Brewer Fanatic

Munson, Rivera or Rottino?; Latest: Munson clears waivers, outrighted to AAA

jwill535

maybe Rottino would be the callup, but then why wasn't he in the mix during the spring? I don't see why the org's opinion of him would change drastically over the next month or two (iow, before a vet like Munson would be able to request his release).

Also, I don't get why people care so much about righty vs. lefty when it's not a platoon situation. Who cares if Munson bats lefty? He still hits like garbage, so what's the difference? I'm happy to see that the team looked beyond that. Munson has caught 120 games as a pro, 118 of them in the last 2 years. He's not really a catcher. Rivera is.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares if Munson bats lefty? He still hits like garbage, so what's the difference?

I've never gotten that either. The major reason to worry about handedness is to get the platoon advantage. If a batter has the platoon advantage and still is bad, it's worthless.

rivera or munson - does it really matter? kendall is going to start 140+ games and yost never uses his backup catcher off the bench. so what does that leave for the Rivera - 20 starts, maybe 100 plate appearances, and some late inning defensive work in blowouts.

this is why I am happy that rottino is in AAA developing his catching skills. sitting on the bench in milwaukee will do nothing for him...

this is why I am happy that rottino is in AAA developing his catching skills. sitting on the bench in milwaukee will do nothing for him...

That is a great point, hopefully he can "catch" on quick and get his defense down so he could possibly be our catcher next season in the bigs. He has a pretty good bat, now he has to fine tune his D to be a big league caliber catcher.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I've never gotten that either. The major reason to worry about handedness is to get the platoon advantage. If a batter has the platoon advantage and still is bad, it's worthless.

Or pinch hitting. Had this been any other position than catcher handedness would probably have been more significant. Ned seems to prefer to give a starter the day off when there isn't a game the next day so they get two full days off. Who the opposing pitcher is has little to do with it so a lefty, righty tandem is even less significant.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived