Brewer Fanatic

Bud Selig is getting paid

sweepscc
big time. I was surprised for some reason. Not a huge fan of Selig as he seems to go off on power trips and his grandiose style makes me think he believes he's more important than he is. To be fair though some CEO's pull in 9 figure pension plans(although some of those fellas were c.o.r.r.u.p.t.) Link(cubicle: some over the top language & "racy" ad): http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=5243

You can tell how quality that blog is by the caliber of their commenters: "This doesn't include what he's still getting from his under the table share with the Brewers."

Uh...

As for the guy's argument about Selig, he didn't touch on the many reasons why Selig is so highly paid and did an awful job going into legitimate beefs about him. Blech.

Community Moderator

Baseball's grown by $5 billion under his watch and he's gotten maybe $50 million total out of it for himself. That's only 1%.

I may not always agree with Bud's decisions, but his #1 priority has always been the good of the game--or at least he does a good job making it look that way.

You can tell how quality that blog is by the caliber of their commenters: "This doesn't include what he's still getting from his under the table share with the Brewers."

Uh...

As for the guy's argument about Selig, he didn't touch on the many reasons why Selig is so highly paid and did an awful job going into legitimate beefs about him. Blech.

I guess "quality" is a subjective notion, but the guy does get paid to blog about sports for a living and is a contributor to Deadspin and Kissing Suzy Kolber.

And it's fairly obvious that the comment about secret payments from the Brewers was made in jest.

Actually, it wasn't "fairly obvious" at all...most of the other comments were clearly jokes, this didn't sell at all. Either the commenter is an idiot or an awful amateur comedian (although I'd venture to guess he's likely both)>

And I'll agree that quality is objective but if this is the level of his insight and writing skill, regardless of how much he makes and what blogs he contributes to I've gotta say I'm not too impressed.

JD Drew and Mike Hampton make about the same as Selig

I think Bud just might have a little more impact on the game than Drew or Mike Hampton does

I don't know that I'd go throwing JD Drew in there JUST yet, but point very well taken. Bud Selig's done a lot of great things for this game and this franchise, and he's a punch line. It's pretty sickening to hear Brewer fans complain about him. That greats pretty annoying. Wendy Selig-Prieb? Absolutely. She ruined this franchise for a stretch, but Bud was a better owner than anyone will give him credit for.

People are complaining that Bud is getting paid $15M? Can't you say that Bud is like the CEO of Major League Baseball? According to CBSSportsline there were 11 players that made $15M or more. How many people work at a company in which the CEO isn't one of the top 10 paid employees?

The only thing I blame on Bud is the 2002 All-Star Sham. He should have told the coaches that they had to battle it out to the end. If they didn't want to play anymore they should have taken the ego hit and grooved a pitch or two.

However, my comments for Wendy are not appropriate for this board.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The only thing I blame on Bud is the 2002 All-Star Sham. He should have told the coaches that they had to battle it out to the end. If they didn't want to play anymore they should have taken the ego hit and grooved a pitch or two.

Sorry, but every time this gets brought up, I have to give my 2 cents. Good grief, it wasn't a "sham". I was at the game, I enjoyed every minute of it and left thoroughly pleased and satisfied that I got what I paid for. It's was an exhibition game!!! Who cares about the winner or loser? Do you know who won the 1968 all-star game? How about 1973? 85? 94? Probably not. Most people don't. Know why? Because it doesn't matter!!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Those All-Star games were not in Milwaukee. Nor did I have to pay MLB $550 per seat to watch those games. And if it's an "exhibition game" why did they print only the word "game" on my ticket?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

However, my comments for Wendy are not appropriate for this board.

What else would you have had him do? Have them force pitchers to stay out on the mound and blow his elbow out? I mean, anyone there was an all-star(which...I suppose is rather obvious), so if they got hurt, it'd obviously hurt their team very badly. And you can't throw a regular out there less he have a Jose Canseco incident and also blow out an elbow.

Bottom line, he had to do what was in the best interest of the game, not the fans at the game, who did stll get a pretty dang good product.

As for Wendy, I think I could earn three strikes just talking about her, so good call leaving that one for another day.

Archived