Brewer Fanatic

Dillon or Kapler?

LUKE232323

Who gets the last bench spot? Dillon did well for us last year, Gapler has played well on both sides in spring training (Dillon has hit well as well). My gut says they go with Dillon since he proved something on the ML level last year, but wouldn't be upset either way.

I think Gross, Gwynn, Munson, Counsell are the other four guys on the bench.

I can't see the team carrying 3 backup outfielders.

So, I think the real battle is between Gwynn and Kapler.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Both could make it for the first 25 games, if they drop the silly notion of 13 pitchers.

It may come down to whether they want to play Hart in center at all in April. It seems like they want to keep him in right, which would limit Dillion's opportunities.

I'm guessing they keep Kapler and a 13th pitcher, until Cameron comes back.

My guess would be an opening day roster with both guys and 12 pitchers. I had originally thought that Kapler, Gross, and Gwynn would start the season in Milwaukee, with Gwynn optioned to AAA or Kapler dumped when Cameron comes back, but they may like what they see of those two. I think Dillon fits as a backup to Prince as well as general reserve IF/OF/PH. I doubt they'd go with only one infield reserve, and I don't see Nunez as a real alternative.

But I wonder what they'll do with the arms...there are three off days and 12 games in the first three weeks, so they could go with four starters and an eight-man pen (maybe including two of the extra starters) for the first half of April. There are then 13 straight games, though, after which Cameron returns. I could see them sending the fifth starter to AAA so he stays in a regular rotation turn, then activating him for Saturday April 19 vs. the Reds...with the off days the first four guys would pitch with full rest before that point so they wouldn't need a fifth starter until that game. That would work best if the fifth guy was Parra or Villanueva who have options, or maybe if it's Gallardo. I don't know if the timetable would work with making Gallardo the guy they activate on April 19, with a couple of minor league starts before that, but it might.

They need all 5 starters for the beginning of the season. They'd have to pitch at least one guy on 3 days rest if they only used 4 starters.

They have 2 options:

1. Keeping Sheets on the every 5th day schedule, which in turn makes it so you only need your fifth starter a few times (but you still need him).

2. and less likely... They stick with the order in the 5 man rotation giving everyone an equal amount of starts, which would give Sheets a few less starts than would the first scenario.

Barring a trade I don't see how they could start the year with 12 pitchers. They are gonna have to cut someone they don't want to if they can't find a trade.

Like this...

1. Ben Sheets
  2. Jeff Suppan
  3. Carlos Villanueva
  4. Chris Capuano
  5. Dave Bush
  6. Eric Gagne
  7. Derrick Turnbow
  8. David Riske
  9. Salomon Torres
  10. Brian Shouse
  11. Guillermo Mota
  12. Claudio Vargas
This may be getting slightly offtopic, but Gallardo will be on the DL, so it'll be a lot easier to keep 12. The 3 possibilities of making the 13th spot would be Stetter, McClung, and Parra. Parra and Stetter can go to the minors. The only guy they'd risk losing is McClung. Unless Parra wins a spot, they don't really have to make any tough decisions if they keep 13 arms.

Yeah, I'm not being clear there. I'm looking at keeping 12 pitchers to start with, with a guy or two in a swing role early. So maybe Bush or Vargas gets a couple of starts but is eventually ticketed for the pen when Gallardo returns, and the OD pen is Gagne, Turnbow, Riske, Mota, Torres, Shouse, plus two of the extra starters, one of whom will start a few times in April but then move to the pen full time when Gallardo is activated.

3/31 @ Cubs (#1 starter)

Off day

4/2 @ Cubs (#2)

4/3 @ Cubs (#3)

4/4 vs. SF (#4)

4/5 vs. SF (#1, four days rest)

4/6 vs. SF (#5, or #2 with three days rest)

4/7 off

then comes five straight games, so you need a fifth guy for sure in there, presumably 2-3-4-1-5 on five days' rest though

4/14 off

then 13-game stretch before 4/28 off day, followed by Cubs series and Cameron return

If they keep a guy like Bush in the pen, and get some longer outings from the starters, maybe they can avoid a 13-man staff?

I just got back from Arizona and I went to three brewer games. If I had to pick one player who impressed me most it was definitely Gabe Kapler. Very quick, great defense, and a good bat. Others that impressed me were Manny Parra, Carlos Villanueva, and Jason Kendall. One other thing of note was that Corey Hart and Ryan Braun are the nicest players you could ever hope to have on your team. They signed everything they could and talked to the fans. You could tell it hurt them to have to walk by a kid looking for an autograph. On the other side of that was Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, and Bill Hall. Hall would walk out of his way to avoid fans. But back to our topic, Gabe Kapler is my pick with out a doubt.

swb, they build in that day off in case of bad weather. It's fairer to the home fans if the game has to be rescheduled.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived