Brewer Fanatic

Bush vs. Capuano for 2008

brewjihad

I think we can assume that either Dave Bush or Chris Capuano will be making about 30 starts for the Brewers this year. The question is, if you could only choose one of them, which one would you rather have? You can factor in trade value, money, or whatever you'd like.

I'd prefer Capuano. I think the Brewers can afford to take the risk that he rebounds and has a nice year because of their depth. I believe his numbers will improve plenty and he'll be one of the best #5 starters in the game.

Bush probably has more trade value at this point, as well.

If that is the case, get him out of the starting rotation. I am not a cappy backer, but i would love for him to turn it around again. We do have a lot of depth, but it not that high quality or high ceiling. I'd say Cappy has the highest ceiling (for this season) of any of our starters past Sheets and Gallardo.

True, numbers don't mean everything, but the rumors out of ST are that Cappy has not looked great as far as velocity is concerned.

Where did this rumor come from and why is it a rumor anyway? Are pitch velocities in spring training a guarded secret?

I don't think pitch velocities are a secret, but they're certainly not conveniently available when message-boarders need them.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Spring training is one of those areas where MLB still acts like its 1966 and basically acts like Arizona and Florida are some remote locations without that new fangled long distance telephone. I can't believe they don't have full umpiring crews.

I think Capuano is going to bring the most to the Brewers in a trade. If he gets traded it'll help justify adding Parra to the rotation. Villy has been pitching well, but I bet Ned will feel better with Bush in the rotation and Villy in the pen.

With Gallardo on the DL, here's my prediction for Opening Day rotation:

Sheets

Suppan

Parra

Bush

Villanueva

Vargas in the pen, Cappy traded.

There was a rumor that the Red Sox were interested in Capuano that Melvin publically denied. Capuano is gone by the end of the week!

What? You don't trust every word Doug says?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Well, everything I've read so far has said both Capuano and Bush have looked at least shaky thus far, but that Capuano has really been struggling. It might not be a bad idea just to trade him at this point for a couple prospects or something, if a trade can actually be had.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

1992casey[/b]]I don't think pitch velocities are a secret, but they're certainly not conveniently available when message-boarders need them.
Here I was thinking that MLB teams catered to message-boarders needs. They need to get on the ball and get the information we need.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Back on topic, I think both make the rotation.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am definitely rooting for Bush over Cappy for the little reasons. Bush seems to turn in a 8ip 0 ER every 5-6 starts. He also can hit. Plus he has one 12 games each of the last two years. We didn't get 1 win out of Cappy after the first quarter of the season.

There was a rumor that the Red Sox were interested in Capuano that Melvin publically denied. Capuano is gone by the end of the week!

All Doug said was that he hadn't talked to the Red Sox. He didn't say whether Gord Ash had talked to the Red Sox or not.

Of the three, I like Bush's peripherals and stuff the best. He's been durable and I just figure he's going to break out one of these years.

Robert

All Bush needs for a breakout is to be able to pitch with runners on base. I have no idea why he struggles so much with it and it probably isn't fixable but his stats themselves suggest a decent pitcher if he can pull it off.

Capuano really needs another pitch, he just really struggles the 3rd time through the lineup.

Vargas is actually the highest upside of the three in my opinion but he goes into nibble mode and ends up walking too many guys. When Vargas is aggressive he pitches pretty well.

Probably gonna curse him by saying this but sounds like Capuano is doing ok today. Hard to tell when you cannot watch the game but they aren't just pounding him at least.

All Bush needs for a breakout is to be able to pitch with runners on base. I have no idea why he struggles so much with it and it probably isn't fixable but his stats themselves suggest a decent pitcher if he can pull it off.
So that suggests he can't pitch from the stretch? Consideringhe was a closer in college you wouldn't think this would be such a big problem.

The average pitcher last year in the NL had an OPS against of .743 with the bases empty and a .780 with runners on.

For his career Bush is at .719 with bases empty and .820 with runners on. Right there is the basic cause of his troubles.

The other problem is the 1st inning of course, he has a career OPS against of .878 in the first inning and .804 in the second inning. If he somehow makes it through that ok he is stronger than average in the 3rd-8th innings.

Those two combined are why I'm not sure I like the idea of using him as a RP, seems like he really needs to start or be traded. Of course pitchers approach coming out of the bullpen differently than starting so maybe it wouldn't be a big deal, that is a tough call.

Archived