Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun is a confident young man

splitterpfj

"They're not gonna pitch around Prince too long with me behind him," said Braun without even a hint of cockiness.

That quote is from http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080310&content_id=2417751&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil.

How can you not love this guy? He is that good, and he knows it. He doesn't say other guys are not good, he doesn't say no one can beat him, he just says "I can do this, and I will." You have to love that - it's why he can hit like he does, and it's why he's going to be an outstanding outfielder sooner than later - he knows what he can do, and that's just the way it is for him.

I'm sure fans of other teams are going to hate him, and think he's arrogant, etc, but I don't think that's the case. I think he just knows he's good, so he expects good results.

I already hope Braun plays his whole career in Milwaukee.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's just really matter of fact when he speaks. When he makes a statement like that, there's never a smack-talkin' tone in his voice.

He knows what he wants to say and says it without any "ums" or "you knows".

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As long as he stays coachable and realizes that he still has a lot to learn, I don't have too big of an issue with "confident" comments like that.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

One of the first things Ryan talked about when he stormed out of the gate last year was the fact that he wasn't satisfied: he wasn't being patient and drawing his walks. It definitely sounds like he isn't content to rest on his laurels.

Another cool thing about Braun is that he will eventually be teaming up with his former college rival, Matt LaPorta, whom played for Florida and against Braun a few times in his college career.

I think once LaPorta comes in, it will push Braun even harder to succeed and vice versa. It could become a scary 3-4-5 in the order once LaPorta comes up.

But Braun is something the Brewers haven't had in awhile, a guy who knows he can be better, a guy who true confidence in himself and someone other teams pitchers will grow to truly hate as a player and person. I can see somewhere down the road where Braun may get beaned after his post-homer antics, which could turn into a real team builder, or maybe not depending on how Yost "picks the battle."

Here are some of the things we need to fear, some according to my fellow posters:

1) Carries around a mirror telling himself how "handsome" he is.

2) Talking in the third person

3) Starts to chase skirts after games, creating awful slump situations

4) Hires Scott Boras

5) Starts being featured in GQ or Esquire in tuxes and basically tells people he is "the hottest player on the team" and can get any girl he wants.

6) Names his pets after himself, or has a hairless cat and becomes a villain look-a-like.

7) Becomes a member of Jose Canseco's party list

8) Starts trying to date supermodels or models for that matter who tell him he deserves better than Milwaukee or creating a "bigger ego" for himself.

Here is what would be cool at Miller Park:

1) Becomes so loved by the college aged women who attend UWM or Marquette, drawing much better clientele and single gals to the stadium that create signs saying, "Braun will you marry me."

One of the first things Ryan talked about when he stormed out of the gate last year was the fact that he wasn't satisfied: he wasn't being patient and drawing his walks. It definitely sounds like he isn't content to rest on his laurels.

I recall this, too. It puzzled me at first at the time, but obviously Braun needs to start BBing more... just like he has in college and the minors. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif As long as he can sustain - at least - that familiar 1 BB/10 AB, he's going to be an absolute terror for years to come.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Confidence in yourself and what you do gives you an advantage. In Braun's case, the mental edge he possesses is almost as valuable as the physical tools he displays. It's what makes average players good players and good players great players.

Never mistake confidence for cockiness. Although, it's a fine line.

"Happy"

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Braun reminds me somewhat of Manny except without the goofy behavior like wearing headphones on the field. Both guys just were natural born hitters and they know they can rake.

So long as Braun is a good teammate, his high confidence level is a good thing. Deion Sanders had a cocky reputation, yet he backed it up on the field and every teammate of Sanders i ever heard get interviewed had only positive things to say about him.

It's a bit hard to fathom, but Deion also had a bit if a humble streak. He said his reason for playing baseball was that it was a challenge for him; he was far from the best. In contrast, football came easy.

I believe I just prefer the modesty of Hall of Famers like Molitor, Yount, Aaron and Matthews. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Braun, his abilities, and what he brings to the Brewers. I guess I'm just afraid of a Sheffield like episode. I'm just not about guys thumping their chests and telling everyone how great you are. If you're great everyone will see it and know. I'm pretty sure most of MLB players have confidence in themselves, too much of it may be a turn off. Sorry to swim against the current on this one.

DD, the thing is, he really isn't thumping his chest in my opinion, he's just saying he'll make teams pay if they pitch around Fielder. The next thing he said in that interview is that the lineup has a lot of great hitters, implying that pitching around someone will do you no good.

I understand your point, and I certainly don't want to see him flip out into the Sheffield Zone, but so far I see this as a very positive thing. He just knows he can do it.

I think we are all going to think even more of young Ryan Braun once word leaks on who has been hanging around the Brewers clubhouse in Maryvale...

I was hoping MolitorFan might have noticed and was going to mention it in his wonderful recap of his week down in AZ.

Any female sightings, MF???

I believe I just prefer the modesty of Hall of Famers like Molitor, Yount, Aaron and Matthews. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Braun, his abilities, and what he brings to the Brewers. I guess I'm just afraid of a Sheffield like episode. I'm just not about guys thumping their chests and telling everyone how great you are. If you're great everyone will see it and know. I'm pretty sure most of MLB players have confidence in themselves, too much of it may be a turn off. Sorry to swim against the current on this one.

I agree. I also think Braun and Fielder's attitudes are going to drive them out of Milwaukee. Fortunately, it seems like LaPorta has a very contrasting demeanor (Hart probably too). So of the three big bats (hopefully Matt fufills his potential), I think LaPorta is the most likely to take an extension or two with the Brewers.

I think we are all going to think even more of young Ryan Braun once word leaks on who has been hanging around the Brewers clubhouse in Maryvale...

I was hoping MolitorFan might have noticed and was going to mention it in his wonderful recap of his week down in AZ.

Any female sightings, MF???

Wow, this is interesting, but no, I did not see any player girlfriends other than LaPorta's girlfriend. I am intrigued as who is could be...and thanks for the kind words

Archived