Brewer Fanatic

Fantasy Baseball Sleepers--Off topic maybe?

mikerollins

Feel free to move this wherever you see it as appropriate. It does involve major league players and could be a good discussion.

I was wondering who everyone's TOP 5 players that could "blow up" this year that nobody knows about.

What players around the major leagues could step up this year and do what Ryan Braun did last year? Or Yovanni Gallardo?

I'm getting ready for my Fantasy Baseball Draft and would love to pick up a few young sleepers in the late rounds, and who better for advice than the brewerfan.net nation.

Thanks in advance!!!!

You can get both James Loney and Matt Kemp later in your drafts and they will both be studs

If you are looking for someone like Braun who didn't start the year on the roster then got called up I would say Balentin with Seattle and Carlos gonzalez with the A's are your men. If they get at bat they will be ROY contenders IMO

you gotta look past just drafting a ton of super young guys...

im not gonna help you much here because i'm drafting with guys from this site in the next week, but i highly recomend not going to overboard on the young dudes...just because it rarely works out...especially with pitchers...

francouer is probably a good bet since he'll probably be in a premuium lineup position and may continue to improve his batting average...

Adam Jones and Delmon Young. Although pogo might disagree. I would avoid young pitchers though. I would target guys who have underachieved due to injury but you expect them to bounce back. Ben Sheets would be a good one. Pedro Martinez as well. Jack Cust perhaps.

Jeff Francoer will break out this year.

Jeremy Hermida is a nice mid round pick, batting in the middle of an ok order.

Shane Victorino is a big time sleeper, 15 HR, 40 SB upside that can be had in the 8th or 9th round.

Wandy Rodriguez could break out this year, all of his stats are headed the right direction. He can be had in the last round of most drafts. Even if he doesn't break out he dominates at home so you can baby him some and get some decent stats out of him.

no, i like delmon young...

but i also like frank thomas because everyone forgets he exists...and he'll hit 25 bombs this year if healthy...

I havent forgotten he exists, I just thought he was existing in a nursing home about now.

Problem with Frank Thomas is he won't score a lot of runs, he doesn't steal and I'm not confident in him putting up a good AVG. That just leaves HR/RBI which aren't all that valuable by themself. It is extremely hard for a player like that to be valuable, he almost has to hit 30 HR/100 RBI to be worth even a 9th or 10th round pick because he is hurting you in 3 stats.

Francoeur for sure, even though I never really considered him a sleeper because he produces, albeit under the radar. I believe Kemp and Kouzmanoff will have solid years as well. Some guys to take a chance on in the late rounds would Adam Jones, Brian Bannister, Shaun Marcum, and Josh Fields. And I've found it somewhat surprising but Buerhle has gone undrafted in a couple of leagues even though he's an ace. He puts up a solid ERA and WHIP and should get 12-15 wins. He just won't strike too many guys out but he's generally dependable for 3 categories. Another guy I like is Yunel Escobar. He won't put up big HR or RBI numbers but he hits for a solid average and will get some runs.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guys turning 27 or pitchers entering their third year of starting.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived