Brewer Fanatic

Why Suppan?

Trowekamp

Anyone who thinks Suppan is an average #5 starter doesn't understand the depth of pitching in the major leagues. He has essentially been at least a league average starter since he became a regular at 24. League average means being a 2 or a 3 pitcher, not a 5. With the seasons that Bush, Capuano and Vargas put together last year, there is little reason to think that they project to be better than Suppan.

The Brewers are going to have a nasty fight on their hands this season trying to make it to the playoffs. They need to put their best team on the field, not trade away a superior player, especially when management feels they can afford this talent that we have now.

Anyone who thinks Suppan is an average #5 starter doesn't understand the depth of pitching in the major leagues. He has essentially been at least a league average starter since he became a regular at 24. League average means being a 2 or a 3 pitcher, not a 5. With the seasons that Bush, Capuano and Vargas put together last year, there is little reason to think that they project to be better than Suppan.

The Brewers are going to have a nasty fight on their hands this season trying to make it to the playoffs. They need to put their best team on the field, not trade away a superior player, especially when management feels they can afford this talent that we have now.

Except every system projects Capuano and Bush to be better than Suppan

Suppan FIP 4.57-4.76

Bush FIP 4.25-4.44

Capuano FIP 4.09-4.58

it's not the innings with Dusty's style, it's the pitch counts...i'm fine with yo going 200 innings this year, but if he averages 105 pitches a start, he'll be in trouble..
The only way I see that happening is if we have a starting pitching breakdown like last year, and then only if Gallardo is around 90 pitches after 5-6 innings with us needing to stretch 7-8 innings out of him to save our pen.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There are plenty of teams that would be willing to take a guy for 12.5 a year

I don't know if i'd just assume that plenty of teams would be willing to take on Suppan's contract after this season. If he has a 190-200 inning year with an ERA somewhere between 4.50-4.75, he might be harder to move than you think with a 12.5 million per year salary. If his ERA ends up closer to four than five, then i'm sure he'd be fairly easy to move, but that's only if we'd want to move him.

Soup pitched just about half of his innings last year against divisional opponents and in those games he was 8-3 with a 3.75 ERA. Including a 2.83 ERA against the Cubs. (Vargas, Bush and Villanueva combined for 5.85 ERA against them last year) Lifetime Soup has a 3.15 ERA in 100 innings pitched against the Cubs. I believe a playoff run starts will divisional wins. This is a workhorse veteran I am more than happy to have on my team for a playoff run.

Every team neeeds a guy like Soup. He takes the ball every fifth day and gives the rotation innings stability. Every once in awhile he pitches a gem, and he's uncannily good in the "big" game. The contract is big but it's obviously market value right now.

Lets get rid of Suppan becaues he is not the shiney toy that most fans want. There is no way to know how Brittle Ben will hold up and if Yo, Parra and Villy can handle the extra work load if you move Suppan. Villy has yet to prove anything but that he is a solid middle reliever, what happens once the league starts seeing more of his stuff and he has to go through the lineup a couple of times. Parra has had arm issues and there is no need to press him. Yo looks to be the real deal but his knee injury shows just how careful you have to be with starters.

Gil Meche got 55 Million dollars over 5 years.

Ted Lilly got 40 Million over 4 years.

Jason Marquis got 21 over 3 years.

None of those three had been as good in regards to what the Brewers were looking for at the time, so 4 years and 42 million dollars really isn't overpaying for him.

I'm not quite sure I understand that comment. If you had signed Lilly and we signed Suppan, you guys would have won the division. Lilly was in fact the reason why we won. All Suppan had done prior to last year was had a good run in the playoffs for the Cardinals.

If Lilly played on the Brewers last year he would have had a 4.50 ERA. The Cubs were one of the better defensive teams in the NL, the Brewers one of the worst. That had more to do with the pitcher's ERA than anything else.

Lilly also came at a discount because he had never made it a full 200+ inning season in his career. Suppan came with more or less no injury risk.

Archived