Brewer Fanatic

Build your Brewers Pitching Staff...

twobrewers
I see Bush and Suppan being pretty equal as far as innings goes, but Bush is younger with more upside. Bush had the same number of 7+ inning starts as Suppan, but with fewer starts. A larger percentage in other words. That is why I had Bush over Suppan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

6. Torres (No Juice)

What are you referring to here? I'm not aware of Torres ever being linked to PEDs, if that's what you mean.

And I understand your point about Capuano- but I'm not sure if "head case" is the right way to describe it. Some better ways to say it might be "lost it", "unlucky", or "cursed".

Yes you are right.. I meant to put Mota (No Juice) and Torres (Age).. my 3 year old was talking as I was typing. For Capuano I put head case because to me he always seemed mentally tough and just lost it with big innings last year.

Sheets

Gallardo--on DL

Suppan

Bush

Vargas--goes to pen when Yo comes back

Parra

Villanueva

Gagne

Riske

Mota

Torres

Turnbow

Shouse

Capuano either is traded, optioned, or my uncle Vito visits him with a tire iron--DL for the foreseeable future. Let's just keep two guys--the worst two, it is hoped--on the DL at any given time. If Vargas or Villanueva have to go into the rotation full-time due to injury or crappiness, there are several relievers that can take their slot. Vargas and Villy, as relievers, would only go into a game when they were expected to go 2 or more innings.

(fixed code: this message seems to have run into the spacing bug that occurs when you edit a post that was initially created in the Quick Reply editor --1992)

Let's see, I'll begin with what I think our best rotation/bullpen would be, and then conclude with what I think it'll be come opening day.

1: Sheets

2: Gallardo

3: Villenueva

4: Suppan

5: Parra

CL: Gagne

SU: Riske

MR: Turnbow

MR: Torres

MR: Mota

Left: Shouse

LR: Bush

What will actually happen (on opening day):

1: Sheets

2: Suppan

3: Capuano

4: Bush

5: Villanueva

Left: Shouse

LR: Vargas

AAA: Parra

DL: Gallardo (when Gallardo returns, Villanueva to AAA)

A lot of people were pretty upset about the acquisition of Mota for Estrada. (Most perfering to just outright dump Estrada)

But I think I only saw one post that didn't include Mota in our pen. I wonder how many people have just come around on Mota needing a change of scenery - or whether it has been his success this spring.

I am guessing it has more to do with not knowing anything about the other guys like Pena more than coming around to Mota. Or maybe thinking that Mota has been a pretty good profesional and maybe last year was just a down year for him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Rotation:

Ben Sheets

Jeff Suppan

Carlos Villanueva

Claudio Vargas

Manny Parra

Bullpen:

Eric Gagne

Derrick Turnbow

David Riske

Solomon Torres

Brian Shouse

Guillermo Mota

Dave Bush or Chris Capuano (one moved via trade)

Yovanni Gallardo takes the place of Villanueva or Parra if one gets out of the blocks slowly, or Vargas gets DFAd.

I think it is obvious to everyone in Wisconsin that Yost wants Capuano and Bush to win two of the starting spots, and I don't blame him. They're veterans. Manny Parra would have to be absoultely lights-out phenomenal to win a spot. Near perfect. Well, 0.64 through 14 innings speaks volumes. If this continues, there is no way they can justify leaving him out, is there? If the Crew is "win-now" mode, aren't they obligated to go north with the players most likely to do so, regardless of contract or past performance?

For Capuano I put head case because to me he always seemed mentally tough and just lost it with big innings last year.
A mentally tough head case? My head is spinning just trying to think about that.

But I think I only saw one post that didn't include Mota in our pen.
I made him a runner-up because I'm a fan of having former/displaced/future starters in the pen. When I did the list, Bush and Capuano were Guillermo's main competitors. We could have used another starter-type or two last year when the starters weren't going deep enough into games.

The fact that I bothered to include runners-up, though, is a testament to the fact that the available depth is good.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

For Capuano I put head case because to me he always seemed mentally tough and just lost it with big innings last year.
A mentally tough head case? My head is spinning just trying to think about that.

Yes... that is why I have been so shocked by what has happened to him over the year and a half... with Turnbow you can see it coming but I thought Cappy was the second coming of Tom Glavine and then he has just fallen apart.

Capuano hasn't been bad for a year in a half... He was bad every other month in 2006 and then from Mid May(the groin injury) on last year. Sorry but it is a pet peave to misuse splits the way people are to try to say he has struggled for a year and a half now.

From all star break in 2006 through the groin injury in 2007 he pitched exactly the way you would expect Capuano to pitch, no difference at all. His struggles begain after the DL stint last year.

Capuano hasn't been bad for a year in a half... He was bad every other month in 2006 and then from Mid May(the groin injury) on last year. Sorry but it is a pet peave to misuse splits the way people are to try to say he has struggled for a year and a half now.

From all star break in 2006 through the groin injury in 2007 he pitched exactly the way you would expect Capuano to pitch, no difference at all. His struggles begain after the DL stint last year.

Yes.. as an applied math major I understand you can use stats to show anything.. my point is that 2005 through mid 2006 Cappy versus mid 2006 through 2007/Spring Training Cappy has been two different pitchers when watching them. I think the best thing is send him to AAA and let him regain the confidence and them come back up in May / June / July when the inevitable injuries hit.

We need one lefty in the rotation. I love Cappy, but he's done. Noticed last year that his fastball was 89, topping at 91, which is 2 mph lower than peak form. Combined with an inability to consistently spot his pitches, and he is dangerously close to being a meatballer. In contrast, I watched Parra throw 92 topping at 95 with excellent control. Despite Parra's injury history, there is no comparison; Parra is our lefty starter.

We need one lefty in the rotation. I love Cappy, but he's done. Noticed last year that his fastball was 89, topping at 91, which is 2 mph lower than peak form.
When has Cappy ever thrown harder than 91? Hell, when has he ever thrown harder than 90?

* OPENING DAY - W/O A TRADE

Starters:

1. Sheets

2. Suppan

3. Villy

4. Vargas

5. Cappy

Relievers:

LS: Shouse

DL: Gallardo

AAA: Stetter

AAA: McClung

When Gallardo is healthy he comes in and Cappy/Vargas goes out.

If one of Cappy, Vargas, Bush is traded, then I could see Parra starting out the year in the bullpen in a long releif roll. But even then when Yo comes back someone else would still have to go.

Speaking of which.... anyone have a estimate as to when Neddly will announce the plans? I'm sure he most likely has his mind pretty much made up, but will wait till he has to, to say anything.

Sheets

Suppan

Gallardo*

Villanueva

Parra

Bush

Capuano or Vargas in the pen, other one traded.

I don't think Bush would make a good RP so he needs to be in rotation. Personally I want Parra in the majors from day 1 and find a way to limit the innings, but I know it probably won't happen. At the very least I hope he fills in for Gallardo until he comes back.

Starters on opening day:

Sheets

Suppan

Villanueva

Parra

Bush

Relievers on opening day:

McClung

Capuano

Torres

Turnbow

Shouse

Riske

Gagne

DL: Gallardo

Where are Vargas and Mota?

Hopefully they are traded. But since teams are well aware the Brewers have to make deals, I expect very, very little in return. So if I couldn't trade them, I'd waive them because I think both have thrown the ball well enough that they stand a good chance of being claimed, saving the Brewers nearly $7 million.

Once Gallardo is ready, then you try to sneak McClung through waivers (it's a little easier to do that in mid April than it is before teams have their rosters set) and send him down. Then move Bush to pen.

I might consider keeping Choate and waiving/trading Shouse or instead of waiving/trading Mota, do the same for Turnbow.

I essentially 'second' Littledoc:

Starters:

1. Sheets

2. Gallardo (Cappy)

3. Suppan

4. Villanueva

5. Vargas

Relievers:

LS: Shouse

AAA: Stetter

AAA: McClung

I think Riske gets the 8th over Turnbow.

I think Vargas locked up the #5 spot.

I think this buys time to decide what to do with Cappy/Bush while Yoga is out.

I think Parra comes up when the inevitable happens, a.k.a. Sheets goes down (then turns into a Vargas/Parra battle when Sheets comes back).

I think Stetter/McClung will see 'some' time at the big league level this year; meaning someone else will be called up and see 'considerable' time -- (Pena?) with Mota being the question mark in the BP.

I know I will be baffled if Villy starts at AAA. I guess I will also be baffled if Vargas isn't in the rotation.

Barring any trades, what I think will happen.

Starters on opening day:

Sheets

Suppan

Bush

Vargas

Villaneuva

Relievers on opening day:

LR: McClung

SL: Shouse

SU: Turnbow

Gallardo to DL. Parra, Stetter, Choate to AAA. Capuano to AAA, if they can, otherwise Ned goes with 13 pitchers.

In order of quality

Starters: Yo, Parra, Sheets, Villanueva, Suppan

Relief: Turnbow, Torres, Riske, Bush, Gagne, Vargas, Shouse, Capuano,

Cut: Mota, McClung

Minors: Stetter

Wouldn't mind seeing Cappy go away by any means possible

Archived