Brewer Fanatic

Real GM previews the Crew

Foofty

I would take this article with a big time grain of salt. They had an article grading the Cameron signing and they didn't like all the defensive changes because Hall wouldn't be any better than Braun at 3B. Yes, they seriously wrote that.

Edit here it is.

With Cameron in center, it is expected Manager Ned Yost will move Hall to third base and then move third baseman Ryan Braun to left field. This is a bad idea because Hall won't be noticeably better than Braun, and by moving Braun to the outfield the defense will weaken because of his lack of range. Additionally, this move could mess with his swing.
LINK

If he hits 35 HRs I don't care if he has a career year in strikeouts. Strikeouts aren't bad as long as they are increasing BB(working the count) and SLG(doubles and HR) at the same time.

Pretty fair article overall.

I would take this article with a big time grain of salt. They had an article grading the Cameron signing and they didn't like all the defensive changes because Hall wouldn't be any better than Braun at 3B. Yes, they seriously wrote that.

Edit here it is.

With Cameron in center, it is expected Manager Ned Yost will move Hall to third base and then move third baseman Ryan Braun to left field. This is a bad idea because Hall won't be noticeably better than Braun, and by moving Braun to the outfield the defense will weaken because of his lack of range. Additionally, this move could mess with his swing.
LINK

In fairness, it isn't the same person who wrote both articles. The above paragraph about the Cameron signing is indeed terrible. Reina's analysis of the Brewers is pretty solid.

In fairness, it isn't the same person who wrote both articles. The above paragraph about the Cameron signing is indeed terrible. Reina's analysis of the Brewers is pretty solid.

I agree but usually their articles leave a lot to be desired.

What I don't get is comparing Fielder to Howard. Fielder is now better than Howard, and should widen the gap.

I don't know about that. Fielder has to do it another year to prove he is actually better than Howard. I think he probably is but an outside source needs more proof and I have no problem with that at all.

What I don't get is comparing Fielder to Howard. Fielder is now better than Howard, and should widen the gap.

I also think Fielder will be the better player, but it has more to do with his age than with his performance thus far. He definitely needs to show he can keep up his high level of play for a couple more seasons and even improve it a little to be where Howard's at.

Ryan Howard

Year Age AB HR

2005 25 312 22 .288/.356/.567
2006 26 581 58 .313/.425/.659
2007 27 529 47 .268/.392/.584

CAREER 1461 129 .291/.397/.610

Prince Fielder

Year Age AB HR

2006 22 569 28 .271/.347/.483
2007 23 573 50 .288/.395/.618

CAREER 1201 80 .280/.369/.546

FIC?

FIC Formula For Position Players

(Runs

+ Singles

+ 1.5 Doubles

+ 2 Triples

+ 3 Homeruns

+ .85 RBIs

+ Walks

+ SB

+ HBP

+ .5 Sac Fly

+ .5 Sac Bunt

- Strikeout

- Caught Stealing

- GIDP

- Error

- .3 At Bats)

Um, okay. Its an unscientific, arbitrary version of linear weights.

brewerfan, when you figure in the park factors (PHL top hitters park), and strikeouts, I really think the only discussion is if you think 2007 was a fluke for prince.

also why compare prince to howard? other than being big black guys that play 1B and hit lots of HR, they aren't that similar.

Archived