Brewer Fanatic

No one wants to trade for Capuano or Vargas

apirk

wow thanks for that insightful post(that wasnt condecending, just sarcasm). There are 3 weeks left in spring training, and everyone knows, since Doug and others have said that would be looking for prospects instead of veteran players.

Unless some team is really in need of SP they will be with the Brewers and even if we do trade them the Brewers are not going to get much for them.

This isn't a bad topic for debate, but to start a thread I'd ask that you put a little more meat (apologize to Prince Fielder and Toby) in a thread-seeding post. Maybe expound on it by comparing Vargas and Capuano to other bottom of the rotation starters, etc.

Pogo it really wasnt as much a political post as it was to show the craziness of the first post. And to be fair it was ripping both parties essentially rendering it a non political affilliated statement.

My post is a hell of a lot less crazy then every single trade proposal people post involving these two pitchers.

apirk, the problem with your post is that you assume some sense of knowledge about things unavailable to the general public. I guarantee you Melvin has fielded calls on each one of Cap/Vargas/Bush... especially since some of the contact has been reported in the media. You don't get just garbage for a serviceable SP like any of those three, and there are plenty of teams in need of starting pitching.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

At least someone put an end to the political-related commentary....because with a few cocktails under may belt, this would have definitely cost me a point! LOL

Seriously, I think it's amazing that there aren't more rumors concerning our SP surplus.

The Brewers found a taker for Wayne Franklin in 2004. That happened on March 30th. I'd expect a deal the final week of spring.

Don't assume because they haven't already made a deal that there's no interest. I don't think the Brewers really had them on the market up until now. They wanted to protect their depth as long as they could to make sure everyone was healthy (except for minor Gallardo setback they are) and that Parra and Villanueva were ready (they sure look like it).

Their contracts, while not outrageous by today's standards, are why they won't get anything of real value in return. I think Melvin knows this but he'll wait until the right time to maximize it.

Teams are still busy evaluating their own talent and hoping that a young guy will step up and fill one of the starting positions available. There are lots of teams with needs in the pitching department.

I'm pretty sure Bush, Capuano, and Vargas will all be inquired about. I would expect the talks to get serious towards the end of next week and that they may drag into the start of the season as Parra and Villaneuva could be sent down for a month and Gallardo is likely to start on the DL.

There is no rush to move any of them. We are an injury away from wanting to acquire someone similar. If the right move is there it will be made.

It's also not a bad idea to start Parra off in AAA. He will contribute this year but with his injury past the slower we move him along the better. No point in wrecking him for a few April starts when it's August and September that we are really going to need him.

I don't think talks will drag into the season. Most teams want their roster settled by opening day. A lot of deals go down right at the last minute, but once the season starts teams wait to evaluate what they have before making changes.

Also teams are all bunched together in close proximity, both major and minor leagues. That makes it much easier to scout players. Scouts are everywhere in Arizona and Florida.

MLB traderumors suggests that one of our surplus pitchers could entice the Blue Jays now that Casey Janssen is out for the season. In the comments some Jays fans mention their depth at catcher. I'd rather get a mid-level pitching prospect back though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/03/janssen-injury.html

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I'm not familiar with Torontos catching depth, but if we packaged Bush and Gross, that should bring back a pretty damn good catcher in return.

A question for the minor league buffs. Do we really have any "real" catching prospects or just kids who, while working hard, will never be a meaningful major leaguer?

MLB traderumors suggests that one of our surplus pitchers could entice the Blue Jays now that Casey Janssen is out for the season. In the comments some Jays fans mention their depth at catcher. I'd rather get a mid-level pitching prospect back though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/03/janssen-injury.html

Some talk on XM Homeplate about the Jays having a few OF they are looking to trade, so they'd probably start there and try not to trade prospects. It would be sweet to be able to get a solid C prospect though for once.

apirk, the problem with your post is that you assume some sense of knowledge about things unavailable to the general public. I guarantee you Melvin has fielded calls on each one of Cap/Vargas/Bush... especially since some of the contact has been reported in the media. You don't get just garbage for a serviceable SP like any of those three, and there are plenty of teams in need of starting pitching.

I don't assume any knowledge that anyone else doesn't know. I was an jerk I guess because I found it amusing the insane amount of trade proposals on this board involving these two and I can't be the only one.

I do think they could get something for Bush not much but more then what they could get for the other two. Hell I'd love to get something ok for the other two .

And as far as media reports of possible trade rumors http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

The majority of trade rumors out there from the media have zero substance behind them at all.

I'm not familiar with Torontos catching depth, but if we packaged Bush and Gross, that should bring back a pretty damn good catcher in return.
Do you really think that Toronto would want those 2 back so soon?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Blue Jays were supposedly looking to trade A.J. Burnett during the winter Link. Wonder if they might be interested to trade Burnett for Cappy and Vargas?

I'm gonna say probably not. An injury prone 1 or 2 for two 5s is not a very good deal for them unless they just wanted to dump contract.

Archived