Brewer Fanatic

Is Vargas showing improvement this spring?

Kpanz20

Claudio added a good changeup or vastly improved his existing one to his repertoire of pitches over the off season. He also seemed to be working a little bit faster and had decent command. Funny thing is the announcers said last night that he didn't pitch in the Dominican Republic this Winter like he normally does.

Those were just some of my overall impressions from watching him for the first time this year. I know he's not the sexy pick to make the rotation, but it certainly looks like he is bringing his A game. For what little impact these spring games may have on Ned's decision, he's certainly making the most of them.

Anyone else impressed by his outing?

I changed the thread title so it'd be Major League Forum material rather than In-Game Thread material. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Does anyone have a recap of what Claudio said in his interview last night? I was distracted, but he seemed to corroborate what Kpanz20 observed.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

If he continues to pitch well and Bush and Cappy struggle then Ned should "at least' start the season with him in the rotation. At the very worst they could build his trade value to get someone for a stretch run.

I would absolutey love to have Vargas in the rotation until Yovani comes back- and then make him one of the best long relievers in the Major Leagues. He could then be the go-to guy in case of an inury in the starting rotation.

If anyone in the bullpen would struggle in a setup role, I still believe Vargas could move a middle relief or even a setup role and be very good there- kinda like Villy last season.

Of course, this scenario would involve moving Bush or Capuano. But that might be the best option, because both could probably get better prospects than Vargas in a trade- and I like Vargas as a releiver and temporary starter much more than either of those two, just because of their tendencies and pitching styles. I think Bush and Cappy have value only as starters.

It seemed to me like Wolfe's strike zone was a little bigger than it normally is during the season. I think that once the season starts some of those strikes are going to turn into balls. Then he pitches from behind in the count and bad things happen.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I didn't watch the game to closley, yet(have it on TIVO), but it seemed like he nibbled to much last year. Of course I thought Suppan had the same problem, and Capuano, and Bush. I have no way to prove it, but it seemed like Vargas would get to 2 strikes and wouldn't challenge hitters. It was great when you needed to use the bathroom mid inning, but other than that it made for a very long painful to watch game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't recall him throwing such an effective changeup as I saw last night. It was really good.

This pitching situation is about as interesting as I've ever seen with just 2 weeks to go to the season. All 17 guys still on the active roster have legit major league credentials, and the 2 non roster guys have allowed 2 ER in 18 IP.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when the roster decision meetings take place.

Because Yost said he was going to be sending 2 major league caliber pitchers down to the minors, can we infer that Vargas is safe?

I guess it's possible he was thinking about Vargas' situation... but it didn't seem like he just said that spur of the moment. It seemed like it was something he has been dwelling on for some time... sending two pitchers to the minors, and he wasn't going to enjoy it.

He also seemed to be working a little bit faster
Thank...God. The only downside is that I won't be able to have my special Claudio Vargas "get all of my housework done" nights.

I've always wondered how he would look in a middle/long relief role. I don't have any stats to back this up, but my gut feeling says that he always seemed to look decent for 4 or 5 innings, then all hell would break loose. 'Course by that time it was 9:45 and I was getting ready for bed http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

...but my gut feeling says that he always seemed to look decent for 4 or 5 innings, then all hell would break loose.

Of course, by then Claudio would generally have about 1,500 pitches under his belt. A little more efficiency might help him go deeper.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As far as nibbling goes, I thought Bush could have done that a little more of it with his fastball last year. Too many meatballs from him imo.

I couldn't agree more with what you've said on this thread so far.

First of all, I've been an advocate of Vargas in the long relief role, or Villy's "swing role" all off-season. I think the fact that he could bring it at about 95/96 as a reliever, and has a pretty good slider makes me believe that he could be a nice reliever. However, if he did actually develop a change as last night suggests, and he can go after hitters a little bit better, he does have good enough stuff to be a very viable option for the starting rotation.

As for Dave Bush, he absolutely seems to get behind in a count and is so unwilling to walk a guy, he'll come down the middle and get killed. That's always been his problem IMO and the reason that his peripherals can be incredibly mis-leading. It's not just bad luck, if you throw the ball over the middle of the plate when you're behind in the count, it's going to get hit hard, and it's more likely going to fall for a hit. Some will argue that, saying it's all a matter of luck(that is balls in play have the same chance to be an out).

In any event, Vargas is certainly making the decision that much more difficult, but it's never bad for your pitchers to step up, even if it clogs and already crowded pitching situation.

When I first read this thread I was hopeful that he was pitching better. Less nibbling, pitching to contact. I have to say after Friday's game I am not convinced. 80 pitches to 18 batters. Almost 4.5 pitches to each hitter. If he gives up a couple more hits he is at 90 pitches after 5 innings. He went very deep into counts on many of the hitters. I think he is still nibbling. He just didn't give up any hits or walk anybody. I can't find pitch counts for any of his other games so I have only the one game to go on. Bottom line is, at least for this game, he still looks to be nibbling.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gopher, one area we disagree is I am a huge proponent of Villy in the starting rotation. I'm sure he could handle the bullpen utility role again just fine, but I think he'd be more valuable starting.

Speaking of adding new pitches. Apparently Bush started throwing a slider and changeup in the game yesterday. What the heck is going on with all these new changes and added pitches???

Turnbow's new grip on his fastball

Moto's more straight up delivery

Vargas' change

Bush adding a slide and change

Maddux growing a fu man chu

All hell is breaking loose.

Gopher, one area we disagree is I am a huge proponent of Villy in the starting rotation. I'm sure he could handle the bullpen utility role again just fine, but I think he'd be more valuable starting.

Speaking of adding new pitches. Apparently Bush started throwing a slider and changeup in the game yesterday. What the heck is going on with all these new changes and added pitches???

Turnbow's new grip on his fastball

Moto's more straight up delivery

Vargas' change

Bush adding a slide and change

Maddux growing a fu man chu

All hell is breaking loose.

You could add Sheets annual attempt to become a 3 pitch pitcher. The one thing missing is what has Cappy changed? It seems the competition has helped everybody improve so far but him.

I am rooting for him but I think he will start out in the minors and then Parra or Villy will join him when Yo gets back. They won't start the season with 3 youngsters in the rotation.

Vargas does indeed give up a lot of homers, but looking at last year, he was fairly in-line with the rest of the staff. Bush was actually the big loser in that department giving up 27.

2007 home run totals:

Bush: 27

Vargas: 23

Capuano: 20

Suppan: 18

Sheets: 17

You could add Sheets annual attempt to become a 3 pitch pitcher. The one thing missing is what has Cappy changed? It seems the competition has helped everybody improve so far but him.

I am rooting for him but I think he will start out in the minors and then Parra or Villy will join him when Yo gets back. They won't start the season with 3 youngsters in the rotation.

It does seem as though Sheets always tries to add a cut-fastball (last year) and/or a changeup. He's had a change for years, he just never feels real comfortable using it. I remember games where he used at maybe 5-8 times. I wanna see him face Jenkins this year so he has to throw a few changeups.

Good point about Cappy. I'd really like to see him develop a curve or a better slider. He's pretty much a 2-pitch pony. When he can locate his fastball somewhat, he gets away with it, because he has a really good changeup. Thats why Sheets gets away with 2 pitches, cause his curve is so good.

With the unbalanced schedule it is almost impossible to be a 2 pitch starter because the other teams in the division see you so often. Probably had something to do with the late season fade last year so anything our pitchers can do to expand their repetoire is appreciated.

Archived