Brewer Fanatic

Tony Gwynn: good chance to be opening day starter

Looks like Tony is the front runner to start opening day according to todays Journal.

"Anthony Gwynn's got a hell of a chance of starting on opening day," said Yost, referring to the fact that centerfielder Mike Cameron has to serve a 25-game suspension at the start of the season." - Ned Yost

(unambigufied thread title --1992)

(added tags --1992)

Did Gabe Gross kill Ned Yost's cat or something? And would Yost seriously start Gwynn against lefty Ted Lilly if the Cubs really are bumping Zambrano from his Opening Day start? I don't see what's wrong with going Braun-Hart-Dillon in the OF on Opening Day if Lilly is starting.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't believe the Cubs are bumping Zambrano from the opening day start. The way I understood it is they were bumping his spring training start so he wouldn't face the Brewers before opening day.

Edit: Doesn't really matter who's pitching though. No reason to have to worst offensive non-catcher on the team starting.

Ned's stathead told him that over the course of the season, Tony would save 160-190 runs on defense.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

He said it to defend the "rule" that 4 legit players appear in ST games. The quote by itself is taken out of context.

From the JSOnline-

Yost wanted to give all of his regulars the day off against the Cubs after playing them in front of the team's investors Friday and Saturday and having split-squad games Sunday. But he started first baseman Prince Fielder, rightfielder Corey Hart and second baseman Rickie Weeks, with the fourth "regular" being Tony Gwynn Jr.

"Anthony Gwynn's got a hell of a chance of starting on opening day," said Yost, referring to the fact that centerfielder Mike Cameron has to serve a 25-game suspension at the start of the season.

I still can't think of a single thing that Gwynn brings to the table other than a little speed. Hate to say this because he seems like a good guy but would he really be getting this chance if his dad wasn't who he was?

I still can't think of a single thing that Gwynn brings to the table other than a little speed. Hate to say this because he seems like a good guy but would he really be getting this chance if his dad wasn't who he was?

I'd rather it wasn't Gwynn, but i do think he's clearly the best defensive CF when Cameron isn't playing, so i don't agree that he offers nothing.

If say Ned was choosing between Gross/Gwynn in CF against righthanders, i think Gwynn would clearly be the better defensive player and Gross clearly the better hitter. My guess is Gross overall would be a slight advantage, but not all that much unless Gwynn was brutal at the plate.

If instead Yost played Hart in center and Gross/Dillon in RF, that would probably be my first choice. Come the season, i think Gwynn will end up starting in CF when a righthander is on the mound and when a lefty starts, Hart will play CF and Dillon with be in RF.

Did Gabe Gross kill Ned Yost's cat or something? And would Yost seriously start Gwynn against lefty Ted Lilly if the Cubs really are bumping Zambrano from his Opening Day start? I don't see what's wrong with going Braun-Hart-Dillon in the OF on Opening Day if Lilly is starting.

You're making the assumption that Yost knows they're going to move Lilly back, or that what he even said was a absolute commitment.

I took it as though Gwynn MIGHT be the starter or get the starts taking over for Mike Cameron. I really don't think that's a big deal. Honestly, never been a big Gwynn fan whatsoever, but with Braun in LF, it's not the worst thing in the world for me to see Gwynn starting vs Right Handed hitters. He did play very well early last year, and he looks thicker this year.

But moreover, I think it was just a statement of support for Gwynn than a declaration that he would be the starter.

How about Gold Glove caliber defense? He's a fantastic defender. And yes I think he'd get the chance if his dad wasn't who he was. I don't think that fans would be as big of fans of him, but that's not really important. But yea, he's proven that he's at least a AAAA type player, and he COULD be a poor mans Juan Pierre, which isn't the worst thing in the world as a 4th/5th OF"er.

Well you also have to remember that we have two players playing out of position and Corey Hart is but 3 years removed from being a 3B. With Braun tring to get his footing back there, wouldn't it be best to get a true centerfielder in there? And if they're not going to move Hall to CF, which would be better than Hart in my opinion, then Gwynn would be my next choice. If he bats seventh and leads off, gets on, then the pitcher can move him to second on a bunt and Yost has many options with Kendall up. Slap Gwynn over to third and let Rickie be an RBI guy, or just let Kendall hit and run. And considering Ben's recent propensity to pitch to contact, I think having a good defensive centerfielder would be most appropriate.

When did Gabe Gross become Babe Gross? Last I checked he hit .235 last year. And when did Corey Hart become an accomplished center fielder? He's played what, maybe 50 games total as a professional in CF? Let Corey Hart settle in as a RF. Remember, he's fairly new there too. Keep Gross for times when a pinch HR is needed.

Gwynn is somewhat limited offensively (like this team is lacking in power anyway), but he can run, play defense, make decent contact and oh didn't he get a big hit against SD recently?

Gwynn doesn't make great contact, the same people saying he's a gold glover are the same people saying Braun would be fine at 3B, Gwynn hasn't been Gold Glove caliber while in the majors, Hart needs to learn to play center soon anyway and has already played it, you can never have too much offense, a Gwynn/Kapler platoon stinks

Braun could be the guy who moves to CF eventually to make room for LaPorta, not Hart and I said Gwynn makes "decent" contact. Since when is decent the same as great?

And who said anything about Gwynn being a gold glover?

Let me restate it for you endaround. Gwynn makes more consistent contact than Gross and he's a better CF than Hart.

Gross makes more solid contact, though, and when all is said and done, that's what better hitters do.

I wouldn't be surprised it there was a bit of a reluctance to move Hart around. I'd rather take advantage of the fact that he can fill in in CF, though. Sometime in the future, we might need him there more than we do now.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived