - I'd even be open to including an additional minor leaguer in a trade.

They'll be fine they had 6 descent SP when Spring training started. They just need to find a rookie or someone to fill in the #5 spot for a month. There is no reason to trade for a SP that you will only use for a month.

I think they want Adenhart and Ervin Santana to step in for them, . Not bad replacements at all. Plus they will only miss the first month or so. I think they might sign a Jeff Weaver type fa, but I think they'll be fine.

I think they want Adenhart and Ervin Santana to step in for them, . Not bad replacements at all. Plus they will only miss the first month or so. I think they might sign a Jeff Weaver type fa, but I think they'll be fine.

Adenhart's one of those prospects who could step in and never lose his job.

They'll be fine they had 6 descent SP when Spring training started. They just need to find a rookie or someone to fill in the #5 spot for a month. There is no reason to trade for a SP that you will only use for a month.

Generally teams with playoff aspirations want a bit more certainty than just hoping that someone will fill a role.

They could certainly look inward for a guy, but I'm guessing they'll explore options as has been rumored.

They are on the record as looking at internal options, and they have enough ammo in the system that it's more than just a negotiating posture. At one point, they had six starters with various levels of major league success, including Garland, Weaver, Saunders, and Santana behind Lackey and Escobar. So they're really looking to fill one hole, thought there's certainly questions about Santana at this point. Dustin Moseley made some starts last year and was projected as a reliever, but he's a decent option in the short term. Nick Adenhart and Nick Green are highly ranked prospects who did well in AA, so they're really on the brink anyway.

They are on the record as looking at internal options, and they have enough ammo in the system that it's more than just a negotiating posture. At one point, they had six starters with various levels of major league success, including Garland, Weaver, Saunders, and Santana behind Lackey and Escobar. So they're really looking to fill one hole, thought there's certainly questions about Santana at this point. Dustin Moseley made some starts last year and was projected as a reliever, but he's a decent option in the short term. Nick Adenhart and Nick Green are highly ranked prospects who did well in AA, so they're really on the brink anyway.

Yup

Why bring in a hired gun who wouldn't be in the rotation after May, especially when they have a few good prospects who could benefit from getting a few MLB starts and not cost them a few million. The Angels don't seem to ever make desperation trades and with that division this year I doubt they would start now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sports radio here in Chicago was supposing a Sean Marshall/Willits trade this morning.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived